Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2020, 14:51   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 27
Re: In line Galley seeking advice from the more experienced

looking at my top three is there anything else you would think I should look at.
Will be doing pretty major crossing and seeing as much as I can.
outbound_308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 14:59   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Take pics, and keep notes on which boats they refer to. It's easy to get on information overload. Also take pics of the heads, engine, chain lockers, battery boxes, electric control panels - back sides as well as front -, storage lockers. Record volume of storage areas, including hanging lockers and possible wet lockers. Nice to be able to compare them, so many cu ft (sorry, I'm a Yank) per major area of the boat.

If you have time, check out the thread called, "Marine Survey 101".

Ann
Old 26-02-2020, 08:41   #18

Boat: Moody 42 CC ketch

We've got an inline galley, effectively the passageway from saloon to aft cabin, past our deep centre cockpit. We've just done an atlantic circuit, and I did all the cooking - including bread and cakes, and most meals 'from scratch', for 4 aboard. Its a boat, so there is never "enough" space, or enough storage, but its certainly workable. The sink is an issue in a sea way- the plug gets blown out by the hydraulic pressure from the seacock. Solved by washing up in a huge bucket in the cockpit!
Noisykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 09:01   #19

Boat: Hylas 49

I've got a Hylas 44. The passageway is narrow enough to allow you to cook offshore. Lots of storage and refrigeration. Get used to bumping your head while reaching into the sink. I put a piece of yoga mat there to lessen the pain. (might be more room on the 49).
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 11:43   #20

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound_308 View Post
All good points thanks everybody. Obviously streamline the cooking process nothing to elaborate when it's bad out. I also like the idea of it being its own space, people can move forward in the salon if needed and not get in the way or be unsafe around the person heating something up.

right now my top three are
oyster 53
amel 54
hylas 49

I was looking at some of the aluminum boats but they all have the inline galley in the salon, and most of them would require quite a bit more research on my part. I think my top three will give me plenty to look at Annapolis this year.
That's certainly a nice big three, but I'd swap the Hylas in favor of a Hallberg Rassey since you seem to be in that price range.

Since most of your time will be spent on the hook or at a marina, I'd concentrate more on a galley that resembles a real kitchen as very few people attempt to cook anything fancy while under way.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 13:15   #21

HR definitely another good choice. As with the Oyster not sure about the teak decks though.
Old 27-02-2020, 13:59   #22

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

This is the way we built our galley. There is a place to wedge your butt on either tack and you can brace yourself with your foot against the angled cabin sole under the stove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Galley-13.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	209653  
Old 27-02-2020, 14:43   #23

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
This is the way we built our galley. There is a place to wedge your butt on either tack and you can brace yourself with your foot against the angled cabin sole under the stove.

Neat. That’s really what I should have done with mine.
Old 27-02-2020, 17:19   #24

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
While shopping I have inline galley's in the salon in some Euro boats. I don't think I'm a fan, and would prefer a separate u shaped, or even an inline passage way to the rear state room like a Hylas cc. Am I wrong on this?
We would certainly always go for a non-linear galley. Having the food preparation area away from the general saloon area is a big plus. Also, having the galley sinks close to the centre-line of the boat when underway is so much better. We never close the seacock on the galley sink when underway (the port and starboard heads - always!)

The other thing is having the wrap-around work surface - another plus in our view, but everyone has their own preferences and ideas.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 17:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The other thing is having the wrap-around work surface - another plus in our view, but everyone has their own preferences and ideas.

I've always felt that the Catalina 42 is perfect example to be able to compare the two layouts. They made both. IMO, the linear galley model took too much space away from the saloon compared to the aft port galley, which also had tons more storage space.

Good luck, your boat, your choice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 17:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I kinda liked my in line galley actually. There's this theory about in offshore weather having a U shaped galley is better... but..it's only better heeled one direction anyway! ... and that direction puts you against the stove so... not so sure myself...
One boat I had had a U shaped galley with the opening forward though, instead of athwartships, that was cool.
One of the benefits of an inline galley is that you don't have to be in front of the stove when cooking underway, just stand to one side so less likely to find yourself falling on to it when it's to leeward of you if the boat lurches. That's hard to do in a U-shaped galley as you tend to be forced to stand in front of the stove, at least on smaller boats. I find it a little safer in that respect but it's just an opinion.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 06:12   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
One of the benefits of an inline galley is that you don't have to be in front of the stove when cooking underway, just stand to one side so less likely to find yourself falling on to it when it's to leeward of you if the boat lurches. That's hard to do in a U-shaped galley as you tend to be forced to stand in front of the stove, at least on smaller boats. I find it a little safer in that respect but it's just an opinion.
Yes ... I must never stand behind the cooker

The inline also give greater flat top preparation space and more eye level cupboard storage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9C5A37E9-48B0-42CA-8870-B5DCB159C4C3.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	209667  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 06:36   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Yes ... I must never stand behind the cooker

The inline also give greater flat top preparation space and more eye level cupboard storage
That's actually more of a galley type layout than a true inline.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 07:54   #29

That was kind of my thinking on an inline like a hylas 46-49. you can stand to the side and also have a lot of good work surface. Now if I could just get a Hylas with an amel engine room I would be set.
Old 28-02-2020, 11:11   #30

Quote:
That was kind of my thinking on an inline like a hylas 46-49. you can stand to the side and also have a lot of good work surface. Now if I could just get a Hylas with an amel engine room I would be set.
Yes you are right, the Hylas is not really an inline design as it has areas with cabinets on both sides, it's also a nice narrow hallway which is quite safe offshore. Many centre cockpits are similar in galley designs and they are good designs. The Amel does have nice access to the engine and other systems but Hallberg Rassy and others also have excellent access to engine and components but from an inside access..cant really say which one I like better.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, galley