Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 05:59   #1

Boat: Pearson 530 53'
Insurance

We purchased our Pearson 53 5/2012 and selected Boat U S. After the company was purchased by Geico which is owned by Warren Buffett, my rate has increased by 51%. Presently, I am getting quotes from edwardwilliam and Caribbean Insurance BVI. Anyone hav experience with either of these companies?
cantamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 17:51   #2

Boat: Northwind 43 DS
Re: Insurance

Yikes! Just started looking for insurance for my next boat. I had Boat/US insurance 10 years ago and thought the rates were good. GEICO is expensive for auto and I imagine they are even worse for boat coverage. Canceling my quote request. Thanks for the info and good luck on your search.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
RoyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyL View Post
Yikes! Just started looking for insurance for my next boat. I had Boat/US insurance 10 years ago and thought the rates were good. GEICO is expensive for auto and I imagine they are even worse for boat coverage. Canceling my quote request. Thanks for the info and good luck on your search.

They were not even replying my quote request.
No wonder Burgar King is getting expensive since Mr. Buffet took over.

BTW, should I change to "Sea-tow"?
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 11:23   #4

Congratulations on the the purchase of you Pearson 530. I purchased one in October of 2015. Her name is Bella Vita. I bought her in Oahu. I just sailed her home to San Diego. Had a fantastic trip. 18 days. First 4 days was beating into 16 to 18 ft seas with a steady 26 knots. She handled like a dream. There were only 2 of us. And it was the most comfortable crossing I have had in any boat. Our best day was 214 miles a few 180 days. I would love to talk to you about your boat. Where are you located?

Sutcoinc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 11:25   #5

Also I am curious about how much your quotes were for insurance. I did get offshore insurance to cover my trip. So my insurance went from 1687.00 for the year to 2453.00 for the year.

Sutcoinc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 13:29   #6

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

cantamar; We have used Caribbean Insurers Marine, Ltd. (CIML) in Road Town for the last 15+ years and they have been great. Jera Cameron is our senior agent and just recently helped use with a very minor claim, which escalated when the claimant tried to get his entire boat repainted for a hull scratch. Good people to work with.

George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 17:44   #7

Boat: Pearson 530 53'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutcoinc53 View Post
Congratulations on the the purchase of you Pearson 530. I purchased one in October of 2015. Her name is Bella Vita. I bought her in Oahu. I just sailed her home to San Diego. Had a fantastic trip. 18 days. First 4 days was beating into 16 to 18 ft seas with a steady 26 knots. She handled like a dream. There were only 2 of us. And it was the most comfortable crossing I have had in any boat. Our best day was 214 miles a few 180 days. I would love to talk to you about your boat. Where are you located?

Fantastic....great sail. We purchased Cantamar V in Kemah, Tx 5/12. After spending the summer readying the boat for passage to the Virgin Islands. We were struck by lightning the second day out 100 miles south of New Orleans. We were towed eventually to New Orleans spending a month in a yard for total replacement of all electronics.

A couple of stops in FL visiting family and friends we set sail for St Thomas Arriving in December. It was a difficult passage with big waves and headwinds making stops in Cuba and the DR.

Cantamar is hull number 28 of the 30 530's produced. I have been in contact with 5 of these and am trying to track down as many as I can.

We have a mooring in St Thomas, our home port. This year we spent 2 months down island visiting St Martin, St Barth, Antigua, and Montserrat. The first three were attending race into regattas.

We just arrived in FL after putting Cantamar on the hard in Virgin Gorda, BVIfor hurricane season.

More later.

Tom
cantamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 18:53   #8

Boat: 50 Bene

Check out Markel....we have used them for several years and found them to very affordable. 2k a year 5k deductible unless we get got in a hurricane etc then the deductible is 10k 256k agreed value blah blah some restrictions on movement during hurricane season but not not untenable
Old 02-07-2016, 11:20   #9

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I have Wallace Welch and Willingham which uses Geico and my rate was great.... quit hatin' on Mr. Buffett!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance

« C&C 27 Mk V | Signs »