Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2012, 09:57   #16

Re: I'd like to get your thoughts on some full keel blue water cruisers

Yeah, I'd prefer closer to 50% but 25-30% is the lowest i've looked at...but still I passed her.
Miu Miu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 10:01   #17

Well, you list a tall order but you don't list a budget, so, assuming there is no budget, You are looking for a boat that can carry 5? a lot can carry that for a daysail, but cruising, I woud think way over 35', and with large tankage? The first boat that comes to mind is an older CSY 44' They are around and can be had for fairly reasonable sums, but obviously money will have to be put in for refitting. They carry 500 gallons of water and 100 gallons of fuel They were first built by Jack VanOst for the Bahama and the Virgin Island charter. The CSY stands for Carribean Sailing Yachts, and it was located in St. Petersburg Fl. The first 44' listed at 67k back in the late 70' early 80's They are built very strong, have a nice underbody and come as a cutter rig, which is nice. no, I don't have one, but wish I did. I have Cape Dory's. Hope this helps, if you can find one, they surely would be deserving of at least a looksee. the only drawback is draft is 6'6"
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 10:07   #18

Duplicate sorry, thought the first one was gone
Old 15-06-2012, 12:56   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
25% ballast would be pretty tender.... wouldnt it?
25% does not seem high.

Our own boat (which I believe qualifies for a full keel as she is a long keel) is ONLY 43% light/empty.. IMHO - too low in such a small boat, esp that our keel is cast iron/shallow.

I (IMHO, personally and biased) like to watch figures like that of Contessa 32 (47%, lead, deep) or else a S&S 43 (47%, lead, deep) as benchmarks.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 14:11   #20

Good advice, I'll stick closer to 50% then for sure.
Old 15-06-2012, 14:33   #21

I concur on the higher ballast/displacement ratio. I know most classic designers, like Carl Alberg, who designed Cape Dory's, always had the figure of 40% ballast/displacement ratio as pretty much a minimum. Of course there are other factors that can help or hurt a boat's tendency to be tender or stiff in the heeling dept.
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 16:53   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miu Miu View Post
Thanks again Mike! I haven't seen that page before, I'll be using it from here on :-) did you see the link from JJ77- what do you think of the fins there?
I am starting to look at some modified full keel as well, but I'm leary of fins....I'll take a look At the Valiant 40. I think that for me though the full keel gives me a feeling of more security. I like the stability and low turtle possibility, also I'm nervous that if when sailing a fin keel a random log floating in the water will come along and roll down the hull, damage the fin and knock my prop off....I just think I'm personally better off with all of those things protected in a nice heavy full keel. If anyone has any good information to sway me the other way please share it, I have limited knowledge and am trying stay as safe as possible.
I have to admit that none of the true fin keels on that page do it for me Miu Miu, but I'm sure many would disagree with me (and for valid reasons). But there are some great modified fin/skeg designs listed there that I have considered at one time or another. The Corbin 39, the Pacific Seacrafts and the Valiants are all great boats. I seriously considered a Tartan 37, a Pearson 368 and the Contessa 32. I even looked at a C&C Landfall 38 (not my cup of tea in the end). I would have looked hard at a Passport 40 or a Southern Cross 39 if they had been available, and in my price range.

There have been some excellent suggestions. High ballast to displacement ratio makes me feel comfortable as well. A long, encapsulated keel gives great protection from grounding and flotsam that could damage your rudder or prop. A fuller keel helps protect against the cantilever damage that can result from a hard hit. And of course a long keel allows the boat to track well and settle on the hard. The flip side (for me) is that entering a strange marina strikes fear in my tender heart.

You've got a love, and an eye, for the traditional wineglass full-keel boats. The Babas, Albergs, Tayanas, Hans Christians and Hardins make my heart go pitter-patter. First thing, above all, is you gotta love your boat. If that's what turns your crank, then go find one. They are out there.

Tags
keel, water