Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 11:53   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I am going to add a few more things to this since this thread seems to be doing pretty well. I really love CDs and Albergs, they are tough boats but I hate, and I mean hate having two settees running parallel down either side of the boat. I think that basically negates the ability of a boat to be lived aboard. That leaves only the v berth and cockpit as places to lounge around. I know this narrows things down pretty seriously but hey.

The other thing is that I am seeing a lot of people come up with 36 through 38 ft boats. But my girlfriend and I are not averse to going small, very small. Any thoughts on pocket cruisers with good interiors? We have been looking very seriously at Nor'seas (I know not cheap and not fast). We like the size, interior and ease of handling that comes with a smaller boat. We would like something that isn't a nightmare getting in and out of the slip.
Well, Alberg 30 has already been mentioned, but it's worth mentioning again.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:09   #32

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Of all the smaller boats I've seen the Newports have the largest interiors. Older Columbias are cheap and tough. Tartans are pretty well put together.
Good luck. There are so many to choose from. For resale purposes I'd opt for Catalina or the more popular production boats.
regards,
Old 01-09-2009, 12:10   #33

Well, the intent of this thread seems to be getting fuzzy... but that's allright! There are a lot of 30 footers that will sail decent and have more room than the Norsea 27. I had as much fun in my 30 footer as I have in other boats up to 47 ft. (well, maybe not my cat!) You're right... at 30 -35 feet, the mainsail is up in a couple of quick pulls and life is easy. The J35 will sail better, cost less and have more room! A J35 with a battenless main and small genoa or even Jib will sail circles around a N27. I guess for this discussion you need to decide how big a factor that performance is... However, it will never be a secure feeling, live aboard home that will take you anywhere like a Taiwan Tank will!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 14:25   #34

Boat: a sailing boat
You do not need to turn a J35 into a cruiser because you can go right for the cruising J35 (I think they marketed them as J35 "c"). And by all standards a J35 is not a 'flat out racer'. A Class 40 is. But the J being a US boat you guys over there probably know best.

If the quality (not the original which was anyway good but the one resulting from use and misuse) I think it is balanced by very good info availability on this boat - at least one knows where problems may crop up - not the case for shorter series or one-offs.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 00:28   #35

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
I dont have one but I have to say Sabres are beautiful boats that sail like a dream.
Sheesh that is a cheap boat. You don't liveaboard do you?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 00:32   #36

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You do not need to turn a J35 into a cruiser because you can go right for the cruising J35 (I think they marketed them as J35 "c"). And by all standards a J35 is not a 'flat out racer'. A Class 40 is. But the J being a US boat you guys over there probably know best.
b.
They all draw close to like seven feet. To me that pushes us into more of the racer category. The interiors are a bit spartan too.

The CAL 33 looks like a nice liveaboard for the money.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:59   #37
CLOD

Boat: none
I like my late model Cal-39. Sails and handles well, but is a mid displacemt boat.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:05   #38
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
What is the very greatest hits list for practical coastal cruisers? I am thinking 27-35 ft, good to very good sailing performance, medium draft, modest accomodations, modest price, medium looks, ages well,
The most comfortable we have seen are the Hunters.

Sit your butt in a saloon cushion of a Hunter and you will keep sinking till your ass hits the keel.

They are truly wonderful!

Well set up... should I say: excellently set up for people from the USA who love the RV comforts of home.

You should really check them out.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:09   #39
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
Caribbean to Aus is easy, it's downwind, now if they had gone the other way..............
Goin' the other way ain't cruisin', ya dill!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:44   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Our boat fits this category, I think. Westerly Fulmar. They were the English's idea of a racer/cruiser in the 1980's. Stiff, points well, fractional rig. The difference is the layup of the hull is much beefier than the American idea of a racer cruiser. No liner, teak cabinetry. Ten one-inch SS Keelbolts. Comes from the factory with harness clip-in points, if that indicates something. Much more storage than the typical American 32' cruiser. There is one in on Yachtworld in Florida. No idea about that particular boat.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:54   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
I wold also second the Hunters for their space for the $$$. A slipmate has a Hunter 34, and is huge inside and out in the cockpit.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:09   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One other major consideration may be the balance of the boat. I find that when I go out, I frequently do so with inexperienced passengers and find myself playing single-handed charter captain.

With my Tayana 37, once the sails are balanced, I can hand the wheel to an inexperienced person and feel fairly confident about going forward to tidy up or make a tweak. I have been on many boats with abbreviated undersides on which I would not feel comfortable at all turning the helm over to an amateur.

Sure, autopilot, but that's a sledge hammer for a larger issue about tracking and stability.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:59   #43

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
sneuman......Not going to argue the point of race boats gone crusing.. But I invite you to go sailing with me some day.. out where the water gets deep and the waves get high.. thats where a race boat struts its stuff... My "pig' is good for a 200+ mile day and thats with the wife making cookies and my granson driving...
Maybe in the 20 foot range, I can understand your belief but not in the bigger boats..
Mine weighs in around 20k packed for cruising and 12k of that is keel.. down almost 8 feet.. and from the time she was empty until we filled her up for cruising.. I might have lost 2 inches of waterline..
And I'm speaking from experance , I'm living the dream.......
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:43   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
sneuman......Not going to argue the point of race boats gone crusing.. But I invite you to go sailing with me some day.. out where the water gets deep and the waves get high.. thats where a race boat struts its stuff... My "pig' is good for a 200+ mile day and thats with the wife making cookies and my granson driving...
Maybe in the 20 foot range, I can understand your belief but not in the bigger boats..
Mine weighs in around 20k packed for cruising and 12k of that is keel.. down almost 8 feet.. and from the time she was empty until we filled her up for cruising.. I might have lost 2 inches of waterline..
And I'm speaking from experance , I'm living the dream.......
Ray -- I'm not going to argue with you either. Nobody, least of all me, is claiming there are any absolutes here. Congrats on your 8.3-knot average and congrats on "living the dream." I too have seen the "big stuff" (28' keelboat; 30-40' waves in Typhoon Kai Tak 2005 in the S. China Sea). Perhaps your wife should have come along to bake us cookies?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:59   #45

Boat: a sailing boat
I can see many people like the Hunters. I like them too - very nice layout, way above most European competition. I think if the boat is meant as a liveaboard and cruising near home (say Florida to the West Indies) then I think they are good value.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote