Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 19:27   #16

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: ICW from Rockport, TX to Galveston/Kemah, TX?

This is where ais comes in very handy. The ability to see an oncoming tow and know their name, so you can call them and establish passing protocol. Otherwise you are calling westbound tow at mile marker xxx, this is eastbound sailing vessel, blah, blah, blah. And yourself always need to keep up with what mile you are located. If you give wrong mile marker, they will ignore you thinking you are calling someone else.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 10:27   #17

Thanks so much everyone. Locks are all open and we will get an early start on Saturday. Just want to make sure I have all the required equipment for lock passage as far as the Coast Guard is concerned. From my reading, not sure if I need one or two 50 ft. lines to tie up in the lock. Any advice on this? I know there are some extra lines onboard, but they may not be a full 50'. Do I really need 2?
nneico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 11:35   #18

Boat: 1984 hunter 34

They are really only flood gates.Not locks that you tie up to anything. The current can be strong when you are crossing the Brazos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 14:50   #19

Boat: Westsail 32', 205' Barque

I just did this trip two weekends ago. Motorsailed up the ICW from Rockport to Port O'Connor, and docked up at Sanctuary Marina (Very nice facility, btw). Then we jumped offshore at Port O'Connor to sail overnight up to Galveston and onto Kemah.

I've stayed at Freeport Marina several times, which is also a really nice facility. If you decide to go offshore at Port O - the current in the jetties was insane. I had the sails up and the engine at 2500 and was still only doing 1.5 knot.

Depending on your boat's draft, you may be able to anchor in a few places. Active Captain has those spots pretty well marked.
rb1685 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw, kemah