Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2022, 11:49   #1

Boat: 1984 Ericson 30+
Identifying an engine

Hi all, new owner of a 1984 Ericson 30+

I'm looking to order a few parts and want to make sure I get the right ones. I believe it should be a Universal M18 but again want to make sure.

I understand there may be a plate under the injection pump? or where? and is it like decoding the VIN number on a car, do I need cross reference anything to figure out what engine I have, thanks !
JayBee74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 11:56   #2

Re: Identifying an engine

Congratulations on the new boat. It really shouldn’t be too had to find the engine. They are usually down below (often under the companionway, but sometimes under the salon table)

Once you find it, take a snapshot of the manufacturers label plate. It will be attached on the outside of the engine.

If you can reply with that information, your questions will be easier to answer.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 12:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

I've got a Universal M40. My label is right on top of the air intake manifold ...but... the label plate is completely worn, so no help at all. Hopefully, yours is readable.
I relied on documentation and manuals that came with the boat for the initial identification of make and model.

Congratulations!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220814_102158.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	263388  
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 12:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
I've got a Universal M40. My label is right on top of the air intake manifold ...but... the label plate is completely worn, so no help at all. Hopefully, yours is readable.
I relied on documentation and manuals that came with the boat for the initial identification of make and model.

Congratulations!
That's where I'm at, I've had the doghouse off and looked around in there but didn't specifically look for an ID plate at that time but also didn't notice one either if that makes any sense.
Old 24-08-2022, 13:35   #5

Boat: Columbia 36

Some, but not all, of the Universals retained the original Kubota dipstick, and they usually had the engine model number stamped on them. The M18 was I believe the Kubota Z600. M15 was the Z500. Another method is to see if there's a part number stamped on the exhaust manifold. You can look up the parts diagram for that engine and see if it matches.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 15:45   #6

Thanks all, I'm usually browsing during and coming up with game plans while on the road for work. My fiance took a picture that I think pretty much confirms that it is a M18

Anyhow, since these are no longer made where can I source parts from? I thought I also read something about there being more than one version of the M18? I've also read Kubota parts will work? Which model Kubota would I search for?

I've not officially diagnosed it yet but upon starting up we had light blue maybe white smoke for a bit. We took it off the dock and down the channel and it was making black smoke (not a lot like a tractor pull but definitely noticeable) and it didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way(though the prop probably accounts for some of that needs a cleaning like all "good deals"). There is definitely a lot of blow by and oil coming out of the breather tube. Needs a real good application of glow plugs to start despite 90 degree Florida weather.

So long story short, lacking a formal diagnosis my gut is telling me worn piston rings and or injection pump/nozzle/governor issues. I'm a retired ASE master tech and licensed FAA A&P mechanic for whatever that's worth... however I've still got a lot to learn about boats so I'm hoping to learn from ya'll experience here.

Thanks for any help !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220824_181627.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	263440   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220824_181700.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	458.4 KB
ID:	263441  

Name:	20220824_181614.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	263442  
Old 26-08-2022, 01:17   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

The Kubuto I had in my last boat always needed a touch of glow plug to start even when new. I'd give it a hard run for an hour or two to see if the smoke and oil situation improves it might have been run excessively just for battery charging and that tends to produce the symptoms you describe.
Old 26-08-2022, 09:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
The Kubuto I had in my last boat always needed a touch of glow plug to start even when new. I'd give it a hard run for an hour or two to see if the smoke and oil situation improves it might have been run excessively just for battery charging and that tends to produce the symptoms you describe.
That's good to know RE glow plugs, thank you.

Yeah, I got a "good deal" buying a boat that had sat unused. The previous owner had a video of him running the engine so we took a chance on her. New batteries and a key switch and it came to life. New water pump">raw water pump and fuel shut off cable and we were able to take it out for the first time the other day.

There's a decent amount of growth on the hull that you can see at the waterline. We were on our way out of the canal to the river where I was going to do some scraping myself. It took us so long to get out there we had to turn around and come back. I did a little test scraping with a plastic putty knife and the growth came of fairly easily. So we're hoping that the prop is fouled and that is why it wouldn't get out of it's own way. I know sailboats aren't known for being able to back up well but it wouldn't back up at all, just go in circles.

So, we are hauling out at the marina to do a bottom clean in a few weeks. I will start with new fuel filters, oil change, valve adjustment and checking the fuel pump timing.

Hopefully after that we can take it out and run it as suggested

Tags
engine