Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2022, 17:54   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: IN SEARCH OF AWESOME

I forgot to add...fishing lures only work when you impart "action" to them. I have found that speeds less than 5 knots is not conducive to catching fish, around 7 knots or better is you target speed.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 18:16   #107

Boat: Looking to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Catching fish from the stern of your boat is no easy matter.

For years I trolled some lines behind my boat fitted with some feathered lures.
My success rate was dismal to say the least. I would catch fish...on occasion, but it was not unusual to spend days...even weeks...without a bite.

There is both an art and a science to this. Then I got lucky and made friends with a guy that knew deep sea fishing inside out and who, bless his heart, agreed to to " teach me".
It was quite a detailed learning process. Everything matters...how far back the lure is...how deep it runs...the type and weight of line...the correct swivels....the type of lure.....the color of the lure...how much flash....the type of hook.....etc..etc...etc....the time of day...the moon phase...many things...
I like to use fishing rods in lieu of a fixed reel. This allows me to set the drag, and it will also notify me, when a fish is on. If using multiple rods, it is not unusual for two rods to go off at the same time. Then you will have your hands full.

I tend to luff the sails, so as to slow the boat, when bringing in a fishing line, as I find it easier.

It took some time to " learn the ropes" so to speak, but my catch rate skyrocketed.
Besides learning all these techniques, he also showed me how to properly clean a fish.

You will need to know how to handle a long handled gaff, at the same time holding a fishing rod, as most fish caught offshore will be of some size. You will need to know how to subdue a fish once onboard, no easy matter, swinging a 30 lb very unhappy fish onboard, especially one's with a lot of teeth. Fish like tuna will bleed profusely. You will be working in a confined space, with a lot of gear around you, and likely barefoot to boot. Let me tell you from experience, that a gaff tip going thru' your foot is not a pleasant experience.

Preparation is key. You will need a bucket with a rope, a flat cleaning area, some gloves....and most importantly...a very sharp fillet knife.

Afterwards, you will have quite the mess to clean up. You, yourself will reek of fish, and nobody will want to come near you.

Once I've caught a big fish, I usually put the rods up, as I will have enuff to eat for several days.

From time to time, you will catch a shark or big barracuda. Say goodbye to your lure and cut the line.

I'ver had fish so big, they'd strip 400' of line off a reel in seconds. Not much you can do about that, except to re-spool.

I don't put the rods out at night, as working in the dark presents a safety hazard.

Eating fresh fish at sea is a treat. Knowing how to properly prepare and cook a fish is all part of the equation.
I tried to find more information on youtube on this subject, many do it this way, but they rarely go into details.
The details I did get was, hooks 1 1/2" to 2", blue, green, yellow and red lures must be in your inventory, because it will vary from fish to fish.
Cheap vodka in the gills by assistant a knife through the gills or brain to finish. Gaffer, bucket, gloves, crocs and a towel to minimize the mess.
For preparing and cooking, me and the wife have both our ideas, depending of type of fish.
Hard enough in the day, suicidal at night.
Will bring a rod and plenty of line in case, but most likely will be 50lbs lines, small sharks are hard to cut, but the big ones will ruin a good blade.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 18:18   #108

Quote:
I forgot to add...fishing lures only work when you impart "action" to them. I have found that speeds less than 5 knots is not conducive to catching fish, around 7 knots or better is you target speed.
Thank you, very good information, good to know.
Old 20-04-2022, 18:48   #109

So, I'll chime in with, well not advice really. Just a perspective. I'm a new sailor with my first boat. Oh, I've sailed off and on my whole life - day sails here and there, Hobie cats, lil lasers on vacation, my family even had a 28ft something or other we sailed on the Chesapeake in my teen years.

A dream of mine for decades has been to retire on a sailboat and live the carefree island life. Now that I'm older, I figured I'd best get my ass in gear, so I took some lessons, went out with acquaintances, took a class or two and spent hours and hours on forums and YouTube.

Of course, I want a sexy, shiny world cruiser and to go to all the amazing places and do amazing things, but being slightly wiser and more self aware in my advancing years I decided to get a cheap, reputable starter boat.

I'd only ever sailed in good weather. I'd only spent one night aboard and that was nearly 30yrs ago. What if I got seasick when the wind picked up? What if I couldn't sleep? What if it's too much work? What if I got scared out in the ocean all alone? I definitely didn't wanna spend a buncha money and do a buncha work and end up like 90% of boat owners that never use their boats.

Finally, a few months ago, i bought an old catalina 30. Another month or two (and far more money than expected) and it's ready to leave the marina for real. Now I've been out a couple months on my own, sailing down the Florida coast and into the keys and I've learned so much, some from here, some from other sailors, most the hard way. And I'm learning lots about what I want in the next boat, if I get one.

The jury's still out on that - it hasn't been easy. There are innumerable inconveniences that go hand in hand with boat life. Everything is slower, harder, and more expensive. Making plans is significantly harder because the weather hates you - gotta go north? Nope. That's where the wind comes from all week. Predict wind says today is the day you can finally make it out to that snorkeling spot. Nope. The algorithm is wrong. Again. Need to fill up your water? Head over to this great lil harbor park with a dock and pump outs and water and a bar. Well, there's a bar, but everything else is broken.

Don't get me wrong - there are some great things about sailing and living on a boat, but holy hell, every little thing you want to do is gonna have a whole bunch of other things you gotta do first, just cuz that's how living in a plastic bucket in the ocean works.

I sure hope I adapt, because the dream is still dreamy and the good stuff is pretty freakin good.
soopad00pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 04:42   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopad00pa View Post
So, I'll chime in with, well not advice really. Just a perspective. I'm a new sailor with my first boat. Oh, I've sailed off and on my whole life - day sails here and there, Hobie cats, lil lasers on vacation, my family even had a 28ft something or other we sailed on the Chesapeake in my teen years.

A dream of mine for decades has been to retire on a sailboat and live the carefree island life. Now that I'm older, I figured I'd best get my ass in gear, so I took some lessons, went out with acquaintances, took a class or two and spent hours and hours on forums and YouTube.
Of course, I want a sexy, shiny world cruiser and to go to all the amazing places and do amazing things, but being slightly wiser and more self aware in my advancing years I decided to get a cheap, reputable starter boat.

I'd only ever sailed in good weather. I'd only spent one night aboard and that was nearly 30yrs ago. What if I got seasick when the wind picked up? What if I couldn't sleep? What if it's too much work? What if I got scared out in the ocean all alone? I definitely didn't wanna spend a buncha money and do a buncha work and end up like 90% of boat owners that never use their boats.

Finally, a few months ago, i bought an old catalina 30. Another month or two (and far more money than expected) and it's ready to leave the marina for real. Now I've been out a couple months on my own, sailing down the Florida coast and into the keys and I've learned so much, some from here, some from other sailors, most the hard way. And I'm learning lots about what I want in the next boat, if I get one.

The jury's still out on that - it hasn't been easy. There are innumerable inconveniences that go hand in hand with boat life. Everything is slower, harder, and more expensive. Making plans is significantly harder because the weather hates you - gotta go north? Nope. That's where the wind comes from all week. Predict wind says today is the day you can finally make it out to that snorkeling spot. Nope. The algorithm is wrong. Again. Need to fill up your water? Head over to this great lil harbor park with a dock and pump outs and water and a bar. Well, there's a bar, but everything else is broken.

Don't get me wrong - there are some great things about sailing and living on a boat, but holy hell, every little thing you want to do is gonna have a whole bunch of other things you gotta do first, just cuz that's how living in a plastic bucket in the ocean works.

I sure hope I adapt, because the dream is still dreamy and the good stuff is pretty freakin good.

Thank you for your input, words to reflect on.
I travelled to several countries, every year since 2006, except 2020, I go to a warm destination for 2 to 3 weeks, mostly in the Caribbean and SE Asia, I can tell you for a fact, that you expect everything to go as you want, since you do the research before you go, bring copies of all documents, etc.
There will always be uncontrollable variables in all that you plan and do, many will refer to this as Murphy's law.
Sometimes I wish I never knew about Murphy, at first this would frustrate me, because I thought the same as when I was in my comfort zone, where you think you control everything.

I don't know how predictable the weather is in your area, but it's insane in the area that I live, when you plan to bring down your temporary winter garage, on monday it says will be sunny this weekend, by thursday they now say that will have rain and winds of 30kmh, you want to cut your grass, best wait till thursday beore you plan.

Anyways now I accept the fact, I control nothing, life is but an illusion, if you want to control everything in your life, build a glorious white tower and throw away the key.
Old 21-04-2022, 05:37   #111
Marine Service Provider

Fishing. It would be difficult to describe without drawing a picture, but I'll try.

Some lures you can buy already pre-made with hook and line but I don't use those.

There are many kinds of lures, but the kind you'll most likely troll behind the boat should have the plastic or feather skirts. I like the one's with a flat head and some shiny silver streamers as they leave a trail of bubbles. They should be at least 6" long. The hook is hidden inside.....2" would be good. Some hooks are better than others, don't skint on good and "very sharp" hooks. Learn to sharpen hooks.
The hook should be attached with a wire leader with a haywire twist. Learn how to do this. Many Youtube video's on this. I use very thin wire, about 50 lb test. The wire needs to be only about 9-12" long, just long enuff, so when a fish attacks the lure it can't chomp thru' the fishing line. The fish can see this wire, so I like to make it short. At the other end of the wire, I put a very small swivel. I order mine online. They are 40 lb test and maybe 3/8" long. They are very small. This is tied to the other end of the wire with another haywire twist. The idea is to make this is all the least possible noticeable to the fish.
Fish can't do math, but they are not dumb either. Presenting as natural an offering is your best bet at catching fish.
On the other end of the swivel I tie 40 lb flourocarbon fishing line, about 20' long, then another small swivel and my main line. I don't use heavy fishing line, 20-30 lbs max as this gives the lure a better motion, but I will have a lot of it on a reel, at least 400'.

Fish tend to hit the lure at speed, so I set the drag quite low. How low ? High enuff to keep the lure from pulling away from the boat, but low enough that a slight tug will. Many fish have soft mouths' so I don't want the hook torn out by using too much drag. How far back is the lure. Hmmm...it depends on the seastate, but 75' is a good average.

After a fish hits the lure, it will want to take off at speed. This is where a soft drag and lotsa line come into play. The fish will tire quickly, which is when I start to reel it in. This why I slow the boat.

I like to use a rod, as I can keep the rod tip high, which in turn keeps the fish's head high, reducing it's ability to swim away.

When the fish approaches the boat, it will know what's coming and may have one last spurt of speed, so I keep the low drag setting.

It requires some patience. Simply reeling in a fish will result in a lost fish.

Switching gears. I enjoyed post #109. Written by someone who presented a great perspective
Old 21-04-2022, 07:23   #112

Quote:
Fishing. It would be difficult to describe without drawing a picture, but I'll try.

Some lures you can buy already pre-made with hook and line but I don't use those.

There are many kinds of lures, but the kind you'll most likely troll behind the boat should have the plastic or feather skirts. I like the one's with a flat head and some shiny silver streamers as they leave a trail of bubbles. They should be at least 6" long. The hook is hidden inside.....2" would be good. Some hooks are better than others, don't skint on good and "very sharp" hooks. Learn to sharpen hooks.
The hook should be attached with a wire leader with a haywire twist. Learn how to do this. Many Youtube video's on this. I use very thin wire, about 50 lb test. The wire needs to be only about 9-12" long, just long enuff, so when a fish attacks the lure it can't chomp thru' the fishing line. The fish can see this wire, so I like to make it short. At the other end of the wire, I put a very small swivel. I order mine online. They are 40 lb test and maybe 3/8" long. They are very small. This is tied to the other end of the wire with another haywire twist. The idea is to make this is all the least possible noticeable to the fish.
Fish can't do math, but they are not dumb either. Presenting as natural an offering is your best bet at catching fish.
On the other end of the swivel I tie 40 lb flourocarbon fishing line, about 20' long, then another small swivel and my main line. I don't use heavy fishing line, 20-30 lbs max as this gives the lure a better motion, but I will have a lot of it on a reel, at least 400'.

Fish tend to hit the lure at speed, so I set the drag quite low. How low ? High enuff to keep the lure from pulling away from the boat, but low enough that a slight tug will. Many fish have soft mouths' so I don't want the hook torn out by using too much drag. How far back is the lure. Hmmm...it depends on the seastate, but 75' is a good average.

After a fish hits the lure, it will want to take off at speed. This is where a soft drag and lotsa line come into play. The fish will tire quickly, which is when I start to reel it in. This why I slow the boat.

I like to use a rod, as I can keep the rod tip high, which in turn keeps the fish's head high, reducing it's ability to swim away.

When the fish approaches the boat, it will know what's coming and may have one last spurt of speed, so I keep the low drag setting.

It requires some patience. Simply reeling in a fish will result in a lost fish.

Switching gears. I enjoyed post #109. Written by someone who presented a great perspective

Thank you for this elaborate and detailed post, really appreciate this.
Will try to put this in action, once I charter a boat.
You failed to mention anything about specific colour, the ones I indicated are fine?

I'm glad you enjoyed his comment (#109) I'm just glad my wife ain't reading this forum, I prefer when it's not sugar coated, but with her, many comments would seed doubt in her mind about this plan of ours.
Old 21-04-2022, 07:52   #113
Marine Service Provider

I typically use a combo of yellow and green with a flash of silver .....can't say I have ever used red...

Going into a fishing store these days is quite something. I think a lot of lures are there to catch visiting shoppers and not fish. 100's of reels, rods, lures, and everything in between, etc.

I like to fish though and have an arsenal of 20 rods in my collection. Why so many, people often ask. I tell them it's like playing golf...a different club for a different purpose. Trolling is one thing, but I also like to do bottom fishing, etc. I also spearfish chase after lobster, conch, etc.

Recently, I have been experimenting with weighted fishing jigs, pioneered by the Japanese, and have been pleasant surprised at how effective this is.

I think post # 109 spells it out pretty load and clear. It's not all sugar and roses out there. Women, particularly, see things quite different from men.
Old 21-04-2022, 08:24   #114

Bravo
bmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 08:49   #115

Quote:
I typically use a combo of yellow and green with a flash of silver .....can't say I have ever used red...

Going into a fishing store these days is quite something. I think a lot of lures are there to catch visiting shoppers and not fish. 100's of reels, rods, lures, and everything in between, etc.

I like to fish though and have an arsenal of 20 rods in my collection. Why so many, people often ask. I tell them it's like playing golf...a different club for a different purpose. Trolling is one thing, but I also like to do bottom fishing, etc. I also spearfish chase after lobster, conch, etc.

Recently, I have been experimenting with weighted fishing jigs, pioneered by the Japanese, and have been pleasant surprised at how effective this is.

I think post # 109 spells it out pretty load and clear. It's not all sugar and roses out there. Women, particularly, see things quite different from men.

Yes I do agree, way too much to chose from, better to have a certain number and spares of them, than have a whole locker of lures.
Purchase about 2 rods, but hope line fishing will work good and mostly use that.

Love to eat lobster, but got to try fishing them, in warm water. I did catch a lot of crayfish in my youth, but that was easy and no rod required.

Yup both men and women like the same 3 things, but in a different order:
Men functional/comfortable/luxurious
Women luxurious/comfortable/functional
Old 21-04-2022, 13:23   #116
Marine Service Provider

Don't mean for this thread to wander off into a fishing thread.

But, as a for instance, I have two rods dedicated for the singular purpose of catching grouper. Typically in 100' plus of water depth.
Grouper like to attack a bait and immediately return to their hidey hole. Once in there, you won't get them out, therefore my grouper rods are like steel pipes, I use 100 lb braided test line and have the drag down tight as I can get it. I use the braided line because it has almost zero stretch.
You'll know when you have grouper on the line, as it will feel like hoisting up a truck. Not for an instant, can you give the grouper an inch of line. You can't pump the rod either for the first 20-25' or so, until clear of a reef or structure, you have to wind it in. You will develop muscles on top of muscles. Once in the boat, you'll need to take a well deserved break. A 30 lb grouper will work yer ass off. I've never heard of anyone catching a grouper by trolling for it. Could happen I guess.

I relate this story only to give a you a perspective of using a different rod, line, etc, for a different purposes. A trolling rig is completely inadequate to catch grouper.
Old 21-04-2022, 13:49   #117

Quote:
Don't mean for this thread to wander off into a fishing thread.

But, as a for instance, I have two rods dedicated for the singular purpose of catching grouper. Typically in 100' plus of water depth.
Grouper like to attack a bait and immediately return to their hidey hole. Once in there, you won't get them out, therefore my grouper rods are like steel pipes, I use 100 lb braided test line and have the drag down tight as I can get it. I use the braided line because it has almost zero stretch.
You'll know when you have grouper on the line, as it will feel like hoisting up a truck. Not for an instant, can you give the grouper an inch of line. You can't pump the rod either for the first 20-25' or so, until clear of a reef or structure, you have to wind it in. You will develop muscles on top of muscles. Once in the boat, you'll need to take a well deserved break. A 30 lb grouper will work yer ass off. I've never heard of anyone catching a grouper by trolling for it. Could happen I guess.

I relate this story only to give a you a perspective of using a different rod, line, etc, for a different purposes. A trolling rig is completely inadequate to catch grouper.

You seem to be very passionate about fishing, who knows maybe in time I will see it in the same way, but for now, I see it as a great means of delightful sustenance, but time and effort must be put in it to be successful.
Old 22-04-2022, 05:09   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Notice how all the promotional stuff focuses on the interior, interior, interior.

It's because the cockpit is about 3' long and the helm station squashed up at the extreme stern-end of the hull. I wonder how the helmsperson can even squeeze themselves behind that wheel! And all that open ocean immediately behind.

I would NOT ever want to do a significant passage on a boat with a cockpit like that! A bit of weather, ship a wave, and whoever's on the helm would be washed right off the boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek4 View Post
Thank you for your reply and input, but all the boats that seem to fit my criteria and dimensions, have aft cockpits similar to the Beneteau 361, MH 33, Bavaria 33, etc.

Yes I do emphasize the interior, since we are two that will live and share this boat. Going with a middle cockpit increases the size and opens up a whole new can of worms.
I was *not* making a comparison between aft-cockpit versus centre-cockpit boats!

What I was saying is that the Marlow-Hunter has an abnormally small aft-cockpit which is NOT seaworthy.

Sorry Drek - but you need to get out and do some real live sailing on real live boats - not Destroyers - and you'll begin to understand what I'm talking about.

Also, include your wife. All these multiple Forum threads will not short-cut the amount of knowledge you **and your partner** will need to acquire. As she will be responsible for your life as much as you will be for her life, she needs to be fully onboard with your plan. The way it sounds is that she is expressly reluctant - not a good formula for success.

Here's one of the best Crusing Guides out there - specifically targeted for women:

The Cruising Women's Advisor
https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Woma...s%2C110&sr=8-1

The more I read your threads, the more I think a modest catamaran might be more appropriate for you **and your wife**. Here's a recent thread on excellent used cats:

If Some Discontinued Models Could Be Produced Again https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...in-263551.html

LW77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 05:19   #119
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
IN SEARCH OF AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopad00pa View Post

Sounds like boating in paradise to me

Just spent the whole of April on refurbs , new autopilot , glow plugs , new radio , led lights , varnishing , painting , cleaning , waiting for Amazon to deliver or the chandleries to get stuff , all refurbs stop may 1 , I go sailing ( it’s blowing F8 here right now)

Still , at 5:30 I’ll break out the port and standard cocktails ( Japanese slipper and Pink Lady )

Life ain’t bad , sh1t happens ,boats break , etc

Oh and the destination always seems to windward
Old 22-04-2022, 05:33   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I was *not* making a comparison between aft-cockpit versus centre-cockpit boats!

What I was saying is that the Marlow-Hunter has an abnormally small aft-cockpit which is NOT seaworthy.

Sorry Drek - but you need to get out and do some real live sailing on real live boats - not Destroyers - and you'll begin to understand what I'm talking about.

Also, include your wife. All these multiple Forum threads will not short-cut the amount of knowledge you **and your partner** will need to acquire. As she will be responsible for your life as much as you will be for her life, she needs to be fully onboard with your plan. The way it sounds is that she is expressly reluctant - not a good formula for success.

Here's one of the best Crusing Guides out there - specifically targeted for women:

The Cruising Women's Advisor
https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Woma...s%2C110&sr=8-1

The more I read your threads, the more I think a modest catamaran might be more appropriate for you **and your wife**. Here's a recent thread on excellent used cats:

If Some Discontinued Models Could Be Produced Again https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...in-263551.html

LW77
Thank you for your honest reply and links.

I do agree with some of what you wrote, but not all.
I do include my wife, with my research and information that I have found and read about.

I will not force upon her learning maintenance of a diesel engine, bilge pump, toilet, holding tank, etc. Some things she has no interest in and no desire to learn.

She has no desire to read for hours about sailing and forums similar to this one, I do agree that I have more interest than her on all that is the sailboat and what is required for it to work properly, she prefers to comply and assist and to use time available to pursue her own interests, she likes cooking, cleaning, internet, reading novels, etc.
She likes seeing everything sugar coated, she prefers to ignore what she dislikes and focus on what she does.

I know that I can always depend on her, she has never let me down.

I know that I have no desire of owning a Catamaran.

Tags
arc