Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2022, 18:52   #46

Boat: 1983 34' Irwin Citation
Re: IN SEARCH OF AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
My personal preference is for a boat that will safely and as comfortably as possible handle the most severe conditions anticipated.

[/INDENT]Alternatively, it would be simpler, cheaper and easier to not worry about the future and get something to cruise the Caribbean and IF you decide to cross oceans after a few years you can decide to upgrade your existing boat or move up to your next boat. Trust me, you will save a lot of money this way because your learning curve will be steep with your first boat.

I would guess that ALL of us who have owned multiple boats over the years and have used them extensively were not able to stay with our first boat no matter how much we loved it. We owned multiple boats as we learned more about boats, cruising, our situation changed and increased awareness of our needs and preferences.
This is the approach I am taking.
patagoniadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 19:00   #47

Boat: Looking to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagoniadave View Post
This is the approach I am taking.
I agree that this makes sense, since nothing is certain in life I can always go with my first choices for sailing the caribbean and then sell and upgrade for another sailboat if passage travels arise. I do tend to go more for the Beneteau, since I have seen others that have completed successful passage through the same pacific transit I envision.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 02:56   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: IN SEARCH OF AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
I just saw Boatman's post. I must say he has a better idea about which boat to get than me. He has so much more experience. I once sat down, started drinking and read through 8-10 pages of his posts. Boatman has the experience you are looking for. If I was you Drek I would start private messaging Boatman on your ideas. Or you could do what I did and start reading his posts and threads through the cruiser forums. Its a wealth of information.

Best of luck!

Sam
Thanks Sam..
Drek... Usual cautions apply, history, location (hurricane damage repair.???), good survey etc..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 03:56   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you would prefer to stick at around 33ft may I suggest you take a look at the Beneteau Oceanis 331.
I owned one for nearly 3yrs, bought it from Mooring BVI's and sailed around the Caribe a bit, did some upgrading in St Martin, a solar/wind gen/davit frame in stainless, dinghy, outboard, panels and wind gen for around $10k on top of the $60k for the boat.
Sailed her to the Azores then Portugal, the following year across to Madeira, up to the Azores then back to the Algarve.
The following year up to the UK where she was sold.
You could fit a small watermaker in her fairly easily.
My version had the large aft cabin with huge bunk my 6ft 2" frame could lay fore and aft or across the beam.
https://www.boats.com/reviews/benete...sing-sailboat/

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
Old 11-04-2022, 04:02   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thanks Sam..
Drek... Usual cautions apply, history, location (hurricane damage repair.???), good survey etc..

Thank you for your input. It seems a used purchase seems more and more the path that seems the wisest, so I will most certainly look in to the verifications you suggest.
Old 11-04-2022, 04:17   #51

Quote:
If you would prefer to stick at around 33ft may I suggest you take a look at the Beneteau Oceanis 331.
I owned one for nearly 3yrs, bought it from Mooring BVI's and sailed around the Caribe a bit, did some upgrading in St Martin, a solar/wind gen/davit frame in stainless, dinghy, outboard, panels and wind gen for around $10k on top of the $60k for the boat.
Sailed her to the Azores then Portugal, the following year across to Madeira, up to the Azores then back to the Algarve.
The following year up to the UK where she was sold.
You could fit a small watermaker in her fairly easily.
My version had the large aft cabin with huge bunk my 6ft 2" frame could lay fore and aft or across the beam.
https://www.boats.com/reviews/benete...sing-sailboat/

Well thank you very much for that suggestion, I will look that up also, I already have the Beneteau 361 on my possible candidates list. Well I'm searching in the 30 to 39' size, seems like a good choice for a first boat and higher chance of enjoying the experience. The Azores would be a nice place to sail to, Portugal and Spain also, but north of this would not be my cup of tea. I've seen havoc in the north atlantic on a 400' destroyer, I wouldn't want to be on a 33' in a storm during winter in that northern part of the atlantic ocean, the only thing worse than this would be Cape Horn, I shiver just at the thought, even in summer it can snow there I read.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:04   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek4 View Post
I've seen havoc in the north atlantic on a 400' destroyer, I wouldn't want to be on a 33' in a storm during winter in that northern part of the atlantic ocean, the only thing worse than this would be Cape Horn, I shiver just at the thought, even in summer it can snow there I read.
LOL.. Know what you mean.. one of the boats I served on did a stint up that way on patrol during the Cod Wars.. a RAS in a F7-8 was an interesting experience, I was up at the bow handling the distance line.

Old 11-04-2022, 05:12   #53

Quote:
LOL.. Know what you mean.. one of the boats I served on did a stint up that way on patrol during the Cod Wars.. a RAS in a F7-8 was an interesting experience, I was up at the bow handling the distance line.

I see you are or was on a frigate, I was on the Algonquin 283 class destroyer for some years, almost the same length and tonnage as yours.

Nothing can replace the feeling you get when you first approach land.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:53   #54

Boat: Freedom 32

To the OP
Excuse me but I’m confused.
1. Are you experienced on cruising length boats?
2. Where will you be sailing for the first few years?
3. Do you have a sailing goal after three years of learning?

As I read your “awesome” it seems to dart around the world with different sailing places, circumstances, conditions and levels of experience.
It sounds like the place we all begin called the “dream”. Nothing wrong with that! I suggest putting boundaries on the dream when it comes to spending vast sums of money. From what I read I see a need potentially for three boats overtime.

May I suggest before spending a dime on a boat, Head to the BVI for two weeks of initiation CHARTERING. Find a broker that can set you up with the type of boat you’re looking to buy. And don’t forget the wife! Spend your time sailing and learning the boat No fancy yacht clubs, try to stay on the hook most nights. Provision the boat as you would your kitchen at home with things you would like and can eat without cooking a lot. If you are just getting started consider taking the 3 or 4 basic ASA courses. That will send you home with the basics for you to build on and to determine your sailing future.

Be sure to keep us updated and good luck
Old 12-04-2022, 09:20   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastsailor View Post
To the OP
Excuse me but I’m confused.
1. Are you experienced on cruising length boats?
2. Where will you be sailing for the first few years?
3. Do you have a sailing goal after three years of learning?

As I read your “awesome” it seems to dart around the world with different sailing places, circumstances, conditions and levels of experience.
It sounds like the place we all begin called the “dream”. Nothing wrong with that! I suggest putting boundaries on the dream when it comes to spending vast sums of money. From what I read I see a need potentially for three boats overtime.

May I suggest before spending a dime on a boat, Head to the BVI for two weeks of initiation CHARTERING. Find a broker that can set you up with the type of boat you’re looking to buy. And don’t forget the wife! Spend your time sailing and learning the boat No fancy yacht clubs, try to stay on the hook most nights. Provision the boat as you would your kitchen at home with things you would like and can eat without cooking a lot. If you just getting started consider taking the 3 or 4 basic ASA courses.

Be sure to keep us updated and good luck

Thank you for your reply.

My apologies for citing several locations, it was more to accentuate the areas that if had the time and chance would travel to.
I do not have any sailboat for now, have limited experience of sailboats, mostly day sailers and on one occasion a vintage Ericson 25’ from the mid 70s.
I know that I want in theory and from the experience I have now, I will most certainly charter the sailboat, once I have reached a decision what seems to be the best boat.
I will only spend my money once I have no doubts left in my mind, but I most certainly want to know the extent of the budget required to adequately prepare for once that day is upon me.
I already know, thanks to the great help of all the generous replies in this forum, that my expectations of a reasonable sail away budget, where greatly underestimated and the equipement that would be required.
I will most likely be sailing the caribbean for the first year maybe two, then our plan was to do the west coast of central america (panama, costa-rica, nicaragua) then do a passage through Oceania, then towards SE Asia and dock in the Thailand Gulf.
Of course this is the original plan, my wife would like to see the Med a lot and I have a weak spot for Spain, so it might change a little before going through the canal. We do not plan of leaving the caribbean, before we both feel comfortable that this "dream life" remains a reality we want to be part of long term.
Old 18-04-2022, 08:12   #56

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

There were two separate articles in the Local sailing rag, both interviewing folks who were non sailers who got into cruising, and both had purchased Hunters for the purpose. The interviewees praised the Hunters. With no editorializing, both articles featured photos of said Hunters having their rudders replaced.
Hunters were the only boat used by a charter co/sailing school I worked for, so I sailed on them a lot, inland and offshore. Would not recommend them for the latter. They are great at anchor and for dock parties, though. Seriously. They have lots of head room and other conveniences that are not important for offshore sailing.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 08:39   #57

Boat: 1990 Island Packet 32

I've been living aboard a 1990 Island Packet 32 for 6 years. The first year alone; now 5 years with my husband.
We think our boat is just the right size for the two of us.
Take a look at these boats and see if you think it's awesome. We do.
Old 18-04-2022, 08:59   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Catalina 38…..here’s one with cruising gear
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...a-380-7957822/
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 09:06   #59

Boat: Pearson 386

I tend to agree with the Mithril Bhram suggestion. There are many vessels that meet the needs for seasonal sailing in the Caribbean but probably aren't the best for long term cruising. You want to find a boat that has been owned by a knowledgeable and experienced sailor that has kept up its systems. Stay away from boats that have been in charter service unless you're ready to spend the extra time and money for upgrading its systems. A boat with recent canvas, a pilothouse, recent electronics, and a shaft instead of a sail drive would be higher on my list. If you are going all in and are convinced you will be happy as liveaboard cruisers you might consider a proven boat with a center cockpit like a Morgan 41 or Peterson 44 but you do want a stowaway mainsail or boat with a shorter sailplan rigged to reef safely. Having an aft cabin makes a good "garage" without cluttering your living quarters. I would defer to the judgement of those with experience over that of 90% of marine surveyors. Pre-covid it was relatively easy to find a boat owned by a couple having already done what you have in mind, and are coming back to land. It is very helpful if the previous owner is willing to introduce you to their boat and its systems, that will save you much time and money. You can expect about 15% of cost for annual maintenance.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 09:24   #60

Boat: Delphia, 33 Sloop, 32'9"

There are a good number of sailboats available that meet your requirements. I have a Delphia 33 that I bought new in 2007 and love it. The boat is currently located in Tacoma, Washington. I plan to sail her for the last time this coming summer into British Columbia and various ports in the Puget Sound. S/V Margo has a great reputation and has been admired by many sailors in the PNW. Unfortunately, it is time for me to put her onto the market since I have moved to Daytona Beach and plan to move to the dark side (trawler). The east coast of Florida isn't a great place roe dep draft boats and I plan to cruise the Caribbean and Bahamas starting next year. If interested, I can provide you with more details upon request.

Capt. Jerry
JerrySte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc