Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2023, 08:45   #1

Installing Deck Hardware

I want to install some pad eyes in my deck (plywood core). I’ve read a lot about how to drill and countersink the hole from the topside to prevent cracking. But what about the inside? It seems that even a small pilot hole chips the surface when it comes through. Is there anything I can do to minimize that. Thanks.
kdeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:10   #2

Re: Installing Deck Hardware

Just go through in a controlled manner, dont let the bit pull you through. I wouldn't worry much about the inside. Use a backing plate or thick fender washers on the inside.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 12:13   #3

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

I think this usually isn’t an issue for people because any chips are generally smaller than the washers or backing plates.

If it is a problem, I would guess the best bet is to start with a small pilot hole, making a point to reduce pressure when you are close to breaking through. Then drill out the hole from the top and bottom separately, starting with the drill in reverse (bit going the wrong way) until you are through the finish.
wyb2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 15:40   #4

Boat: C&C 33 Mk1

Good advice here, also put some blue tape over the area inside and it helps prevent chipping as well.
Traveler7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 16:24   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

The other thing to remember is to drill an oversize hole, fill it with epoxygoop so that the core won't get wet from any water finding its way under the fitting, and then re-drill the correct size for the fastener through the solid epoxy filler.
P.S. don't forget the bedding material too.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, hardware