Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 08:16   #1

Inboom reef line set up

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478535143.251120.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	135307

Any guide or instruction to install inboom reefline?
How these blocks in the picture setting with line?
Thank you in advance.!
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:13   #2

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: Inboom reef line set up

You might try the Catalina 32 owners group . My friend has a 96' 32 that he wants to replace the reef line on . It's a fairly involved job , but they explain it on the owners group site . Youtube maybe ?
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:33   #3

Thanks, will check out.
Did not see any in YouTube.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:48   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'll give this a try, though if you can post a few more pics it would help. Specifically, ones showing any & all blocks, sheaves, & exit plates, where lines can enter or exit the boom. Especially on the top of the boom at it's aft end.

Most likely the smaller blocks in the picture are for a cascade purchase system for your outhaul. So that it's pulling power can be doubled each time it goes through one of them. And by smaller, I'm referring to the Harken cheek blocks on the inside of the boom in the picture.

The sheaves which are barely visible in the pic, which are the aft most ones in the image, are probably the ones to be used with your reefing lines. And there should be a way to run lines into them from the top of the boom.

The reefing lines will start by being tied around the boom, run through the clew reefing cringles, then back down to the boom & through those sheaves. From there they'll go forward to up by the gooseneck, & either to a winch there, or through sheaves at the gooseneck, & down to the deck where there will be a set of blocks. They'll take a 90 deg turn through these blocks, & finally, run back to the cockpit. Where there will be a winch for them, along with a set of cleats or jammers.

One easy way to lead the lines is to remove the boom, stand it on end, & put a leader line through each sheave at the boom's aft end. Then running each leader down to the sheave at the gooseneck.

The other option is to work with the boom horizontally, & to use a piece of #10 awg wire to snake each line through the boom. Running each through it's set of sheaves, respectively. You'll need a piece of coat hanger wire or similar for fishing out the leader lines in some places.

Regardless of how you install each line in the boom, you'll want to have a reeving splice on it's end so that it's easy to pull through the boom & over/through every sheave. And they're something that you'll want on the end of each reefing line & halyard, as they let you install any line or halyard in 3 min. or less. So they're more than worth the 5 min. that it takes to add them to each line/halyard.

If you do a search under my user name & the words reefing, boom, or reeving splice, you'll come up with a lot more info on all of these topics. As I've posted on them almost daily, a good 5-7 times in the last week alone. So there should be sufficent info for you to sort this out via them, & the above instructions. But also take a look at the various system installation diagrams on Harken's website. Specifically, those on reefing lines, & outhauls. Starting here http://www.harken.com/systems/

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:24   #5

Thank you, Uncivilized, I do not have other pictures now. But, you gave me pretty good ideas. My main confusion is those blocks. So as you said, reef line just go from neck area to sheave at aft boom without using these blocks?
How about this if I want to use a reef hook, is there any part I can attach?
Here is the picture.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478546684.863083.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	135346
Old 07-11-2016, 11:48   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Get a reef hook. http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparPar...ooks.html#Rams Horn Reef Hooks

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:50   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
Thank you, Uncivilized, I do not have other pictures now. But, you gave me pretty good ideas. My main confusion is those blocks. So as you said, reef line just go from neck area to sheave at aft boom without using these blocks?
I'm not clear on what this question means, so could you kindly rephrase it.
How about this if I want to use a reef hook, is there any part I can attach?
Here is the picture.Attachment 135346
In this pic, there doesn't appear to be much to attach reefing hooks to. Besides, they suck. Cringles commonly slip off of them before you can retension the halyard, & they're sometimes prone to wearing holes in the sail.

Best bet would be to add a pair of stainless carabiners (snap hooks) on Spectra/Dyneema strops or pendants near the gooseneck. Which are in the proper location, & of the right length, so that when the halyard is retensioned after taking the reef, that the strops/hooks hold the tack cingles in the correct location so that the strops take all of the load.

Usually you'll have a set of stainless rings on short strops or lashings, in each tack reefing cringle. And you just attach the snap hooks to them when reefing. Either rings, or a properly sized Spectra strop through each cringle, where the strop has an eye splice on both of it's ends. And there's one double ended strop per cringle, so that it's easy to reach one of the eyes spliced into it from either side of the mast.

Most of this (and more) is described in some of the posts you'll find via the suggested searches.

Good luck!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:03   #8

Thanks!