Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2021, 16:42   #1

Boat: Sailboat 51'
Information Needed Skye 51 History

I'm not a frequent poster but I do get the chance read the forums a few times a week.

I've recently purchased a new to me semi fixer upper Skye 51 down here in Mexico. Unfortunately searching the internet has not been very helpful in finding out more information about my new boat.

The basics I know are that it is a Kaufman and Ladd designed boat commissioned by Alden Marine, (or so I've been told). According to my USCG Doc's she was built in Kaohsiung Taiwan

She was sailed down to Mexico with the Ha Ha in 2010 and has been here ever since. I hoping some of the people on the forum might be able to help me understand her history. I know she was in San Diego for awhile before being sailed down to Mexico and that the P.O. used to recreation race her some. Unfortunately the P.O. passed away a couple of years ago so getting information from him is not possible.

When she was in San Diego she was called "At Last". I am just hoping someone on this forum might be able to provide more information about the boat, it's history or more information on Skye 51's. I think mine is one of the last ones built, I think the production run was from 1980 - 1986, and she was built in 1986. She is cutter rigged and a very beautiful boat. I already get complements about her and I've just started the upgrading process.

I really appreciate any information any of you can provide.

Thanks,
Ken
Skye 51 - Azul
Kenatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 18:15   #2

Re: Information Needed Skye 51 History

Shameless bump to bring this question back to the forum of knowledge.
Old 21-01-2021, 18:35   #3

They're beautiful boats, hopefully someone knows the history of this boat here on the forum.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 18:39   #4

Thanks Joli, I'm hoping so as well.
Old 21-01-2021, 19:44   #5

The Skye 51 was designed by Kaufman & Ladd of Annapolis under commission from Alden Yachts (which was founded by legendary designer John Alden). The company then supervised the construction by Mao Tao in Taiwan. 18 were supposedly built.

Just about everything associated with Alden is a treasure.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 19:58   #6

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

the name doesnt ring a bell, but i raced on a sky 51 in SD and area G back in the early 2ks. the owner, marcus i think, was a bit of a character. the boat was quite lovely and very well kitted-out for racing. im remembering a bishop rock race when we beat the swan56 with DC on board. also sailed on one (ketch rigged) in PNW that was planning a vic-maui, not sure if they ever made the start...

just reminiscing, i cant say for sure it was your boat, but its rare enough that i wouldnt think there could have been two in SD at the same time. i remember it as a solid, comfortable performance-cruiser for its day. a beautiful boat to be sure, congrats and i hope someone can fill in the details for you.
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 20:30   #7

Boat: Outremer 50S

It seems the molds had somewhat of a checkered career - not too infrequent in the heyday of Taiwanese yachts. The same boat was apparently also sold as the Oceanic 51 and the Mao Ta 51. The mold was sold at some point (late ‘80s/early 90s) to G D & L Yachts of Marina del Rey who modified them a bit and sold them as the Finya 51 (or 53 or 54) - still built at Mao Ta, maybe 5 or so in total.

The December 2010 issue of Latitude 38 has a brief mention that says your boat blew out her main and ripped the vang off the mast coming off a wave in the 2010 Baja Ha-Ha.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 04:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
The Skye 51 was designed by Kaufman & Ladd of Annapolis under commission from Alden Yachts (which was founded by legendary designer John Alden). The company then supervised the construction by Mao Tao in Taiwan. 18 were supposedly built.

Just about everything associated with Alden is a treasure.
Thanks Carl,
Old 22-01-2021, 04:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwilk37 View Post
the name doesnt ring a bell, but i raced on a sky 51 in SD and area G back in the early 2ks. the owner, marcus i think, was a bit of a character. the boat was quite lovely and very well kitted-out for racing. im remembering a bishop rock race when we beat the swan56 with DC on board. also sailed on one (ketch rigged) in PNW that was planning a vic-maui, not sure if they ever made the start...

just reminiscing, i cant say for sure it was your boat, but its rare enough that i wouldnt think there could have been two in SD at the same time. i remember it as a solid, comfortable performance-cruiser for its day. a beautiful boat to be sure, congrats and i hope someone can fill in the details for you.
The P.O. for mine was a guy named Scott. If it's the same boat then perhaps he acquired it from Marcus.

Speaking of kitted-out, I think most of the gear is still on here. I have been and will continue to complete quite a few upgrades.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 22-01-2021, 04:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
It seems the molds had somewhat of a checkered career - not too infrequent in the heyday of Taiwanese yachts. The same boat was apparently also sold as the Oceanic 51 and the Mao Ta 51. The mold was sold at some point (late ‘80s/early 90s) to G D & L Yachts of Marina del Rey who modified them a bit and sold them as the Finya 51 (or 53 or 54) - still built at Mao Ta, maybe 5 or so in total.

The December 2010 issue of Latitude 38 has a brief mention that says your boat blew out her main and ripped the vang off the mast coming off a wave in the 2010 Baja Ha-Ha.
Thanks for the leads to follow up on. I'll check out the Latitude 38 article as well.

Alaskan thanks!
Ken

Tags
history