Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 05:29   #1

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65
Ice, on a shoe-string

Ahoy everyone!

Although I have yet quite a lot of water to cover in terms of experience and on the market to buy a milebuilding experience daysailer, I have this dream of -one day- be able to cruise on the far northern and southern latitudes.
So, again, a lot of questions arise:

For that pourpose, I reckon that a extremely strong boat would be a must, but unfortunatly my budget will never -ever- fit the prices on a Gilbert-Caroff or any other similar boat , so I ask you: Is it feasable just to even think in doing it on a used and old small steel/aluminium boat? One that could be bought without endless resources (meaning... I´ll always be on a shoe-string)? And if so, which designs should one be looking at? Ahhh... single-handling, all the way.
I know that some really small fiberglass or even plastic boats have made it through the north passage, but I think metal would be far more relaxing...

Thanking you in advance,
Messias.
messias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:10   #2

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Ice, on a shoe-string

I got to east Antarctica in Snow Petrel, A cheap simple 34 foot steel yacht with no real drama's. Sounds like you are on the right track with your thinking if you are on a budget.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:11   #3

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Yes!

Go steel, monohull, second hand, 30' - 36', from France, Holland, UK, S Africa, Australia or NZ.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:42   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

You really need to read the book "Berserk".
A truly incredible story about a Man who sails an Albin Vega 27 from Sweden to Antarctica. He picks up two crew in Patagonia and the three of them spend the summer sailing around ice. An adventure that I would only care to experience in print!
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:44   #5

Hi snowpetrel,
I´m loving (and dreaming) your blog! Now for a quick reality chek, do you actually have an "estimate" on how much (and over your complete refit) did that beautifull "southern" boat of yours costed to upgrade? Not the boat, but the refit.

Jimbo485, yes, that´s what I had in mind. something on the low 30´s range and slowly ice-upgrade it.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
You really need to read the book "Berserk
Hi Liam,

Yes, i´m familiar with that one. And it would be a dream trip, but i love my wife and kids! ahahahah
I´d like to do it in a "welded" vessel!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:26   #7

Here is a Steel Caroff boat reasonably cheap. With a bit of work it should do the job, and there are probably cheaper boats out there.

1980 VULCAIN V STEEL CENTER COCKPIT Sail New and Used Boats for

Or if you want to spend a bit more for a proven boat :-

1991 Trireme 38 MK IV Stainless Steel Sail New and Used Boats

Don't underestimate the weather down there though. Most boats that get into trouble have been rolled and dismasted, and you can't rely on a quick rescue, so best to upsize on the rigging.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:06   #8

WOW....
What a dream boat, that second one! But in that stupidly-out-of-my-budget-range!

As for the first one, the price is almost right!... which leads me into another issue when "shopping" for one:
I wonder if this kind of boat is a "suitable" boat to learn from, or just too damn rough and only for a second phase... so, bottom line, daysailer first and "that" later, or go for it and just "get used to it".

Ahoy,
Messias.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:41   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Gosh, if I had Ice on my shoestrings I would sail to a warmer climate!

But that's just woosy me... good luck in finding your icebreaker at a reasonable price.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-05-2013, 09:54   #10

Boat: Ed Hostman Tristar 38 Trimaran
So here's a question for you steel guys... How go you survey the steel? Do you X-ray a candidate or is there some other mechanism? When a mast is struck by lightening and there is damage must conservative minded people would replace the mast not knowing the extent of metal damage not visible to the eye. Same goes and more so for electrolysis. Or can you find electrolysis through sounding the hull?
CapnBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:25   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
You really need to read the book "Berserk".
A truly incredible story about a Man who sails an Albin Vega 27 from Sweden to Antarctica. He picks up two crew in Patagonia and the three of them spend the summer sailing around ice. An adventure that I would only care to experience in print!
Yes and they got more than half the crew dead on the next visit in a bigger steel boat.

A Berserk expedition gone wrong
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:29   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBrown View Post
So here's a question for you steel guys... How go you survey the steel? Do you X-ray a candidate or is there some other mechanism? When a mast is struck by lightening and there is damage must conservative minded people would replace the mast not knowing the extent of metal damage not visible to the eye. Same goes and more so for electrolysis. Or can you find electrolysis through sounding the hull?
I would imagine you could get an ultrasound technician to check hull thickness, the hull would have to be scraped bare where ever he/she checked but it's pretty straight forward.

The question then becomes what were the original scantlings and what is the minimum acceptable, the boat is going to slowly loose thickness overtime unless the coating is religiously kept up.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:33   #13

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

You can dream about the Northwest Passage across Northern Canada all you want but you will never do it on a shoestring, when you enter Canada you will have to show substantial funds if you plan to head north, if you go without permission they can and may confiscate your boat and deport you mainly because of the Berserker idiot mentioned in an earlier post.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
You can dream about the Northwest Passage across Northern Canada all you want but you will never do it on a shoestring, when you enter Canada you will have to show substantial funds if you plan to head north
Howdy nwdiver,
I meant "shoestring"...boat "shopping" wise.
I´m not the guy who would just set sail with a backpack. That´s "adventure" and for me "adventures" are for somebody else. I like trips carefully planned and going in withou authorization it´s out of the question.
I work with immigration also, so I know how countries can get "angry" when things don´t go as they say they should, so when you say "substancial funds", exactly what are we talking about? Because there IS a legally standart minimum from where they will -or not- approve.

Ahoy,
Messias.
Old 09-05-2013, 13:29   #15

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by messias View Post
Howdy nwdiver,
I meant "shoestring"...boat "shopping" wise.
I´m not the guy who would just set sail with a backpack. That´s "adventure" and for me "adventures" are for somebody else. I like trips carefully planned and going in withou authorization it´s out of the question.
I work with immigration also, so I know how countries can get "angry" when things don´t go as they say they should, so when you say "substancial funds", exactly what are we talking about? Because there IS a legally standart minimum from where they will -or not- approve.

Ahoy,
Messias.

Arctic Rescues cost around $25-35,000 and more, they want to see that you can pay if they have to pick you up of the beach somewhere, forget about them dealing with your boat, they will put out a notice to mariners to watch out for it. The Canadian Coast Guard's only mandate is “life saving” property comes a 3rd after cost. The Canadian Coast Guard is a civilian organization under Transport Canada not a para military organization. I do know one vessel had to put up a large bond in the 200k level.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote