Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2018, 20:04   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Irma survivor.. yay or nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Contrail, I'll tell u a fun story. After reading Uncle StinkyBobs post I was scratching where my hair used to grow. What was he reading versus what I had read? It was a complete disconnect.

We on CF appreciate front line people who are in the impacted area to give their insights, knowledge of impacted areas, and time to educate and inform. How a forum member can so badly misunderstand what was written....????....

So, I began to debate what he said versus what u said. I pretty much wrote a lot of what u wrote. In my iPhone it took me easily 20 minutes. Making sure I checked my math with boat numbers and percentages. In the middle of this my wife calls me. I lost everything. Bummer.

I hope forum members can appreciate professional front line people who contribute balanced and unbiased information to those of us who want to know the skinny. To make disparaging remarks at these contributors is not only unwarranted but really counter productive. When facts are clearly stated by a poster and then completely misunderstood is one thing. But to accuse someone of fuZZy math and strange extrapolations when he clearly states he is only speaking for BVI and the losses there. That he was hired by the gov't to access damages speaks volumes to me that he is respected for his job knowledge.

As a further note.... when we debate something on the forum can we leave out the anger or the need to demean another person? We have lost some very good people over the two years I have been here due to nasty comments and atracks in people's reputations. If it were me running this 'yar ship... u'd be keelhauled for sure.
Thanks for your kind words. But, in the interest of accuracy and full disclosure, we were not "hired" by the Government, but simply asked to help out with this project. Some of us, who, over the years, have served in volunteer positions on various industry committees, tend to get asked to help out with this sort of thing, probably for no other reason than we are not adverse to doing the dirty work and supporting our industry and the BVI. In this case, I had the additional motivation of my own curiosity.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 08:18   #17

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58
Re: Irma survivor.. yay or nay?

I don't think being a hurricane survivor is really as issue considering it was just an anemometer and a solar panel. the lightning strike on the other hand does concern me. if it was enough to fry even some of the electronics I would consider all of the wiring and other electronics on the boat suspect. same with the batteries, you just never know when it comes to a lighting strike.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote