Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2021, 09:50   #76

Boat: Hinterhoeller, Nonsuch, 30
Send a message via AIM to no1engravr Send a message via Yahoo to no1engravr
Re: In production 27 ft sailboats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi22 View Post
I've been searching for a 27ft sailboat. I live on East Coast. It has to be brand new and something that I can sail by myself. I've looked at Catalina 275 Sport, and Beneteau First 27. Both could do the job, but how do they work in real life? Looking their ads and websites, they all are the 'best.'
A full keel could be nice, but in the brand new market, it doesn't exist anymore. I think a well engineered fin or bulb keel will do a great job, but which ones are the ones? Some proven design that's still produced today; which one is that?
Of course I cannot be sure why you require a new boat and why it has to be 27 feet. Do yourself a favor and "you Tube" Nonsuch 30. Probably the roomiest, safest and easy to sail alone sailboat out there.. They are now older but extremely well built. The prices are great. Some may need to be enhanced but figure it in your total budget. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Whatever direction you take, best of luck. But at least research the Nonsuch 30. Cheers
no1engravr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:50   #77
LF4

Quote:
j80 is too much of a racer for me.
I am doing the same search as you are doing. You seem to be spanning the same boat size range as I am so I think this could be helpful if you have no already done the leg work to get the pricing of each boats base price. Some of these are boats without sails or an engine.

J/70 starts at $49,900
J/80 starts at $59,900
J/88 starts at $148,900

Catalina 275 Sport starts at $69,446
Catalina 22 Capria starts at $27,684
Catalina 22 Sport starts at $27,668
Catalina 315 starts at $153,775

Precision 23 starts at $39,240
Precision 21 starts at $31,890

I have a family and, much like you, would prefer to buy a new boat. I get it, I really do. We may end up doing a new boat. We will see.

However, we have expanded to looking at used boats and even going to a 2006 Hunter 31 or 2007 Hunter 33 with we could get for $40-$50k.

EDIT: Boatman61 - I wish I could get my hands on a Cornish Crabbers. Those boats personify everything I love when it comes to style!
Old 01-02-2021, 11:22   #78
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I completely forgot about trimarans...Several options in the 27ft range. They will blow away monos of similar size for performance and many have folding amas so you can get into normal slips for storage. If it's just an occasional weekend, the cabins will work fine.
I know that Corsair 880. I think Corsair 37 has aready sailed around the globe with no issues. The thing I love about them is some of the simplicity they provide, like the outboard engine, the tiller rudder, but I wonder what complexities their sails have, and the maintenance issues of the three hulls, what happens to those fragile looking arms holding the hulls together during bad weather? I love them, I love First 27s as well, but not for me. But yes, Corsair trimarans rock!
Lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:44   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1engravr View Post
Of course I cannot be sure why you require a new boat
Not anymore. A little research opened my eyes.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:15   #80
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LF4 View Post
J/70 starts at $49,900
J/80 starts at $59,900
J/88 starts at $148,900
Catalina 275 Sport starts at $69,446
Catalina 22 Capria starts at $27,684
Catalina 22 Sport starts at $27,668
Catalina 315 starts at $153,775
Precision 23 starts at $39,240
Precision 21 starts at $31,890
Your decision is easy, you have to consider used sailboats. Children grow up and start to question their parents' parenting skills. Don't find yourself pointing at your sailboat when they're old enough to wonder what happened to their college funds...!?
Just a silly joke. Back to the boats...
The prices up there are very basic. A Catalina 315 will sailaway for over 205k and a Catalina 22 will easily pass the 40k barrier.
A used fin keel Catalina 25 - not the Capri - in good condition will cost you no more than 10k, and 5k of fixing later, you're on your way - a simple but capable boat. That's where I'm possibly heading to after my research.
If you have to buy a brand new sailboat, then I think you have possibly only one option, a Compac 27/3. The starting price with the sails is $124k, and the options add up, but it's been said to be much more economical to buy and maintain than a Catalina 315. More stable and easy to sail too. I was also told that it's less worrisome and less intimidating for the newbie folks on board, as it's a slower and well behaved sailboat. All hearsay info, but I've not heard anything against these listed sailing behaviours yet.
https://www.com-pacyachts.com/compac...mpac-27-3.html

The ultimate question is, for 124k and +... is it worth it?
I've found many Hunter 27s, Catalina 30s, and such for the very little fraction of that price tag, and some looked brand new. A private head, shower, and etc...
I think the very first sailboat has to be used and as cheap as possible. There are many very clean, and almost brand new looking used sailboats with sailaway price tags of ~30k out there.
Old 01-02-2021, 14:14   #81

Boat: Corsair 24, Creekmore 40

After sailing on monohulls for 43 years, I'd vote for a Corsair 880.

I recently got an F24 and I love it. Fast when you want it to be, stable when you're taking it easy. Light and trailerable is a big bonus.

The ability to sail 4 knots in 5 knots of wind is great too!
Old 01-02-2021, 14:24   #82
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
After sailing on monohulls for 43 years, I'd vote for a Corsair 880.

I recently got an F24 and I love it. Fast when you want it to be, stable when you're taking it easy. Light and trailerable is a big bonus.

The ability to sail 4 knots in 5 knots of wind is great too!
What do you think about the sails and other things. I feel like it's too sporty, which would require tons of maintenance, hightech sails and rigs needing tuning often?
Old 01-02-2021, 14:32   #83

Quote:
I know that Corsair 880. I think Corsair 37 has aready sailed around the globe with no issues. The thing I love about them is some of the simplicity they provide, like the outboard engine, the tiller rudder, but I wonder what complexities their sails have, and the maintenance issues of the three hulls, what happens to those fragile looking arms holding the hulls together during bad weather? I love them, I love First 27s as well, but not for me. But yes, Corsair trimarans rock!
I thought you were looking for a weekend boat? When did we move to round the world?

What complexities do you expect from the sails and 3 hulls? The hinge mechanisms are pretty simple and robust. Nothing exotic. I've not heard of any breaking up in a storm.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 14:34   #84

Quote:
What do you think about the sails and other things. I feel like it's too sporty, which would require tons of maintenance, hightech sails and rigs needing tuning often?
If you are racing, sure but that goes for a racing monohull.

If you just want to mess about on the water and still blow the doors off of monohulls, you don't need high tech sails or obsessive tuning.
Old 01-02-2021, 14:37   #85
cruiser

Quote:
I thought you were looking for a weekend boat? When did we move to round the world?

What complexities do you expect from the sails and 3 hulls? The hinge mechanisms are pretty simple and robust. Nothing exotic. I've not heard of any breaking up in a storm.
LOL!
Nope, still hoping to become a day sailor in one piece.
Corsair has bunch of day sailors too. I've been hearing only good things about them. Still, those hinges should be under tons of stress in bad weather...
Anyhow, just learning about them, no serious interest what so ever.
Old 01-02-2021, 15:10   #86

Quote:
Still, those hinges should be under tons of stress in bad weather...
The rigging on a monohull is often under tons of stress...folding tris aren't a new idea they've been around a long time. If they were failing left and right, where are the examples?
Old 01-02-2021, 16:05   #87
cruiser

Quote:
The rigging on a monohull is often under tons of stress...folding tris aren't a new idea they've been around a long time. If they were failing left and right, where are the examples?
Failing? No examples that I know of.
I've actually sailed a weta marine, a trimaran dinghy. Well, helped a friend sail his actually. It was fast, and it capsized. Not really capsizing, it kinda rolled over to the front; I think they call it pitchpoling. We pretty much penetrated into a wave like an arrow and the boat rolled over, pitchpoled. But it was a dinghy and such things are considered normal sailing one.
While I thought we would have to wait to be rescued, he opened the caps on one of the outrigger hulls and let the water fill it up. Eventually, the outtrigger hull was filled with water and sank, so that the boat could be righted.
Such scenerio on a big Corsair wouldn't end with a happy ending, I assume. Still, they are fast, seemed to gather the advantages of both monohulls and catamarans.
I cannot help but wonder how much maintenance has to be made on those hinges.
Anyway, in bad weather, would you rather be on a trimaran or a full keel old school monohull - not making a point, I really wonder your opinion.
Old 01-02-2021, 16:16   #88
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

East coast sailor, Forget all the full keel and heavy boat nonsense here. Plus a Racer cruiser, if you are not racing it, you will not need to replace sails every year, another nonsense point. (apologies to the other sailors here, but I race and cruise so understand the cost and wear and tear on sails).
My question is, why stuck at 27 ft. 30 ft is more common and gives you what you want.
Catalina's are solid and they are well built. the new J/9 is interesting, mast is too far forward giving a big main and a little jib, which I don't like, personal pref. J boats are WAY overpriced for what you get. The J/80 and J70 are too small for what you want. Forget a multi hull in LIS or the east coast.
Catalina 275 is a good solid choice, many happy long term owner's phrf at 189, not too slow vs other catalina's.
Beneteau First is not too much to handle good boat for a day sail and a family. The boat would be fine.
otherwise you're in offbeat brands at that size.
Going from 27 to 30 is a good compromise, more choices and would handle the same. plus don't discount some of the other European builders.
Elan E3 may be right for you. Nice boat and there is a dealer in Mystic.
Pogo 30 is simple & easy to handle. I have started to see a few of them in LIS over the past few years.
If I were going to buy a new boat. It would be an Italia Yachts, although their smallest boat is the 9.98 (34ft). The design is very modern, but the build quality is great.

Check out the Elan's They are very popular in the Med, and starting to pick up steam in the US.

Good luck in your search

Fair Winds
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 16:27   #89

Boat: Corsair 24, Creekmore 40

Plenty of Corsairs have white sails and never use a spinnaker. They can still do 10 knots with no drama.

The rotating rig requires almost no tuning. much simpler than most monohulls. I can raise and lower my mast by my self.
Because it's so light, an outboard is all you need which makes maintenance easier. The 880 is under 4000 lbs. Draws about a 18" with all the boards up.

I don't think a trimaran is any more maintenance. Finding a slip can be a challenge as you probably don't want to leave it in the water folded all the time. But with the shallow draft, I was able to get a great spot in a marina that would have been too shallow for a monohull.

I'd suggest watching some Corsair videos.

Quote:
Old 01-02-2021, 18:46   #90

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

I don't know about particular models, but fin keel with skeg hung rudder gives some protection to the rudder and propeller.
The skeg gives a similar feel to a longer keel, so the boat tracks better than a fin keel/spade rudder boat.

Many cruisers like fin keel skeg hung rudder configuration. Faster than a full keel, steers more like a full keel.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat