Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2022, 10:10   #61

Re: IN SEARCH OF AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek4 View Post
Thank you for your input, Beneteau seems to be more praised than the Marlow-Hunter or Hunter, is there any specific Catalina model(s) I should research?
You may want look at an Island Packet 320 or 350. These are in your budget with full keels, cutter rig and great interiors. There are also a bit older IP’s very much the same but they do not have the sugar scoop in the stern. The sugar scoop makes it much easier to get in and out of a dinghy. As we get older this becomes more important.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 11:37   #62

Boat: Catalina 350

I would second a look at an Island Packet. I have owned a Catalina 350, Beneteau 361, and currently have an Island Packet 350.
The Catalina 350 is a good boat. Berths are roomy, mattresses were very good, head is well laid out, and the galley was very functional. Head room was very good throughout. The salon arrangement was not my favorite for larger gatherings. Company support was very good. Quality was good for its intended purpose.
The 361 was the fastest of the group. Berths were not as good as the Catalina. Salon was tighter. While the head had a separate shower stall, water collected in the entire head. There was no design to keep water in the shower stall. Quality was not the greatest and company support was poor. Boat tended to flex and feel more out of control in larger winds/seas. All three of the boats had furling mains. Seems like the Bene used lower quality parts for the furling. Preferred the bolt on keel bolts and lead keel of the Catalina to the screw on iron keel of the Bene. Interior support pans tended to trap water in places. Finish on the interior woodwork peeled off. This is a know problem that appeared shortly after build on some boats and many years later on others. I never received a call back from Beneteau on this issue, they kept ducking my calls after I left a message indicating what the problem was. After a number of calls, I received a well worn photocopy responding to the issue with an offer to refinish the interior for $15k or $20k, I forgot the actual amount thought it was in that ballpark. After trial and error, I found a pretty good method of removing the peeling finish myself.
The Island Packet 350 is a great boat. All systems work well with a quality build. No balsa cored decks to rot. Forward and aft cabins are great. Head works well. Salon is large, roomy, and will seat a larger group for dinner or games. Galley is well laid out. While not as fast as the Bene, it is no slouch. When the wind and seas pick up, the boat is solid and easily managable without feeling out of control. Makes for an easier and more relaxed ride in rougher conditions. At 4' 3", the draft is great. The genoa tacked much easier with the stay sail than I anticipated. While I like the look of the exterior teak, it is more maintenance. The freezer/fridge is large, though not as easily accessible as the other two. Cockpit is secure, though a walk through transom is preferred when weather is good. The boat does not turn well while backing, though has a very good turning radius in forward.
The Island Packet is my personal favorite of the three. The Catalina is a good boat. I would avoid the Beneteau.
JoeDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 11:43   #63

My two cents, for which I expect change. I've owned two Catalina's, a Hunter, and sailed on a friend's new Hunter for years. Plus experience on Beneteaus, Pearsons, and Columbias to name a few.

Hunter- way too light for any serious ocean sailing. My friend's boat (we sailed up and down the coast of New England/Mid-Atlantic several times) had many quality problems (think keel not glassed correctly, undersized shrouds, interior furniture that could not handle 4-6' seas). Also, can't fully stretch out in the cock pit like you can in a Catalina or an IP. You spend so much h time topside, keep that in mind. Hunter is a great floating condo and fine for light sailing but I'd be horribly concerned in a bad blow or any long offshore passages.

Catalina- decent production boat, pointed well, gear was beefy for a production boat. Both my older Catalinas only needed the regular maintenance you would need for older boats. Would add some things from a safety standpoint if taking it island hopping or for long offshore passages. And with the right equipment, would be comfortable sailing to the Caribbean in one. Cockpits were long enough that seating became 2nd berths at anchor on hot nights.

Beneteaus- lots of em doing ocean crossings. Point really well and are fast. Not a fan of the interiors, seemed a bit cramped to me and I'm shorter than you.

All that said, I'd still consider an older Island Packet or something w/ a full keel and a little more heft. May sail slower in lighter winds, but better than being scared out of your gord in a lighter fin keel w/ no backstay like a Hunter.
proudsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 12:43   #64

Boat: Looking to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo2jones View Post
There were two separate articles in the Local sailing rag, both interviewing folks who were non sailers who got into cruising, and both had purchased Hunters for the purpose. The interviewees praised the Hunters. With no editorializing, both articles featured photos of said Hunters having their rudders replaced.
Hunters were the only boat used by a charter co/sailing school I worked for, so I sailed on them a lot, inland and offshore. Would not recommend them for the latter. They are great at anchor and for dock parties, though. Seriously. They have lots of head room and other conveniences that are not important for offshore sailing.
Yes the Hunters seem to have very interesting interior layouts, but it does seems not the best for offshore and rough water sailing.
Thank you!
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 12:49   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundhaven View Post
I've been living aboard a 1990 Island Packet 32 for 6 years. The first year alone; now 5 years with my husband.
We think our boat is just the right size for the two of us.
Take a look at these boats and see if you think it's awesome. We do.
Thank you for the information, I will consider them.
Old 18-04-2022, 12:51   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofacey View Post
Catalina 38…..here’s one with cruising gear
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...a-380-7957822/
Thank you for the link.
Old 18-04-2022, 12:54   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBoatman View Post
I tend to agree with the Mithril Bhram suggestion. There are many vessels that meet the needs for seasonal sailing in the Caribbean but probably aren't the best for long term cruising. You want to find a boat that has been owned by a knowledgeable and experienced sailor that has kept up its systems. Stay away from boats that have been in charter service unless you're ready to spend the extra time and money for upgrading its systems. A boat with recent canvas, a pilothouse, recent electronics, and a shaft instead of a sail drive would be higher on my list. If you are going all in and are convinced you will be happy as liveaboard cruisers you might consider a proven boat with a center cockpit like a Morgan 41 or Peterson 44 but you do want a stowaway mainsail or boat with a shorter sailplan rigged to reef safely. Having an aft cabin makes a good "garage" without cluttering your living quarters. I would defer to the judgement of those with experience over that of 90% of marine surveyors. Pre-covid it was relatively easy to find a boat owned by a couple having already done what you have in mind, and are coming back to land. It is very helpful if the previous owner is willing to introduce you to their boat and its systems, that will save you much time and money. You can expect about 15% of cost for annual maintenance.
Thank you for this information, I will certainly keep this in mind.
Old 18-04-2022, 12:57   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySte View Post
There are a good number of sailboats available that meet your requirements. I have a Delphia 33 that I bought new in 2007 and love it. The boat is currently located in Tacoma, Washington. I plan to sail her for the last time this coming summer into British Columbia and various ports in the Puget Sound. S/V Margo has a great reputation and has been admired by many sailors in the PNW. Unfortunately, it is time for me to put her onto the market since I have moved to Daytona Beach and plan to move to the dark side (trawler). The east coast of Florida isn't a great place roe dep draft boats and I plan to cruise the Caribbean and Bahamas starting next year. If interested, I can provide you with more details upon request.

Capt. Jerry
Thank you for the information, I will include in my search and keep this in mind.
Old 18-04-2022, 12:59   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
You may want look at an Island Packet 320 or 350. These are in your budget with full keels, cutter rig and great interiors. There are also a bit older IP’s very much the same but they do not have the sugar scoop in the stern. The sugar scoop makes it much easier to get in and out of a dinghy. As we get older this becomes more important.
Yes I prefer having an easy access at the stern, just in case I keep it for a long time. Thank you!
Old 18-04-2022, 13:04   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDig View Post
I would second a look at an Island Packet. I have owned a Catalina 350, Beneteau 361, and currently have an Island Packet 350.
The Catalina 350 is a good boat. Berths are roomy, mattresses were very good, head is well laid out, and the galley was very functional. Head room was very good throughout. The salon arrangement was not my favorite for larger gatherings. Company support was very good. Quality was good for its intended purpose.
The 361 was the fastest of the group. Berths were not as good as the Catalina. Salon was tighter. While the head had a separate shower stall, water collected in the entire head. There was no design to keep water in the shower stall. Quality was not the greatest and company support was poor. Boat tended to flex and feel more out of control in larger winds/seas. All three of the boats had furling mains. Seems like the Bene used lower quality parts for the furling. Preferred the bolt on keel bolts and lead keel of the Catalina to the screw on iron keel of the Bene. Interior support pans tended to trap water in places. Finish on the interior woodwork peeled off. This is a know problem that appeared shortly after build on some boats and many years later on others. I never received a call back from Beneteau on this issue, they kept ducking my calls after I left a message indicating what the problem was. After a number of calls, I received a well worn photocopy responding to the issue with an offer to refinish the interior for $15k or $20k, I forgot the actual amount thought it was in that ballpark. After trial and error, I found a pretty good method of removing the peeling finish myself.
The Island Packet 350 is a great boat. All systems work well with a quality build. No balsa cored decks to rot. Forward and aft cabins are great. Head works well. Salon is large, roomy, and will seat a larger group for dinner or games. Galley is well laid out. While not as fast as the Bene, it is no slouch. When the wind and seas pick up, the boat is solid and easily managable without feeling out of control. Makes for an easier and more relaxed ride in rougher conditions. At 4' 3", the draft is great. The genoa tacked much easier with the stay sail than I anticipated. While I like the look of the exterior teak, it is more maintenance. The freezer/fridge is large, though not as easily accessible as the other two. Cockpit is secure, though a walk through transom is preferred when weather is good. The boat does not turn well while backing, though has a very good turning radius in forward.
The Island Packet is my personal favorite of the three. The Catalina is a good boat. I would avoid the Beneteau.
Thank you very much for you informative and elaborate reply.
Old 18-04-2022, 13:08   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudsailor View Post
My two cents, for which I expect change. I've owned two Catalina's, a Hunter, and sailed on a friend's new Hunter for years. Plus experience on Beneteaus, Pearsons, and Columbias to name a few.

Hunter- way too light for any serious ocean sailing. My friend's boat (we sailed up and down the coast of New England/Mid-Atlantic several times) had many quality problems (think keel not glassed correctly, undersized shrouds, interior furniture that could not handle 4-6' seas). Also, can't fully stretch out in the cock pit like you can in a Catalina or an IP. You spend so much h time topside, keep that in mind. Hunter is a great floating condo and fine for light sailing but I'd be horribly concerned in a bad blow or any long offshore passages.

Catalina- decent production boat, pointed well, gear was beefy for a production boat. Both my older Catalinas only needed the regular maintenance you would need for older boats. Would add some things from a safety standpoint if taking it island hopping or for long offshore passages. And with the right equipment, would be comfortable sailing to the Caribbean in one. Cockpits were long enough that seating became 2nd berths at anchor on hot nights.

Beneteaus- lots of em doing ocean crossings. Point really well and are fast. Not a fan of the interiors, seemed a bit cramped to me and I'm shorter than you.

All that said, I'd still consider an older Island Packet or something w/ a full keel and a little more heft. May sail slower in lighter winds, but better than being scared out of your gord in a lighter fin keel w/ no backstay like a Hunter.
Thank you for your time in elaborating this reply.
Old 18-04-2022, 16:55   #72
KWF

Boat: Tartan 3500, 35 feet

Would consider an older Tartan. Can get a 3500 well within your
budget with money l ft for upgrades.
KWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 17:08   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWF View Post
Would consider an older Tartan. Can get a 3500 well within your
budget with money l ft for upgrades.
Yes another has suggested that also, but as long as it's a sailboat from the 21st century and not a full keel, I will consider.
Thank you!
Old 18-04-2022, 17:44   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Look no further than the Beneteau 423
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 19:20   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Look no further than the Beneteau 423
I will consider, but I was more thinking of a 361, 343, 373 or 331, in that order, if of course a Beneteau, but I must say, they have moved up since Hunter models have moved down, but I haven't closed my mind to other options yet.
Thank you!

Tags
arc