Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2004, 09:40   #1

Boat: Vagabond Voyager CC 47' ketch - s/y Alliance
Input on Vagabond 47s

We're looking for the next boat (me and the mrs.). Been ashore and out of touch for too many years, and would appreciate any insight you salts might have as we go through the search and selection process. We're going to be coastal cruising SoCal and pushing up, down, and west as wife's vacation time allows for the next few years while we get ourselves and the boat ready for Mexico and Central America cruising. Looking for seaworthy, heavy displacement PH or Center Cockpit with a good rig, diesel, and accomodations that will serve as home for years to come. We're looking at all of the Vagabond 47s that are on the market and wonder if that's a good or bad sign - motor hours indicate likely time for overhaul, etc. We've learned some about the pecking order of the Taiwanese builders, it seems the Vagabonds might fit at the top of the lower half of the class. We've monitored the forums, and know there's a seachest of experience and opinions out there - let 'er rip! Thanks, Lance
Old 22-08-2004, 17:27   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Vagabonds

Hi - Your placement of the builder is about right - which means the boats generally were fair, but certainly not very good. I've not been aboard a 47, but have seen them. Salty looking, lots of teak (read high maintenance) - heavy & comfortable, but not especially good sailers except off the wind. Make sure the engine is good - you'll use it a LOT with one of these babies.
I've heard leaks are a problem, and detail work was not very good.
Hire a really good surveyor, let him do his thing thoroughly, and abide by his findings.
If you're looking for a great boat at a good price, check out CSY 44's - we love ours! See her at www.lanostra.net.
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 22:07   #3

Boat: Vagabond 42
Send a message via AIM to capfrank Send a message via Yahoo to capfrank
Vagabond vs CSY

Harry,
I tend to disagree 100% with your assesment of Vagabonds and CSY's. I have been aboard a CSY 44 walk over, and I own a 1986 Vagabond 42. I have no leaks, and she is twice the boat a CSY is, of which I was interested in, untill I inspected her. Just my humble opinion
Goddess of the Sea Cruises
Sailing Adventures in Maine
www.goddesscruise.com
capfrank@goddesscruise.com
capfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 15:28   #4
JW

Vagabond 47

My wife and I have lived aboard a 1981 Vagabond 47 for the past 3 years. We have sailed the East Coast and Florida Gulf coast and taken a number of week long cruises in NE.

Our experience has been very favorable and I would make the same choice again for our purpose (live aboard and eventually blue water cruising). We have found that she is a stable, solid boat that is sea kindly. We have been in 30-35 knot winds with 8 foot seas and found that she handled it very well. We like the ketch rig, especially for two handed sailing. She sails well on a beam reach and anything down wind. With a full keel and ketch rigged, she doesn't point well of course. The previous owners of our boat took good care of her. No deck leaks. It's a heavy boat and you get the usual trade offs. It's slow. We averaged 5-6 knots coming up the East Coast. We like the finish work on our boat. You have to like teak. We haven't found the maintenance overwhelming, although living aboard makes some of that work easier. The previous owner had sanded and rebunged/rescrewed (as necessary) the deck just prior to our purchase. Since then we have just kept the teak clean and it looks good. We get numerous compliments with people sailing over just to take a look. The biggest challenge has been close quarter handling under power. Alot of prop walk in reverse. Overall we love our Vagabond. If my wife had to choose between me and the boat, I'm not sure how she'd go!

JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 20:37   #5

I have a very close friend who lived aboard a Vagabond 47 for 18 years with his wife - they sailed everywhere and he loved the boat.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 14:09   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Re: Input on Vagabond 47s

have a loook here
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 06:00   #7

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Input on Vagabond 47s

Lazarus??? Is that you. Thought you were dead 9 years ago!!

(We all get caught... check the date of the post) :-)
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote