Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 06:59   #1

Info On Morgan Out Island 44 and 51

I am new to sailing and am considering buying either a Morgan 44 or 51. I have read some horror stories about them with respect to water sailing">blue water sailing but some great reviews too. Any thoughts?
Wat-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
I would not choose any Out Island Morgan to ride out the ultimate storm offshore. I had a friend that sailed an OI 41 and reported serious flex in the hull/deck in rough weather. I captained an OI 36 for three years and delivered it to the VI a couple of times and had no problems in some moderately bad weather. No experience on the OI 51.

All depends on how "blue water" you want to go. Island hop through the Bahamas to the Windward Islands or cross the North Atlantic from NY to Ireland? I would be fine with a Morgan for the former (watch your weather), not the latter.

I think there may be some significant variation from year to year on the Morgans as well but do not have enough background to comment on that. I'll bet someone else on the forum could.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:25   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
First of all, there is no "Out Islander" there's an Islander and the Out Island that is a Morgan unless it's a newer "Classic" Out Island built by Catalina. The Morgan Out Islands were build as 28',33',36',41' & 51' (no 44'). I've lived aboard a 1973 Morgan Out Island since 1973 with coastal cruising from Maine to the Bahamas. I would not choose to ride out the ultimate storm offshore in any vessel!
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:02   #4

wat-4

Thanks...my apologies for the error. The 44' is a 1988 boat. I'd assumed that all center cockpits were Out Island models but see that you are correct. It is listed simply as a Morgan.
As I mentioned, I am very new to all of this. My older brother has a Morgan (not an Out Island) 33' or 34' boat which I have really enjoyed. I do not envision us doing anything more than what I think of as easy cruising around the Caribbean. My concern is that she is looking for comfort which the larger Morgans seem to have and I am pretty inexperienced. That and concerns about safety caused my inquiry.
Old 03-12-2008, 13:43   #5

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
well said CaptForce
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 16:44   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, no sane person would choose to ride out the ultimate storm on purpose. A Charlie Morgan, Out lsland 41 (or 36 or 51) is not one I would personally choose if I did happen to be in the ultimate storm. Then the list of boats that I would choose, if I happened to be in the ultimate storm, is pretty darn short.

Since Wat-4 asked about a blue water boat where there is the potential for severe weather (perhaps the terminology ulitmate storm was somewhat over the top but I do tend toward hyperbole) it would seem that addressing that issue would be appropriate.

That being said, I have a lot of respect for the OI series and would seriously consider for a liveaboard boat for the Caribbean.
Old 03-12-2008, 16:52   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
To get back to your original question, the Morgans were a reasonably well built comfortable boat excluding the Out Island. We have several friends that have cruised them extensively all over the world and are quite satisfied. Perhaps the horror stories you have heard are regarding the Out Island. They were specifically built for the Caribbean charter fleet and leave much to be desired. The standard Morgans have a good reputation. But any boat can have serious issues if they have not been maintained or cared for over the years. If your inexperience is lacking as much as you say, this is a pretty big boat to start with.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 18:44   #8

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Then the list of boats that I would choose, if I happened to be in the ultimate storm, is pretty darn short..

Yeah, me too. A nice nuclear submarine would be favorite.

Nice and quiet 60 fathoms down, I bet.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 18:49   #9

Boat: Morgan OI 414
Being an owner of a Morgan Out Island 41 for many years, my impression of them is a positive one. They are built stronger than any of the current mass produced production boats that are pretty to look at. I myself have seen some pretty violent storms offshore and have felt very secure and safe in it, I have never heard creeking or flexing of the hull. I can't speak for the Catalina models. They are very roomy and very comfortable live aboards.

If I was super rich, it would not be my boat of choice but it's what I can afford and she is all paid for. I almost purchased a much larger boat not long ago, but soon realized I couldn't afford it and decided my boat is sufficient for my needs. Now I am adding lots of goodies to it after almost a complete restoration. If you decide to get one, just make sure you can afford the repairs and the time to do it. They are good boats, but they may have some limitations. Another words, I am not going to sail mine around the world.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:30   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Wat-4, No appologies needed and no offense. My intent was just to spread info. As "inthewind" mentioned many of the newer boats have not been constructed with the hulls as thick and strong as those of earlier decades. Regarding flex, I would be suspect of a vessel that did not allow some flexibility. You may have noticed the typical attachment of bulkheads that are tabbed to the hull to allow for flex. Of course, the "oil canning" flex is high risk! As for Morgan OI's they are a compromise like all vessels, but they've been great for us and our seasonal cruising from Maine to the Carribean. We also carefully choose the weather and don't commit to deadlines. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:36   #11

I don't know for sure but I don't think the boat he is asking about is an Out Island but that seems to be what everyone is responding to. But I might be wrong. I was once.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 04-12-2008, 08:34   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
I don't know for sure but I don't think the boat he is asking about is an Out Island but that seems to be what everyone is responding to. But I might be wrong. I was once.
Well I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:07   #13

That was my exact problem. I thought I too was wrong but I wasn't, therefore I was wrong. How about that?

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 04-12-2008, 11:13   #14

It took awhile to find one, but:

1988 Morgan Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=

This boat may or may not be derived from the old O/I 41, but it is different in many respects. In my opinion the old O/I 41s were/are good, strong, heavy, roomy, slow boats with powerful engines that make excellent Bahamas/Caribbean cruisers - provided (like everything else) they are in Good Condition.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:30   #15

I appreciate all of the comments. This is a great spot! The site from Slomotion showing the 1988 Morgan appears to be the same type of boat.
Thanks to everyone again!

Tags
morgan, morgan out island