Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2008, 10:46   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn
Hylas Yachts

What is the opinion at your end of the world about Hylas cc yachts?
we here in Europe have no idea about them but they seem to be ok for cruising and pricing wise ok compared with the Hallberg Rasseys and Najads and Oysters here
andreavanduyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 11:14   #2
cruiser

Sorry to have to reply again.

I've been aboard these for a sail in the Caribbean. Better than the Gulfstars, that's one thing for sure!

The Hylas is a fast boat with a more modern underwater shape. They seem to cruise the world without incident. The one I was on was solidly constructed, and I might add... they are beautiful.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 11:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
I'll second Sean's remarks - They are a fast, comfortable and well thought out boat. Not too sure about storage, but very nice below.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 11:21   #4

Boat: Stevens 47
We have a Stevens 47 which is the exact same boat as a Hylas 47....same molds and all.....I LOVE the way our boat handles the ocean...it is very sea-kindly and gentle. I'd take this boat anywhere (and I am doing JUST that in about 4 weeks!!). The hardware is solid and the construction is top notch....HIGHLY recommended!
Old 22-02-2008, 11:24   #5

I am in the process of buying a Stevens 47... the same boat as a Hylas 47 (they changed the name after the first 58 boats were built). They have a great reputation from what I have researched. John Kretschmer for one is a huge advocate.

The Stevens/Hylas 47 and 49 have fully encapsulated lead ballast, hand laid solid glass hulls, great hull shape that makes them both fast and seakindly, full skeg hung rudder, powerful sloop or cutter rig, 3 cabins and a great interior layout, airex cored decks, the hull to deck joint is bonded and then fully glassed over from below and then the toe rail is through bolted.... very strong. Each hull side has 4 longitudinal glassed in foam stringers for stiffness. Access to the hull and thru hulls is very good, lots of storage below and space.....

Plenty of circumnavigated. Kretschmer wrote that the worst seas he has seen in over 25 years as a professional delivery skipper was while sailing a Hylas 47... over 25 ft waves.... and she handled it great.

I researched all I could find, and was convinced enough to buy (deal is now pending survey).

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 11:44   #6
Marine Service Provider

Thanks so far guys and Terry good luck with your offer/hope you get her
andreavanduyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 14:43   #7

Excellent boats. Great sailing and built to go anywhere. I have sailed on the 44/46/49 and 54 and while they are all different, I would consider any of them excellent boats for cruising and living aboard. Since most of those produced in the 80's and through the mid-90's were used in charter (CYC of St.Thomas) one must be careful about a good hull and engine survey.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 14:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvanduyn View Post
What is the opinion at your end of the world about Hylas cc yachts?
we here in Europe have no idea about them but they seem to be ok for cruising and pricing wise ok compared with the Hallberg Rasseys and Najads and Oysters here
I never sailed on one, but spent plenty of time admiring them at various boat shows here in the US, earlier this decade, when I was shopping for my own boat. Last time I was on one, at the 2007 Annapolis boat show, I actually thought the main cabin was a bit small, considering the overall size of boat (this was a 56 footer I believe). I would say that a similar sized Oyster or Contest has a better layout. Some people people might like the ample and fine teak woodwork that could be considered a hallmark of Hylas, others may prefer a more modern, european style, light interior. No doubt they seem to be build very sturdy, in Taiwan I believe. The designers of their various models (Frers, S&S) are top notch and ensure fast performance.
hansdg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 08:32   #9

Boat: Rhodes 32
From my experience as a broker, I have found that of all the yachts, one of the most universally liked designs are Hylas yachts. While other brands, like Cabo Rico for instance, appeal to a niche audience, Hylas yachts have a broad appeal. They exemplify what mainstream sailors desire, have done so for over 20 years, and this does not seem to be changing anytime soon. Three of their most attractive features are in order: centerline queens, swim platforms, and build quality. Essentially, Hylases combine all the attractive features of Hunters and Beneteaus with high quality construction.

The centerline queen berth has become a real divider in what people purchase. In general, people look for a center cockpit-centerline queen orientation. When a husband and wife come aboard a boat, we stereotype that the wife runs to the heads and galley. The husband runs to the engine room. But both gravitate to the aft stateroom and almost assuredly marvel at the beauty of a centerline queen berth. Although the berth is not the most sensible offshore, liveaboards know they will spend a significant time at dock. They want the comfort of a regular bed in a foreign yachting world. Hylas was a forerunner of this style way back to the Stevens 47 that Rangiroo and Tspringer note. John Kretschmer's excellent review is right on. John is nice guy and runs many helpful seminars for would-be owners if you check his schedule at yayablues.com. All Hylas yachts these days have gorgeous centerline berths aft. For the mainstream boat buyer, this desire eliminates most aft cockpit designs as well as center cockpit yachts with an athwartship king or split twins aft. This center cockpit/centerline queen vs. aft cockpit/offset berth is a main division in the type of yacht a person is looking for and purchases these days.

The swim platform, i.e. sugar scoop stern, is maybe the second most desired feature people look for these days. Traditional designs like the Gulfstars ssullivan mentions have regular transoms in various shapes. Popular cruiser models these days have a platform glassed to the stern with steps. Hylas was one of the first to really get this idea. Deeply involved with chartering as camaraderie mentions, Hylas decided in the early 1990's to add swim platforms to their successful 44 and 47 designs. Their charter guests were clamoring for this feature. These eventually became the current 46 and 49 designs. Today, we also have Frers 54 and 70 designs with swim platforms. You do not have to worry about charter effects anymore as CYC stopped chartering operations in 2000. These swim platforms make climbing aboard easy from the dock or water. While not as essential as the centerline queen, the swim platform is sought after and eliminates another swath of designs.

Finally, the build quality really leaves Hylas with the few other manufacturers Xpets mentions like Najads, Oysters, and Hallberg-Rassies. The build quality test eliminates the Hunters and Beneteaus that combine all the right design features without the quality. Yes, Hylases are built in Taiwan as hansdg53 notes at arguably the finest yard in Kaishung, Queen Long Marine. Queen Long has built yachts for around 30 years starting with the Kelly Peterson 44/46 and uses all the best techniques. Down below, the light teak interior and stunning joiner work sets them apart.

The centerline queen, swim platform, and build quality typtify these fine yachts. While all the designs Xpets mentions are great, I am biased and vote for Hylas. Additional attractive features are the asthetics, shoal draft, performance, and price of Hylases. A final attraction is the good people involved in these yachts. Everyone I have met has been first class.

RJ
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 21:39   #10

Boat: Looking for a boat
Stevens 47, Hylas

I circumnavigated on a Stevens 47 with my wife and two children, returning about 7 years ago or so. I was pleased with how the boat performed. There were some cruising boats that could pass us up in the light airs, but overall we made good time and the motion of the boat was comfortable.

I particularly liked the interior layout. I am currently planning another circumnavigation starting off in the fall (without kids) and plan to buy a Stevens or Hylas, although I will, of course, consider other boats.

Dave
sv Rubaiyat, a Stevens 47
Old 20-08-2011, 18:41   #11

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Hylas Yachts

I have a couple of questions regarding the Hylas 46

1. I the pulman style forward berth comfortable for 2 people. It looks a bit small from the pictures i've seen.

2. The cockpit seems to place the helmsman quite high resulting the dodger / cocktpit screen looking very "upright". Does the helmsman, crew, feel exposed and subject to exagurated lateral moments of the vessel.

Leighton
Leighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 19:13   #12

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

The 54's have a very poor rudder design with nothing but foam and plastic in the lower half. Three boats snapped their rudders off in the Caribbean passage one season. The guys that sell them (father and son) should be selling used cars. The yard is by far not the best in Taiwan. Look at a Taswell 49 if you want a well built boat at a similar price. .Yes, that is a Taswell 58 in my avitar.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 20:21   #13

Boat: Rhodes 32
Beautiful looking Taswell too. Wish Ta Shing still built sailboats? I think the Taswell 44 is a sweet design.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 06:53   #14
Marine Service Provider

ORION 50 sailboat on sailboatdata.com

how about this Ta Shing built real sailor?

Tags
Hylas