Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 08:45   #1

Ideas for a Gutted Buccaneer

Hey guys!

Well, after a long wait I finally got my first boat. For $500 with a trailer and all the rigging, sails, components, etc. The catch was that it was gutted on the inside and that its a 40 year old bathtub as some sailing forums have called it. But I've also had people tell me its a decent boat if your just starting out and you arn't looking at being the fastest boat on the bay.

So I'm not looking for criticisms. I know a lot of people dont like this line, or think its a terrible boat, but they are still around and still being sailed so they obviously work to some degree, and it was cheap which at my current college state of life is the biggest hangup.

The thing floats and sails, he just gutted the interior before he decided to sell it. What would be some optimal things I should be looking to build or imput into the cabin. Its a 1977, 27' with an inboard diesel engine that dosn't work, should I rip it out or would someone in your general boat or truck garage know how to get it running again? Have you ever tripped out your own interior? What works and what doesn't? Most comfortable kinds of berths? Is keeping the alcohol stove worth it? I only plan on Island hopping around Tampa bay or the keys for now, as context, I'm not in a position to do water sailing">blue water sailing yet haha.

Love to hear your thoughts, ideas and suggestions
Manson_Brigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:23   #2

Re: Ideas for a Gutted Buccaneer

Hi, if it's the 270,275,285 model (all the same basic hull), due to it's long shallow keel and lots of windage above the water , it's not much of a sailor. But hey, boats are to have fun in! Sail downwind, motor sail upwind! If it's a model 272, fin keel spade rudder, probably a good sailing boat. (doug peterson?)
It would be a plus to get that diesel running if possible for sure. You are going to need to motor some in that boat, and with the high freeboard, not easy to use an outboard for that.
The boats had a alot of marine carpet style coverings and that is an easy cheap way to get it useable again.... or maybe that part is still in there. Just make it useable for you in a simple manner. As you know they are pretty much giveaway boats so dont put too much $ into it... just enjoy it!
Some of the sailors Bayliner made were from great molds/designs from other failed companies. Most of these were racing desgins unlike the "floating condo" types they also made. Bayliner gets bad rap generally, but I have a 24 ft powerboat made in the 80's...just to goof around in.... I cored a hole in the dashboard to install something, guess what, the dahboard is 1/4" glass over 5/8 plywood. Hmm.... pretty stout.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:00   #3
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Sounds like a great boat to learn on (make all your mistakes on), both in terms of learning to sail and learning to maintain a sailboat. Diagnosing the diesel should be your first project. If the diesel is not salvageable, and the free board is too high to operate and outboard, then you may want cut your loses and find another free boat that you can mount an outboard on. At least you will have learned a thing or two about diesels. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Hi, if it's the 270,275,285 model (all the same basic hull), due to it's long shallow keel and lots of windage above the water , it's not much of a sailor. But hey, boats are to have fun in! Sail downwind, motor sail upwind! If it's a model 272, fin keel spade rudder, probably a good sailing boat. (doug peterson?)
It is a 270, deffinately has a lot of windage area to make it difficult, I am concerned with a massive leeward lean

the interior is such a mess, everything is ripped out and the wood is all rotted. I plan on yanking the toilet, and i have NO idea how to fix the motor though i would LOVE to fix it. Any ideas where i could go to have it looked at?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:04   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

For the first project, remove any rotted major bulkheads (the ones that support the mast from beneath and the ones that hold the chainplates in place) and replace them. Use the old bulkheads for patterns to cut new marine grade plywood. Get a copy of "This Old Boat" for instructions on how to do this. You might find it in your public library or in your university library.
Do not try to start the diesel until you know that there is clean fuel going to it and that the oil is clean. Make certain there is no air blockage and that the exhaust is free of blockage. There needs to be water circulation so there must be water going into the intake but not before it fires because you don't want to flood the engine with water. If you can spin the engine then you might be able to get it going. If it won't spin then you need to take it apart to find out why. What make and model is the engine?
Good luck.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:38   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Can you be a bit more specific about the engine that "doesn't work"? Does it turn over? Is the starter good? There is a finite list of things that could be wrong, but you need a diagnosis flow to figure out what the issue is. It might be as simple as a bad starter. John's cautions are good ones to follow as you start to poke around in it.

Diesels are pretty simple animals, and it's always good to know how to fix your own engine. Calder has a couple of good books on engine repair and maintenance. You might want to take a shot at troubleshooting it yourself, with a bit of guidance from a local marine mechanic.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Can you be a bit more specific about the engine that "doesn't work"? Does it turn over? Is the starter good? There is a finite list of things that could be wrong, but you need a diagnosis flow to figure out what the issue is. It might be as simple as a bad starter. John's cautions are good ones to follow as you start to poke around in it..
I have no idea. Right now its covered in grime and rust. Like, it still looks salvageable, but I grew up riding horses not fixing motors, I'm useless when it comes to any kind of engine. I know the basics of how and why it causes things to move forward, (based of a 6th grade science class) and thats about it haha.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:58   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

The 285 was a Peterson design used by US Yachts, Pacer, Bayliner and Pearson over the years. It one the Half Ton worlds in 1975, was built as the Pacer 30 and then built as the Buccaneer 285 after that. Totally different boat than the 270.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:29   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Don't spend too much on the boat, get her basics up and running like major bulkheads, compression post, chain plates. Go play, make your mistakes and have your follies. Then move up or over to a better boat.

I'm wondering, since the interior was gutted, is if she had salt water ingress. Are the bulkheads near the engine rotted too? Finding out if she had saltwater in her engine would help you decide if the engine is worth investing in.

My good friend lived aboard his buccaneer, I used to rib him about the tiny mast . He loved the boat, it was a perfect boat to learn on, bang around the lake and up the bayous. It had a great spacious interior for its size. After a couple years he then moved up to a Catalina.

Anyways, welcome aboard, congrats on your new boat
Old 03-10-2013, 09:14   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChairBay View Post
Hey guys!

Well, after a long wait I finally got my first boat. For $500 with a trailer and all the rigging, sails, components, etc. The catch was that it was gutted on the inside and that its a 40 year old bathtub as some sailing forums have called it. But I've also had people tell me its a decent boat if your just starting out and you arn't looking at being the fastest boat on the bay.

So I'm not looking for criticisms. I know a lot of people dont like this line, or think its a terrible boat, but they are still around and still being sailed so they obviously work to some degree, and it was cheap which at my current college state of life is the biggest hangup.

The thing floats and sails, he just gutted the interior before he decided to sell it. What would be some optimal things I should be looking to build or imput into the cabin. Its a 1977, 27' with an inboard diesel engine that dosn't work, should I rip it out or would someone in your general boat or truck garage know how to get it running again? Have you ever tripped out your own interior? What works and what doesn't? Most comfortable kinds of berths? Is keeping the alcohol stove worth it? I only plan on Island hopping around Tampa bay or the keys for now, as context, I'm not in a position to do blue water sailing yet haha.

Love to hear your thoughts, ideas and suggestions
you might get a few ideas from the thread about my last project!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rew-59975.html
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20   #11

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

Get it safe to sail, and get out on the water, and fix the comforts as you go. Eventually you may want something different but until then you will be on the water, and by then you will know just what you want.

I loved my Bucaneer 24. The moldy textured vinyl wouldn't come clean. I painted it. The "floating pleasure palace" decorations were removed or rebuilt to a more useful purpose. I trashed the carpeting. I painted the inside of all compartments bright white. I added a lot of backing plates. I made good mosquito net closings for the hatches to keep out our Florida bugs. I added a Perko kerosene/citronella oil lamp in the salon for the same purpose, and because I lacked a generator. I used a Perco kerosene anchor light that NEVER blew out.

A British Seagull 5.5 hp Silver Century Plus outboard pushed it well enough (and my Hunter 27).

The Shallow draft was a big plus.

Better to be sailing your Buccaneer than to be sitting ashore, dreaming about a perfect, bigger boat.

I always said imy Buc was great running, good reaching, poor pointing, and fantastic on the hook.

Enjoy it!
Bestathook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:41   #12

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

I also removed the alcohol stove. I built in a box that takes a coleman stove, and I brazed a rail and fiddles for it. It is removable to cook outside in the Florida heat, or inside, It burns liquid coleman fuel, or propane, with an adapter. Both tanks are removeable to be stored safely.

I also built in a few "hidey holes" to keep cash or documents when the boat's security is questionable.

I built a table with the support asymmetrically located so that it could serve for multiple functions, or be pivoted out of the way.

I like to have several automotive style, stainless lighter sockets for devices with that type of plug.

I added a 120 volt system for use at the dock.

I added a few fancy whippings and turk's heads for decoration.

I added a rail on the big flat counter to keep the bottles and jars where they belong.

I put a box with pegs that fit the holes in the table to contain condiments.

Look at other boats. Almost all of them have interesting modifications, some of which might fir your boat.
Bestathook is offline   Reply With Quote