Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2022, 13:15   #91

Boat: Looking to buy
Re: IN SEARCH OF AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
1. set a budget. That's easy.

2. Figure out what size you want. 31' is a lot different than 36'

3. Buy a boat in that size and budget range that you find and like.

Don't limit yourself by thinking one model is better than another. Condition is more important than manufacturer. Half the people that post here have no idea what they're talking about, so take critiques with a grain of salt.
Thank you I will take this in consideration.
You're so very true about the size statement, the more I research the more i see that many, not all, 30-33 are cramped for space, don't have certain options I like.
On the plus side, most 34-37, seem to be more and more a good "fit" with me, space and option wise.
Several 38-39, have 3 cabins, red flag instantly pops in to my head.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 16:24   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I just want to throw out this one last thing. Got nothing to do with boats.

Marina's. This is were you will presumably be keeping the boat.

Marina prices vary depending on location, but expect an amount anywhere from $15-25/ft per month. For your average 35 footer, this is $525-875/month
Some marina's charge by the slip regardless of the size of your boat, so your 35 footer may end up in 40 slip and you will be charged accordingly.
Then you need to add to electricity, figure $100/month.
Marina's will also throw in stuff like environmental fees, dock box fees, liability insurance, taxes, etc.

You'll spend more on maintenance than you think.

In round numbers allow for $700-1,000/month to keep a boat somewhere.
This is a $8,400-12,000 yearly cost that has nothing to do the with the boat at all.
After a few years it grow to a significant amount.

Every few years will you need to haul the boat to apply antifouling paint, new zincs, etc. This can also vary, but you are looking at $2,000 minimum and upwards.

I don't know where you would plan on keeping the boat, but every year we have to deal with hurricanes. This might require you to move the boat, haul it or take other precautions.

Finally, insurance companies can be notoriously difficult to deal with. Some won't insure used boats older than a certain age, etc, but anticipate another $150 or so/month in addition to all the above. Most insurance companies restrict movement during hurricane season, etc.

Then factor in how often you might use the boat. Let's say twice a month for 6 months, so 12 trips. So each trip will cost you about $1,500 in round numbers, including diesel.

In a real sense, this makes chartering a boat for a couple of weeks every year a bargain.

Off course, if you have a slip behind your house, ignore much of the above.

I see boats at our local marina's that were once someone's pride and joy, but the maintenance finally overcame them or other factors caused them to not use the boat as planned. New they are derelicts screaming for much needed love and attention. Nobody ever comes to the boat anymore. Maybe once every 6 months or so, somebody will pop in for a few minutes and leave again.

For most, they also had the "dream".

I look at marina's in my area, and hardly anyone leaves the dock. Occasionally, someone might go out for a daysail, etc. but most have a healthy growth of barnacles around their waterline attesting to how little the boat gets used.

That is the negative side.

On the plus side, if you are anything like me, I like to putz around the boat. Fixing this, painting that, a little varnish there, some rope work here, etc. Call it therapy if you wish. It's expensive therapy, but it is therapy.

Finally, finding friends or family to go sailing with you will be a bigger problem than you could anticipate, leaving you at the dock wondering....

Where will you fit in this picture ?
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 04:50   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

Marina prices vary depending on location, but expect an amount anywhere from $15-25/ft per month. For your average 35 footer, this is $525-875/month
Some marina's charge by the slip regardless of the size of your boat, so your 35 footer may end up in 40 slip and you will be charged accordingly.
Marina's will also throw in stuff like environmental fees, dock box fees, liability insurance, taxes, etc.

This is a $8,400-12,000 yearly cost that has nothing to do the with the boat at all.

Every few years will you need to haul the boat to apply antifouling paint, new zincs, etc. This can also vary, but you are looking at $2,000 minimum and upwards.

I don't know where you would plan on keeping the boat, but every year we have to deal with hurricanes. This might require you to move the boat, haul it or take other precautions.

Finally, insurance companies can be notoriously difficult to deal with. Some won't insure used boats older than a certain age, etc, but anticipate another $150 or so/month in addition to all the above. Most insurance companies restrict movement during hurricane season, etc.

Then factor in how often you might use the boat. Let's say twice a month for 6 months, so 12 trips. So each trip will cost you about $1,500 in round numbers, including diesel.

In a real sense, this makes chartering a boat for a couple of weeks every year a bargain.

I see boats at our local marina's that were once someone's pride and joy, but the maintenance finally overcame them or other factors caused them to not use the boat as planned. New they are derelicts screaming for much needed love and attention. Nobody ever comes to the boat anymore. Maybe once every 6 months or so, somebody will pop in for a few minutes and leave again.

I look at marina's in my area, and hardly anyone leaves the dock. Occasionally, someone might go out for a daysail, etc. but most have a healthy growth of barnacles around their waterline attesting to how little the boat gets used.

On the plus side, if you are anything like me, I like to putz around the boat. Fixing this, painting that, a little varnish there, some rope work here, etc. Call it therapy if you wish. It's expensive therapy, but it is therapy.

Finally, finding friends or family to go sailing with you will be a bigger problem than you could anticipate, leaving you at the dock wondering....

Again I must say that I'm in your debt for the numerous informative and constructive inputs.

I must say hurricanes/typhoons I was planning to avoid as much as possible, by sailing to destinations less prone to them once at peak season, in the caribbean Panama, Grenada or Barbados, in SE Asia Gulf of Thailand, Adaman sea or west coast of Sumatra.

While sailing in the caribbean, I want to try to avoid as much as possible docking at Marinas, this is why I want to make sure to have an excellent electric home bank with 600ah lithium batteries, 800wh solar panels and a water maker 12v DC type. Might as well spend more on a good electrical system than marina fees.

In Thailand the cost is easier on the wallet at marinas, for now at least, so I might indulge a little more there, because we will spend about 70% of our time at her house and 30% on the boat, the heat can be very intense for a few months in that area, so will need air conditioning at boat and house, I also expect that I might be doing more solo sailing, once the newness fades away with my wife towards the boat, as time goes by.

Once I'm on my pension, I will find it great the first few months, but after that I will struggle to find things to keep me busy, so I plan to do as much as I can by myself on the boat maintenance wise, whatever I cannot do I will then consider using professionals.

I must say, the insurance part worries me a little, but I think I could get reasonable rates, since I will mostly keep to sailing within the tropics and I want to purchase a sailboat from 2000 to 2010, for this reason also.
Old 20-04-2022, 07:54   #94

Quote:

I was wondering if you would be kind enough to inform me, is there any type of paint that could last at least 5 years to keep haul outs to a strict minimum?
Old 20-04-2022, 11:02   #95
Marine Service Provider

Like many...I favor Pettit Trinidad bottom paint. These days it is close to $300 per gallon.

I don't know about 5 years though. I think you should anticipate 2-3 years max.

I generally apply two coats, which takes me about 2.5 gallons. Some haulout facilities will let you do your own thing, but others not.

You forgot to add a water maker to your list above.

I lived on the hook for a very long time. It is certainly do-able. You will require a good dink and motor. Something around 11' with a 15 hp engine will serve you well.
I lived without air conditioning and just acclimatized to it. I use windscoops to funnel air thru' the boat. Running an a/c will also require a generator.

I cruised for about 20 years without any insurance at all. Insurance is a bit of crapshoot in my opinion. If you factor in your insurance premiums, deductibles, etc, it's quite a sum. If you have a boat mortgage, insurance will be mandatory. I can't give you advice here. Insurance companies all have their own rules and conditions and price premiums. I think $1,500-1,800 per annum is likely what you'll pay.

Sounds like you have grandiose plans. You should invest in a good liferaft, EPIRP, sat phone, etc. Internet is everywhere now, so if you are anchored somewhere, you will likely have a source for internet.

Ocean sailing is not like coastal sailing at all. Your intended voyages may give you pause to consider. A good sailor is very knowledgeable about wind, waves and weather. No weather prediction is good for more than 2-3 days tops, then you are on your own. It takes a while to be knowledgeable about weather. The Caribbean offers very "boisterous" sailing conditions. It is in the trade wind belt. Do a charter there first for a firsthand look and then re-assess how you feel..

I go back to my original opinion...shared by many here....go charter a boat first.

It takes a while to develop seamanship skills. It is not like going on a car trip. From what you have said to date, I think you are jumping the gun here.

I hit the road when I was in my late 20's. I had no health insurance for the first two dozen years, I managed to do just fine. I lived a very physical lifestyle, dived every day, ate fresh fish, etc. But these days, while the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak and I see a Dr. more often than I'd like. There is a huge difference between being 20-30 and being 50-60 and 70 will be just around the corner, the odds will be stacked against you.

A new wife ...and a new boat ?? You're gonna have your hands full here !
Old 20-04-2022, 11:35   #96

Quote:
Like many...I favor Pettit Trinidad bottom paint. These days it is close to $300 per gallon.

I don't know about 5 years though. I think you should anticipate 2-3 years max.

I generally apply two coats, which takes me about 2.5 gallons. Some haulout facilities will let you do your own thing, but others not.

You forgot to add a water maker to your list above.

I lived on the hook for a very long time. It is certainly do-able. You will require a good dink and motor. Something around 11' with a 15 hp engine will serve you well.
I lived without air conditioning and just acclimatized to it. I use windscoops to funnel air thru' the boat. Running an a/c will also require a generator.

I cruised for about 20 years without any insurance at all. Insurance is a bit of crapshoot in my opinion. If you factor in your insurance premiums, deductibles, etc, it's quite a sum. If you have a boat mortgage, insurance will be mandatory. I can't give you advice here. Insurance companies all have their own rules and conditions and price premiums. I think $1,500-1,800 per annum is likely what you'll pay.

Sounds like you have grandiose plans. You should invest in a good liferaft, EPIRP, sat phone, etc. Internet is everywhere now, so if you are anchored somewhere, you will likely have a source for internet.

Ocean sailing is not like coastal sailing at all. Your intended voyages may give you pause to consider. A good sailor is very knowledgeable about wind, waves and weather. No weather prediction is good for more than 2-3 days tops, then you are on your own. It takes a while to be knowledgeable about weather. The Caribbean offers very "boisterous" sailing conditions. It is in the trade wind belt. Do a charter there first for a firsthand look and then re-assess how you feel..

I go back to my original opinion...shared by many here....go charter a boat first.

It takes a while to develop seamanship skills. It is not like going on a car trip. From what you have said to date, I think you are jumping the gun here.

I hit the road when I was in my late 20's. I had no health insurance for the first two dozen years, I managed to do just fine. I lived a very physical lifestyle, dived every day, ate fresh fish, etc. But these days, while the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak and I see a Dr. more often than I'd like. There is a huge difference between being 20-30 and being 50-60 and 70 will be just around the corner, the odds will be stacked against you.

A new wife ...and a new boat ?? You're gonna have your hands full here !

Thank you again for your true and honest reply, always look forward to it.

Well I see that brand seems to have good results in the 24 to 30 months category, but what do you think of the Coppercoat and their 5 year claim?

Yes I did mention a water maker right after the solar panels.

Well I was thinking more like 10' with 5hp, is more than this so much better?

Well at the start I want to have insurance, just to be on the safe side.

Yes of course a life raft is a must and as much electronics I can afford in my budget, that is not already included in a purchase.

Internet, some say don't count on it, others say you will pay, some say when not too far from a grid is ok.

Yes will charter a boat, maybe even a few times, hopefully in the caribbean.

Well I'm not planning on doing a circumnavigation, at most I will make passage from the caribbean to SE ASia and then mostly sail Gulf of Thailand and SE Asia in general.

Never said I would "change" wife, just implied that we both know we need breathing room, from time to time, for days if not weeks and we are both fine with that.
Old 20-04-2022, 13:28   #97
Marine Service Provider

Sailing from The Caribbean to SE Asia is a v-e-r-y long trip. There are several good guides to read regarding this trip, when to leave, etc.

I don't know all the different brands of bottom paint. Over the years, I have tried various brands, but don't remember the brand names. I eventually settled on Pettit Trinidad, and have used it exclusively ever since and like it.

Dink and what size motor is a hot topic on this forum. 5 hp is simply not adequate in my opinion to get a dink on plane. It's a quandary. More hp is nice, but comes at a price, 'cuz they are heavy and guzzle fuel. My opinion is that 15 hp is in that sweet spot, big, but not too big, but it is heavy, around 100 lbs so manhandling it on and off the dink is a pain in the rear end. There is no end to the different type of dinks out there. I have my preferences and others have theirs. I like to spearfish, which requires a long run out to the reefs sometimes, but if you are just harbor hopping, 5 hp will be fine as will be a 10' dink.

Experience will eventually dictate what type dink and motor will suit you best.

I can't answer all of your question. You'll have to figure some of this stuff out on your own. Best way to do that is time on the water.

I had a million questions before I set out, but most had to be answered by my own experiences. It becomes a trial by error. Your situation will be different from mine and others.

You can only ask so many questions, then it becomes time to get your feet wet. Somewhere along the line you will encounter nasty weather. How you deal with this will set the tone for the rest of your trip.
Old 20-04-2022, 15:02   #98

Quote:
Sailing from The Caribbean to SE Asia is a v-e-r-y long trip. There are several good guides to read regarding this trip, when to leave, etc.

I don't know all the different brands of bottom paint. Over the years, I have tried various brands, but don't remember the brand names. I eventually settled on Pettit Trinidad, and have used it exclusively ever since and like it.

Dink and what size motor is a hot topic on this forum. 5 hp is simply not adequate in my opinion to get a dink on plane. It's a quandary. More hp is nice, but comes at a price, 'cuz they are heavy and guzzle fuel. My opinion is that 15 hp is in that sweet spot, big, but not too big, but it is heavy, around 100 lbs so manhandling it on and off the dink is a pain in the rear end. There is no end to the different type of dinks out there. I have my preferences and others have theirs. I like to spearfish, which requires a long run out to the reefs sometimes, but if you are just harbor hopping, 5 hp will be fine as will be a 10' dink.

Experience will eventually dictate what type dink and motor will suit you best.

I can't answer all of your question. You'll have to figure some of this stuff out on your own. Best way to do that is time on the water.

I had a million questions before I set out, but most had to be answered by my own experiences. It becomes a trial by error. Your situation will be different from mine and others.

You can only ask so many questions, then it becomes time to get your feet wet. Somewhere along the line you will encounter nasty weather. How you deal with this will set the tone for the rest of your trip.
Yes, but the worst part is getting to French Polynesia, then after island hoping doesn't seem so bad, at least in theory.
I just hope there will be sufficient fish to catch, I love Salmon and Tuna, but I'm flexible, the wife will eat almost any fish, so I was hoping to line fish from the stern with a bungee cord and a small bell attached to the line.

I think I will be going with my initial plan for the dink then.

Yes, sorry about that, my part of the brain that desires to absorb everything, sometimes takes over on the rational part.

Thanks again, you're a real gentleman!
Old 20-04-2022, 15:06   #99

Hi,
Meant to send this a couple of days ago. There's a Hallberg-Rassy 31 for sale on Yachtworld at the moment. Might be a little small or possibly it's right in your size range. Likely won't find a better built boat, solid, safe, user friendly and with an SA/D of 21 she should sail rather smartly.
Luxcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 15:19   #100
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: IN SEARCH OF AWESOME

[QUOTE=Drek4;3609788]
Thus a sailboat seems to be the proper alternative, no noise and as long as you got wind, you can go anywhere, or almost.
.[/QUOToE]

Drek4.. Don't kid yourself, there's always noise on a sailboat, slating sails in light winds, screeching rigging when to much, waves lapping the hull at anchor or crashing into it at sea.. pot's crashing around below, and guests screaming hysterically.. when they're not retching..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 15:32   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxcat View Post
Hi,
Meant to send this a couple of days ago. There's a Hallberg-Rassy 31 for sale on Yachtworld at the moment. Might be a little small or possibly it's right in your size range. Likely won't find a better built boat, solid, safe, user friendly and with an SA/D of 21 she should sail rather smartly.
Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate this.
Everything seems solid, a fine ship, but I should have included in my details that my search was for a wheel driven sailboat, this one has a tiller.
I'm 6'3", so that would be a deal breaker in my case.
Old 20-04-2022, 15:36   #102

[QUOTE=boatman61;3610593]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek4 View Post
Thus a sailboat seems to be the proper alternative, no noise and as long as you got wind, you can go anywhere, or almost.
.[/QUOToE]

Drek4.. Don't kid yourself, there's always noise on a sailboat, slating sails in light winds, screeching rigging when to much, waves lapping the hull at anchor or crashing into it at sea.. pot's crashing around below, and guests screaming hysterically.. when they're not retching..
Thanks for making me laugh, that was a good reply with humour!
But the sound of waves always seems soothing, except when they come crashing down
Old 20-04-2022, 16:12   #103

Ou, yes, sorry, missed that. In complete agreement on the wheel vs. tiller. Maybe a J Boat?
Luxcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 16:26   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxcat View Post
Ou, yes, sorry, missed that. In complete agreement on the wheel vs. tiller. Maybe a J Boat?
I think that they would be just awesome as a racer or daily sailboat, they must handle very well. If for cruising I'm sure my wife, would make me turn back to shore in less than a week. Thank you the same for your suggestion.
Old 20-04-2022, 17:27   #105
Marine Service Provider

Catching fish from the stern of your boat is no easy matter.

For years I trolled some lines behind my boat fitted with some feathered lures.
My success rate was dismal to say the least. I would catch fish...on occasion, but it was not unusual to spend days...even weeks...without a bite.

There is both an art and a science to this. Then I got lucky and made friends with a guy that knew deep sea fishing inside out and who, bless his heart, agreed to to " teach me".
It was quite a detailed learning process. Everything matters...how far back the lure is...how deep it runs...the type and weight of line...the correct swivels....the type of lure.....the color of the lure...how much flash....the type of hook.....etc..etc...etc....the time of day...the moon phase...many things...
I like to use fishing rods in lieu of a fixed reel. This allows me to set the drag, and it will also notify me, when a fish is on. If using multiple rods, it is not unusual for two rods to go off at the same time. Then you will have your hands full.

I tend to luff the sails, so as to slow the boat, when bringing in a fishing line, as I find it easier.

It took some time to " learn the ropes" so to speak, but my catch rate skyrocketed.
Besides learning all these techniques, he also showed me how to properly clean a fish.

You will need to know how to handle a long handled gaff, at the same time holding a fishing rod, as most fish caught offshore will be of some size. You will need to know how to subdue a fish once onboard, no easy matter, swinging a 30 lb very unhappy fish onboard, especially one's with a lot of teeth. Fish like tuna will bleed profusely. You will be working in a confined space, with a lot of gear around you, and likely barefoot to boot. Let me tell you from experience, that a gaff tip going thru' your foot is not a pleasant experience.

Preparation is key. You will need a bucket with a rope, a flat cleaning area, some gloves....and most importantly...a very sharp fillet knife.

Afterwards, you will have quite the mess to clean up. You, yourself will reek of fish, and nobody will want to come near you.

Once I've caught a big fish, I usually put the rods up, as I will have enuff to eat for several days.

From time to time, you will catch a shark or big barracuda. Say goodbye to your lure and cut the line.

I'ver had fish so big, they'd strip 400' of line off a reel in seconds. Not much you can do about that, except to re-spool.

I don't put the rods out at night, as working in the dark presents a safety hazard.

Eating fresh fish at sea is a treat. Knowing how to properly prepare and cook a fish is all part of the equation.

Tags
arc