Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2017, 09:06   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Installed new rigging, keep old?

I asked a very similar question a while back about sails, and in that situation I decided to keep the old sails as back-ups. Now I have the same question about rigging.

I'm replacing my swaged shrouds with sta-lok terminated shrouds. I recently learned that the old rigging is only 6 years old, and aside from rust at the top of the swages, doesn't show any worrying signs. I'm not sure it makes sense to keep the whole set onboard, but I could be persuaded into keeping 1 or 2 lowers, and 1 cap as a back up. Though if I lost a cap, it's probably game over.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 11:46   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Installed new rigging, keep old?

Save and store your longest wire to use if need be--you can always cut it to size with your hacksaw.

You might consider using the old lowers for your jack lines. You will still have to work out attachment points, but if you run them alongside the house, and tight, they are sorta out of the way, and way overkill for the strength.

It always seems good to recycle useful *stuff*.

Ann
Old 25-12-2017, 13:44   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

If, 'frinstance, you get a few broken wires in a cap shroud, or any other shroud, you can always cut off the offending end and re-use it with the help of something like this https://www.stalok.com/product/sta-lok-long-stud.

I used something similar last year when one of my 3 year old lowers had a few broken strands where it went into a swage...

It was a bit more than just putting in an 'extender' as can be seen in the pics....but you get the idea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA200645 (2).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	160997   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA250673 (2).jpg
Views:	254
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	160998  

Old 25-12-2017, 14:20   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

That StaLoc is a great idea. I can we add a few to my spares list. We have Norseman now.

On our small boat I changed all standing rigging, was and is staloc. I keep a few longest pieces in chain locker coiled up. The rest is in basement. I made some fancy window guards out of some.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 16:50   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

That looks like a Hayn hi-mod and extender in pic. Hayn the only one making an actual generic extender that fits all their different fittings
Old 25-12-2017, 16:53   #6

Is Petersen Rigging, UK, Compression Fittings - Petersen Stainless Rigging Limited
Old 25-12-2017, 17:59   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Yes, I'd forgotten Hayn markets them in us and implies they also manufacture. Now remember Peterson is maker. Been some time since I've dealt in many as the Sta Lok is better priced better variety of fittings.
Cheers
Old 25-12-2017, 20:38   #8

All my other stuff is Stalok but these were part of a conversion from swaged T-balls to a Tang setup put together and sold by the Rig Shop in Southampton. The Rig Shop Yacht Riggers | Industrial, Architectural & Composite Rigging | Masts & Spars | Southampton

Nothing like have rigging from assorted manufacturers
Old 25-12-2017, 21:42   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Yours is a small boat. Storage space and keeping weight down is going to be really important if you want the thing to sail reasonably. Dump the old rigging and get a piece of dyneema that can be spliced to any stay length as a repair. Light and easy to store, plus it can have other repair uses. See Colligo Marine® for splicing directions and fittings.
Old 25-12-2017, 22:06   #10

I kept one long wire and a fitting replaceable at sea.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 22:17   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Yours is a small boat. Storage space and keeping weight down is going to be really important if you want the thing to sail reasonably. Dump the old rigging and get a piece of dyneema that can be spliced to any stay length as a repair. Light and easy to store, plus it can have other repair uses. See Colligo Marine® for splicing directions and fittings.
Agreed! I've known a few folks who kept old rigging (myself included, sadly), but never have heard of any one actually using it for repairs at sea. The Dyneema has a much better chance of being useful, and weighs nothing to speak of and can be stuffed into a shoebox.

IMO, if you start out with newish rigging you will not suffer from broken wire for quite a long time and lots of miles. so, don't waste precious storage space and weight.

Jim
Old 25-12-2017, 23:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Agreed! I've known a few folks who kept old rigging (myself included, sadly), but never have heard of any one actually using it for repairs at sea. The Dyneema has a much better chance of being useful, and weighs nothing to speak of and can be stuffed into a shoebox.

IMO, if you start out with newish rigging you will not suffer from broken wire for quite a long time and lots of miles. so, don't waste precious storage space and weight.

Jim
Hmmmmm..... the lowers I had an issue with were 3 yo and only had 12,000 miles on them...

If I had needed new wire the nearest source would have been at least 5000 miles away... as it was the 'tang kit' had to be 'couriered' out from the UK by a chum....

Sure... you can't replace it at sea and should have the kit to sort that eventuality but its also nice to have the ability to do a proper fix in the next port.

Its a small yacht... the wire would also be short and small diam ... 30 foot of 6mm?

I would keep a bit of the old stuff....
Old 26-12-2017, 01:28   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Hmmmmm..... the lowers I had an issue with were 3 yo and only had 12,000 miles on them...

If I had needed new wire the nearest source would have been at least 5000 miles away... as it was the 'tang kit' had to be 'couriered' out from the UK by a chum....

Sure... you can't replace it at sea and should have the kit to sort that eventuality but its also nice to have the ability to do a proper fix in the next port.

Its a small yacht... the wire would also be short and small diam ... 30 foot of 6mm?

I would keep a bit of the old stuff....
Hmm... after some mature reflection (what us old guys say when our memory finally kicks in) I do recall one example of re-use of old rigging:

When we re-rigged Insatiable I before setting out in 1986, I kept the old lower shrouds and used them for jack lines. A couple of years later, en route from Bora Bora we had the baby stay fail at sea... the only bit of wire I hadn't replaced in the re-rig (different size wire from all the rest). I was able to go aloft, remove the upper part of that stay and replace it with one of the old lowers. 'Twas about a meter too short, so some lashing was used to hold everything together, and it lasted to Hawaii, working ok to stop the mast pumping. BTW, that was not a fun trip up the mast! Far better if I had done the job right in the first place...

BUT, if I had had some Dyneema, it would have been a better and easier fix, but this was long before the advent of that wonderful stuff.

Jim
Old 27-12-2017, 07:40   #14

Boat: Westsail 32

Using them as lifelines or as jacklines is a good idea. I'm also installing a solent stay, and could use one of the cap shrouds for that purpose, but I don't have any extra swageless terminals on-hand to terminate the stay with, and I think it would be too long as-is.

I carry lengths of dyneema for this purpose, and I agree that this is probably a better to have than the old rigging.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 08:42   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the old rigging will and does not weigh enough to make a difference in boat handling. does it weigh 1000 pounds? no. save it. you may need it. rig fail happens.
store it low and dry.
there is a tale about the rig fail in dry tortugas we experienced, there is a friend rig fail in mid pacific., and many more.....
if you have more dollars than you need, purchase dyneema, by all means. i keep old rig..i use for dinghy cables , bike lock cables.. it has many uses.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging