Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2019, 11:14   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42DS,
ICW depth for northern Keys

Ahoy,

Does anyone know the maximum draft for the ICW Between Miami and the Keys?

I ask because it looks like some of the cuts in the Northern Keys look like they shallow to 5-6' range at the ends.

We are bring our boat around from the Sarasota in the Gulf to Stewart FL and can't use the canal as our mast is to high.

If there are other relevant forums for this kind of trip (we have started and our now at Ft. Myers Beach) it would be great!

Maurie
Maurie Rosenber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: ICW depth for northern Keys

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Maurie.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:56   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Take Hawk Channel - much easier!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:36   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I wouldn’t want to take over a 5’ draft on the Florida Bay side of the Keys. I much prefer the bay side as it’s a gunkholers delight and there are anchorages everywhere.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:50   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

you need to go around Key West into the Hawk Channel unless you have a real shallow boat
Old 12-10-2019, 05:55   #6

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

When I was through there last spring there were places where I had less than a foot of water under my keels and I draw 4 feet, but it was at or near low tide. The worst area was between marker 65 and 90. Roughly Tavernier creek to Teatable key channel. That area is best done at high tide if you draw more than me. My guess is that more than 5.5 is not doable at any tide if you want any safety margin.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:57   #7
smj

ICW depth for northern Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
you need to go around Key West into the Hawk Channel unless you have a real shallow boat

Plenty of depth for most boats running from Marco Island under 7 mile bridge to Hawk Channel.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I wouldn’t want to take over a 5’ draft on the Florida Bay side of the Keys. I much prefer the bay side as it’s a gunkholers delight and there are anchorages everywhere.
I agree. We took a five foot draft (wing keel) down the inside route a few years ago. Near Cotton Key, we started leaving a sand trail in the water, but were still moving along. After about a quarter mile of that, we stopped hard, and abruptly, in the middle of the channel.

We had to use the dinghy to heel ourselves off. Later, at our next haul out, we could seen the deformation of one of the wings of the lead keel, where we had obviously ridden up on a protruding rock.

Later I talked to a Towboat US operator who told me he estimated the chances of a five draft making it through most days, without hitting, was about 50/50. The problem being those protruding rocks that didn't get removed when they first dredged it out.

I've decided that (the rocks) is why there is often a difference of opinion on what drafts can be taken on that route. If you miss them, you report there is plenty of depth. If you hit one, you say it's not deep enough.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:16   #9
CLOD

Quote:
Plenty of depth for most boats running from Marco Island under 7 mile bridge to Hawk Channel.
says the cat owner to the deep draft mono owner
Old 12-10-2019, 08:39   #10
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
says the cat owner to the deep draft mono owner

You’ve got a point there, but honestly we’ve done that trip more times than I can remember and can’t remember seeing anything less than 8-9’. Also seen a ton of deep drafted monohulls make the trip.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:40   #11

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

Our prior boat had a 5' draft. We did the run down the inside numerous times because the Admiral liked "The color of the water" . While we never ran hard aground, there were numerous occasions when we felt our wing keel make contact with the sand. We never encountered the stone bottom mentioned above. I learned not to give myself an ulcer by staring at the depth gauge because we so frequently indicated six inches to zero under the keel. You take this route you takes your chances.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:35   #12

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurie Rosenber View Post
Ahoy,

Does anyone know the maximum draft for the ICW Between Miami and the Keys?

I ask because it looks like some of the cuts in the Northern Keys look like they shallow to 5-6' range at the ends.

We are bring our boat around from the Sarasota in the Gulf to Stewart FL and can't use the canal as our mast is to high.

If there are other relevant forums for this kind of trip (we have started and our now at Ft. Myers Beach) it would be great!

Maurie

===

We go from Marco Island to the Channel 5 bridge east of Marathon using the so called "Yacht Channel" which skirts along the edge of Everglades Park and Florida Bay. No problem with our 5 1/2 ft draft but pay close attention to the charts. From the Channel 5 bridge we run in Hawk Channel north towards Biscayne Bay and Miami. If you draw more than 6 ft you'll need to take Moser Pass west of Marathon or go south through Key West.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:47   #13

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Quote:
This is the way to go... Through Florida Bay in the marked channel to 7-mile bridge. Have done it multiple times with 6'4" and 8' draft sailing vessels. No need to go all the way to Key West.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:47   #14

Boat: Watkins 29

If your boat is too big to fit under the bridges on the caloosahatchee...sail around Key West and stay out beyond the reef, weather permitting! You will pickup a 3 or 4 it favorable current if you get to the gulf stream.

I've done it many times from Key West to Miami, usually after Key West Race week in January..it's an overnight trip in blue water...but.. pick your weather window. The Gulf Stream can be nasty.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:07   #15
CLOD

Well all I can say is that I'm going from Gulfport MS to Marathon Fl end of the month in my 6'4" draft boat. That's about a 580 mile trip and I'm not inclined to save 17 miles to take the shortcut to the 7 Mile bridge instead of going around Key West.

Tags
depth, icw