Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 06:04   #16

Boat: Endeavour E40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty28 View Post
With all due respect and it's none of my business, but where in God's Green Acres are people coming up with the funds to purchase these boats. I must be the only fool in the middle of a depression that has impacted my ability to even purchase second clothes!! Oh well.
Ain't it the TRUTH!!!
My retail business is failing...... my 401K is in the crapper..........
bills are mounting and some toys may have to go.......
including my Endeavour E40!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:59   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I managed to get through 91, and this looks the same, or WORSE. It won't be easy that's for sure. I just keep working on the boat. Hopefully it's ready before I am!

johnny,

Buy what is going to make you happy!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:23   #18

thanks people for your input.
cheer johnny
johnny47.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:36   #19

There was a family that cruised the Med and the Caribbean on one a couple years ago. Maybe a google search? I like the boats and would not be afraid of the deep draft unless I wanted to sail where I knew it would be prohibative. The rig is managable at 1,000 sq ft with a #3.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 19:30   #20

Re: iam thinking of buying a first 47.7 advice please good or bad

Hi there Johnny
I am too about to do the same thing and just wondered how you got on with your voyage? I realise this post was created 11 years ago so I imagine you have lots of stories to tell about your travels on the vessel, I'd love to here them.
Cheers.
Shady Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 21:33   #21

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Most 47.7 were meant for the charter market and had 4 cabins. If you can find... I mean a big IF... you'll b e better off. As for needing a large crew, a mate sailed his with wife and 2 young kids. All lines had been led to the cockpit. Enjoy!
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 00:23   #22

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Bah HUMBUG. Got suckered into a Lazarus over 10 years old.

Sorry chaps; I'll read slower next time.

:-(
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:48   #23

Boat: Beneteau 47.7

This is an old post but I had to chime in.

I have a 47.7 tall rig and love it! I single hand it all the time. I'll fly the asymmetrical chute off the bow roller. Stern tie, shore tie, never a problem. The boat was purchased in the UK and is in Greece currently . Occasionally I can't get into some parts of a marina but I prefer to anchor anyway. I you are going to the Bahamas I can't speak to that. Modifications I've done for the sake of single handing are Electrify a halyard winch, run tack lines for reefing to the cockpit , and install a remote switch for the anchor windlass at the helm. 50' of chain in 35 seconds and do the math. Oh yeah my boat had no furling so I installed that too and Lazy Jacks.

Fantastic boat. The big rig lets you sail when others switch on the motor. I remember coming across Biscay in the first season and letting go of the helm to do something. I turned back and didn't touch it for 30 minutes. Tracks to weather like a train.

Missing it now especially during this bloody Covid.
Bob Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 02:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Findlay View Post
This is an old post but I had to chime in.

I have a 47.7 tall rig and love it! I single hand it all the time. I'll fly the asymmetrical chute off the bow roller. Stern tie, shore tie, never a problem. The boat was purchased in the UK and is in Greece currently . Occasionally I can't get into some parts of a marina but I prefer to anchor anyway. I you are going to the Bahamas I can't speak to that. Modifications I've done for the sake of single handing are Electrify a halyard winch, run tack lines for reefing to the cockpit , and install a remote switch for the anchor windlass at the helm. 50' of chain in 35 seconds and do the math. Oh yeah my boat had no furling so I installed that too and Lazy Jacks.

Fantastic boat. The big rig lets you sail when others switch on the motor. I remember coming across Biscay in the first season and letting go of the helm to do something. I turned back and didn't touch it for 30 minutes. Tracks to weather like a train.

Missing it now especially during this bloody Covid.
Someone else said they were useless under 15knits of wind. You reckon they are decent even in light winds? I’m looking at one tomorrow. Never sailed one though.
Staggerinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 16:06   #25

Boat: 45f5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerinn View Post
Someone else said they were useless under 15knits of wind. You reckon they are decent even in light winds? I’m looking at one tomorrow. Never sailed one though.

I have the predecessor (45f5) with the tall rig/deep keel. If the 47.7 is anything like ours, the light air performance is a real bonus. We have been sailing when others are motoring at the same speed. We have also cruised with reduced sail or only a headsail at similar speeds to other heavier boats with full sail. Mine is usually used doublehanded or sometimes single. You do need to start reefing earlier, but no detriment to speed. The deeper keel does need some extra focused navigation in shallower cruising areas and sometime need to utilise tidal advantages, but i dont thing the racing rig/keel is a definative no, unless you are always in very shallow areas.
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote