Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2020, 21:27   #1

Boat: alberg 37
I'm in US boats in BC

Hi everyone, My Alburg is on Vancouver Island and I'm in US. Is there anyone that knows how to get into Canada and get a boat out? It's on a good mooring with great friends near by but I don't want to loose her. thanks
peter58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 23:47   #2

Re: I'm in US boats in BC

You should be able to hire a commercial captain to bring it over.
As business travel is allowed.

You won’t be able to get it yourself.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 23:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter58 View Post
Hi everyone, My Alburg is on Vancouver Island and I'm in US. Is there anyone that knows how to get into Canada and get a boat out? It's on a good mooring with great friends near by but I don't want to loose her. thanks
What makes you think you'll lose the boat?
If the mooring is secure then get your friends to check on it and leave a laminated note explaining the situation in the window so nobody takes it.

There must be dozens of sailors that can bring it south for you. Don't worry
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 00:32   #4

Unfortunately not.
Even if I could cross the border into the US.
Crossing the border requires me to self isolate for 14 days on return. Even point Roberts.

You could try presenting a plan to Canada and US Border Services see if they will allow it.
Possibly having the boat moved by a Canadian friend to a location which can easily be accessed from US.
If the Sydney Anacortes Ferry is running getting to Sydney might be possible

Other suggestion if you have a friend with a boat in the US a plan to have a Canadian friend check your boat is ready to go.
Come up on a friends American boat without stopping anywhere other than to check in by phone.
Collect boat from mooring return to US without making any contact with anyone in Canada.
Might be acceptable.

Worth asking worst they can do is they say no or the us insist on self isolation after.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:00   #5

U can fly in to Canada, I am in the reverse situation my boat was bought in the San Juans and love it there, so left it there, and I cant drive across, but can fly to Seattle and rent a car, expensive, so I wait, with friends helping the boat survive!!

U will need a departure # from Canada Border Services to re enter the US, could be tricky but don't STOP on the way, $10K fine.
peterincalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:07   #6

Hire a company to bring it across. Adam from Cold Water Divers has brought quite a few across in the last few months.
TheSeawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:10   #7

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
You should be able to hire a commercial captain to bring it over.
As business travel is allowed.

You won’t be able to get it yourself.

desodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:27   #8

Hmu if you want me to go get it for you.
captjamied@gmail.com
captjamied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:28   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterincalgary View Post
U can fly in to Canada, I am in the reverse situation my boat was bought in the San Juans and love it there, so left it there, and I cant drive across, but can fly to Seattle and rent a car, expensive, so I wait, with friends helping the boat survive!!

U will need a departure # from Canada Border Services to re enter the US, could be tricky but don't STOP on the way, $10K fine.
This is incorrect!

If not Canadian citizen/permanent resident (or qualified close relative) or "essential worker", you CANNOT drive/fly INTO Canada.

BUT, as already stated, you can hire a delivery company to bring boat down.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:45   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
This is incorrect!

If not Canadian citizen/permanent resident (or qualified close relative) or "essential worker", you CANNOT drive/fly INTO Canada.

BUT, as already stated, you can hire a delivery company to bring boat down.
Pelagia is correct. Canadians can fly to the USA for non-essential travel, but Americans cannot fly to Canada. Makes no sense, and no one has explained why this is the case, but it is the way it is.

Hiring a commercial captain seems to be the most obvious solution. Another loophole/option is to find a captain with dual citizenship. Our countries are not banning citizens or permanent residents from entering, although upon return to Canada the person will still have to quarantine for 14 days.
Old 29-12-2020, 10:38   #11

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterincalgary View Post

My understanding is that Canadians can fly into the US (US rules) but I don't think Americans can fly into Canada (Canadian rules).

Each country makes its own rules about who may enter and who may not - and there is nothing that says they have to be consistent.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 11:06   #12

Boat: Coast 30

This problem has been cropping up with regularity through out 2020. So for a touch of humour I propose the three boat solution.

On a fine day with 10 knots of southern wind.
USA owner sets off with his crew on an American vessel to predetermined
GPS co-ordinates. 'Hove to' At half a mile south of the USA border. Preferably within close proximity to a border marker.

Canadian crew sails the ketch with a Canadian vessel in company to half a mile north of the USA border. Sets one fore sail & lash the wheel. Then abandons ship onto the vessel in company; returning back north having never crossed the border, no need to quarantine.

The American crew standing by; salvages the 'Abandoned' ketch at sea after is has sailed over the line with no one on board.

Bon Voyage! LOL.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 11:17   #13

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
This problem has been cropping up with regularity through out 2020. So for a touch of humour I propose the three boat solution.

On a fine day with 10 knots of southern wind.
USA owner sets off with his crew on an American vessel to predetermined
GPS co-ordinates. 'Hove to' At half a mile south of the USA border. Preferably within close proximity to a border marker.

Canadian crew sails the ketch with a Canadian vessel in company to half a mile north of the USA border. Sets one fore sail & lash the wheel. Then abandons ship onto the vessel in company; returning back north having never crossed the border, no need to quarantine.

The American crew standing by; salvages the 'Abandoned' ketch at sea after is has sailed over the line with no one on board.

Bon Voyage! LOL.
Great idea! (Autopilot or a wind vane might be better than lashing the wheel)
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 11:30   #14

Boat: Coast 30

I supposed that detail might not be available. and leaving it ticking over in gear might be illegal. A fore sail will climb up the stay it is hanked to under wind pressure and sail the boat, as in the closing scene of a certain movie. but that would be taking theatrics a bit too far Eh!
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 11:47   #15

OK, I did forget to say I am a Canadian Citizen, its a bemusement in Canada that we can fly into the US but cant drive, US Border Services refuses to say why?

As an aside being a Canadian I cannot stop in Canadian waters as the boat is registered in Washington State, unless I take it there to a shipyard I am informed to go straight in and straight out, if on the boat, so work is done locally in the US.
peterincalgary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat