Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: what would you do? to ferro or not to ferro, that is the question
if theres insurance and a solid survey, pour the rum were goin sailing 2 10.00%
if theres insurance and an ok survey, why not? would make a cheap liveaboard 1 5.00%
need more information 2 10.00%
put the bong down 30 minutes before getting on the internet, no way maaaan 15 75.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2022, 12:28   #16
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Ingrid 38

i see why you would be taken by the woodwork .. amazing. be careful out there in ferro land.
Old 19-02-2022, 14:42   #17

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

I'll reiterate what I said in an earlier post.
Should you get that boat you'll probably have to rearrange the backstays.
Copy the Alajuela arrangement/placement, it works.
Just looking at the pic shows a "bottomed out" tiller against the starboard backstay, with nowhere near full rudder travel.
Do those quite tall cockpit coamings have side-drains at deck level?
A couple of drains in the footwell isn't going to prevent a lot of water going thru the companionway in the event of a wave on board.
Bowdrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 21:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
I'll reiterate what I said in an earlier post.
Should you get that boat you'll probably have to rearrange the backstays.
Copy the Alajuela arrangement/placement, it works.
Just looking at the pic shows a "bottomed out" tiller against the starboard backstay, with nowhere near full rudder travel.
Do those quite tall cockpit coamings have side-drains at deck level?
A couple of drains in the footwell isn't going to prevent a lot of water going thru the companionway in the event of a wave on board.
Yes self draining cockpit, but more needed for offshore work.

Yes back stays will need to be re-engineered, rudder has some pretty munted travel. The entire rudder needs to be remounted, it’s not on square. Easy fix for a boat guy like myself….

My real question is that why would a boat be built especially something as stout as an Ingrid 38, and have things intentionally set up mildly incorrect. Was that something the builder did intentionally so he isn’t liable for what the buyer does with the boat?? Kind of like selling a hot rod to a kid who you know can’t handle the car so you take a few things apart so the guy doesn’t kill himself unless he has the brains to understand the engineering?

For what it’s worth, I’m not some dreamer thinking I found Jason’s Golden Fleece, I’m approaching this logically and realistically. this boat is the definition of a bargain…

I’ve completed 10 seasons commercial fishing in Alaska including 4 months on the Bering Sea from January into April if you include the return trip to Seattle from Dutch harbor. I’ve been off shore, I’ve made some damned good money off shore (spent it ashore) but nevertheless I recognize the limitations of this boat and perhaps it’s not a good off shore long haul cruising boat, but for my needs, gunkholing around Washington, British Columbia, and Southeast Alaska, in what generally speaking could be considered “protected waters” it might make for a very comfortable floating sailing RV. Not trying to make myself sound like Ragnar Lothbrook, or Magellan (**** Columbus btw), just, for the short term potential, I see this as a great opportunity to have an “awesome” boat, even if it’s just to be the “dude with the cool sailboat”

Ask yourselves this…. If you couldn’t otherwise afford a blue water boat (as a design style), and had your first opportunity to own a “big boat” (currently have a Catalina 27) for screwing around with friends on the weekends and maybe a few week long trips a year, and this came on your radar, WWJD??

I’m 33. No commitments, amazing girlfriend that can’t get pregnant, everything is paid for in cash, we don’t use credit and I own land outright.

For a short term (less than 10 years) boat, with the emphasis being on fun and casual use, perhaps this is an amazing opportunity

I F

If If if if

Survey comes back solid
Chinook92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 21:43   #19

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook92 View Post
Yes back stays will need to be re-engineered, rudder has some pretty munted travel. The entire rudder needs to be remounted, it’s not on square. Easy fix for a boat guy like myself….

My real question is that why would a boat be built especially something as stout as an Ingrid 38, and have things intentionally set up mildly incorrect. Was that something the builder did intentionally

I recognize the limitations of this boat and perhaps it’s not a good off shore long haul cruising boat
Yeah, I know you'll be able to do whatever is needed without hesitation.
On the backstays, perhaps the builder just thought that: "The farther back they are the less load on them". Which is true.
It was probably just "innocent thinking" without realizing the ramifications of rudder travel.
I wouldn't worry too much about offshore use. William Atkin had a winner with the "Ingrid", and over a period of ~85 years that design has proved itself as above and beyond the demands of the sea.
Many are those who would castigate the "Double ended crab crusher", but a study of the lines drawings will show little comparison between an Ingrid and an obese Tiawan double ender.
The Ingrid is a much more svelte hull, even in comparison to a Westsail 32.
Bowdrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 22:22   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I too remember the enthusiasm of ferro in my youth; my brother really wanted to build one. Then a few years ago I saw one in the local yard, a good looking boat, beautiful rig and interior, with all the bells and whistles but a hull that was disintegrating under all that nice hardware and furnishings. There was no hope of repair. I know there are some here who hate to hear the horror stories and will say that ferro can still be great.. could be, but that boat left a definite impression on me. Be sure the surveyor knows ferro boats.

But, good Lord, someone did a beautiful job on that interior. I think the idea of it being a guest cottage is a good one if the survey comes back poor.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 22:54   #21

I’ve never hear the term “crab crusher” interference to a yacht… I’ve killed millions pounds of crab commercially however never heard the term in reference to yachts

Could someone elaborate?
Old 19-02-2022, 22:58   #22

I mean… I do own land… free and clear… diggin a hole and making a “marina in the forest” is still a reality, but I’d rather log some
Miles under me keel
Old 19-02-2022, 23:32   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

g'day again Chinook,

"Crab crusher" was a sobriquet coined by Lee Helm, a fictional character in a decades long series of articles in Latitude 38, a San Francisco area sailing mag. She is a modernist naval architect grad student in the articles, kinda cheeky and not a fan of heavy displacement boats... and those are the craft to which the term is applied. I meant no harm in using it. I too am not a fan of such boats, but understand the appeal to some, and as I said, the Ingrid is one of the best of the lot. Really nice underwater lines and a big enough rig to sail fairly well.

And again I say that if the plastering was done as well as the fit out, she could be a real jewel.

Jim
Old 19-02-2022, 23:57   #24

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

I think there are a few of the Ingrids around BC. Used to be one that parked next to our floating home when I lived in Vancouver, and it always seemed to be surrounded by appreciative oglers. It would definitely check the ‘cool guy with sailboat’ box, and I expect would be pretty easy to sell to the next sucker

It’s going to be impossible to un-remember that ‘crab crusher’ description of my boat now…
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 00:39   #25

Boat: Volkscruiser

Chinook92 “dude with the cool sailboat” maaate its not 1960 anymore, lots of my clients if they even noticed your boat they would not be saying that. But then judging by the love fest you have going I am obviously hanging out with the wrong crowd.
Anyway why not just do yourself a favour a buy a fiberglass version that still has that Chippendale finish and a decent Yanmar diesel engine? At least a fiberglass sailboat will still have some resale value when you want to sell her again.
I have included a picture what I think is a cool sailboat.
We have a Colin Archer in our marina and I have never ever heard anyone call her a cool boat.
Cheers
https://www.grayandgrayyachts.com/bo...maine-8018577/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cool Hugo.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	253248  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 02:56   #26

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post

But it's a cement boat with all the failings of an inadequate hull material.

The Mulberry Harbour sections used in WW2 after D Day are still around and in one piece. Without ANY maintenance at all, just a dedicated policy of neglect.

They are of Concrete construction.

Ferro Cement is a long proven construction material used in the Marine enviorment.

Our boat will be hauled in April. The yard we use is next door to a Company that makes Pontoon floats for docks. Been making them for years. Most Marina's and Harbour facilities on the UK's South Coast use their products as they are cheap and reliable.

They are Ferro Cement floats.

We keep a boat in Wellington NZ too. One of our friends and fellow club members lives aboard a Ferro yacht.

He has absolutely no issues with it.

He is a Marine Professional and knows his stuff, running the Evans Bay Boatyard facility.

If you have never sailed or owned a Ferro Yacht, I offer the following truism :-

' True Knowlege is the Product of Direct Experience'
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 05:20   #27

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Very nice looking boat. If you have insurance lined up, that's quite impressive!!!

I only say this as I'm currently shopping my insurance renewal and for the first time I've noticed almost every underwriter I've looked at in their list of requirements (I'm having a bit of an issue with the age of my boat as a lot of insurers don't seem to want to touch anything before 1992) Specifically state NO FERRO!!!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 16:55   #28

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

An Ingrid built in wood, won an early 50s Sydney to Hobart yacht race,so maybe not so slow,Robin Knoxjohnsons yacht was a smaller version called an Eric ,these yachts carried a large rig ,if in dought about ferro ,dry it out and epoxy glass sheave it at least under water ,⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 18:43   #29

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

But can it tow a wanker in designer clothes fast enough to jump over a shark? I think not.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:54   #30

Boat: Cal 29 mk2

Interesting to hear about the Romans!
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote