Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2021, 09:53   #1

Unhappy Insurance troubles

I made a claim last year when I got beached in Atlantic City. My boat is a 1981 Hughes 38 foot sloop, which is on the hard at my boating club this winter. This was the only claim since I started sailing Links Lady in 2014. The rudder had to be replaced, along with the forward/reverse shift cable. I did the labor and also reconditioned the diesel myself to save cost. After repairs, I sailed to the Bahamas and returned to Nova Scotia last June.
When renewal with Skippers Plan came up, I was refused coverage. I have tried to get just public liability and property damage at the broker in Toronto and also at a broker in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, they say the underwriters refuse. Could it be that I have been blacklisted? I have a RYA Coastal Skipper license as well as an American ASA license. Strange that I can't get PL & PD, which is so low risk.
Anyone know of an insurer to try? I need this to be able to rent a dock in most places.
sailorlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:23   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Insurance troubles

I use Fairway Insurance based out of Digby, NS. I haven't gone through a claim with them, but they've been pretty good so far.

https://fairway.ca/boat-%26-yacht
Old 04-02-2021, 10:33   #3

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorlink View Post
I made a claim last year when I got beached in Atlantic City. My boat is a 1981 Hughes 38 foot sloop, which is on the hard at my boating club this winter. This was the only claim since I started sailing Links Lady in 2014. The rudder had to be replaced, along with the forward/reverse shift cable. I did the labor and also reconditioned the diesel myself to save cost. After repairs, I sailed to the Bahamas and returned to Nova Scotia last June.
When renewal with Skippers Plan came up, I was refused coverage. I have tried to get just public liability and property damage at the broker in Toronto and also at a broker in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, they say the underwriters refuse. Could it be that I have been blacklisted? I have a RYA Coastal Skipper license as well as an American ASA license. Strange that I can't get PL & PD, which is so low risk.
Anyone know of an insurer to try? I need this to be able to rent a dock in most places.
Before applying anew, I suggest that you press your broker and get them to provide you the reason(s) that coverage was declined. Once you have an understanding of the underwriting criteria that got you declined you are in a better position to determine whether it is something you can address before filing more applications. Most applications ask if you have ever been denied coverage. If you answer that honestly you should also be able to provide support for you having addressed/remedied whatever the issue(s) was, to have a chance of getting coverage. As I am sure you are aware, if you answer it dishonestly you imperil your coverage as material misrepresentation in an application will void coverage.

Good luck. ~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 13:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I use Fairway Insurance based out of Digby, NS. I haven't gone through a claim with them, but they've been pretty good so far.

https://fairway.ca/boat-%26-yacht
Thanks Mike, I called them in Digby. They are looking into my problem, and are going to call back.
sailorlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 14:59   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorlink View Post
Thanks Mike, I called them in Digby. They are looking into my problem, and are going to call back.
Glad to help. Hope it works out .

Tags
insurance