Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2017, 10:57   #16

Boat: Chrysler 26, swing keel
Re: Update

Well, after a LOT more research, we're definitely looking at either an Irwin 37 MK V or a 38 (not sure which MK).

Anyone in the Southern California area (Long Beach to Ventura), have either of these boats we might be able to take a look at (take photos/video/measurements? We're "planning" to go down to look at Irwin boats between Christmas and new years.

Thanks!
Richard & Tresa
Jarel Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 13:16   #17

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18
Re: Irwin 37/38 CC Questions/Advice

we bought an 1984 41' cc last year with leaking chain plates, I sealed them all up but out of curiosity I had to cut one out and inspect it. the SS looked new, great condition. so I glassed her back in and replaced the interior panel. Yes it was a huge job I would not like to do all 6.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	st3.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	157905   Click image for larger version

Name:	stbd cp.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	157906  

Click image for larger version

Name:	stbdchainplate.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	157907  
fishsail18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 14:53   #18

Thanks Fishsail.
By any chance are you a member of the Irwin Facebook group? I seem to think I saw those photos there (I've been reading like CRAZY! ).

I also saw a few people (with photos and measurements), that made stainless plates designed to be fastened on the outside of the hull. We're fine with that "look" (especially if we end up with a 38), and I'm thinking that doing that would actually save a lot of work (grinding out the old glass, inspecting and glassing. I'd think to be certain, all of them would have to be inspected... A few could be fine but it will be that "last one" that I chose not to inspect that will probably "get me" LOL!)? Basically a "pre-emptive" (for the sake of peace of mind), approach before there's any failure while sailing. I can (and should), seal the originals.

We're still haven't decided between the 37 (encapsulated keel) and the 38 (bolt on winged keel). (We're both in LOVE with the 38 aft cabin on the MK III (MK V?). The 37 and 38 both can have a centerboard (which we have now on our C26), but even then, board up is still the 4' draft (Ours now is 2' 3" up and 6' 2" down and is a substantial percentage of the ballast. We love being able to raise and lower, but I'm always concerned about the keel pin. The Irwin Center board is not so much ballast, rather an attempt to help sail to windward, which I understand, doesn't add that much more for the price of worrying about it failing and added maintenance.

Price is also a major consideration. The 38 averages about twice the asking prices for the 37... Never thought I'd put this much effort into researching and trying to decide about the options... LOL! LOL!

We're still hoping to find both in Los Angeles to check out in person this coming Christmas.

Thanks for sharing your photos. From what I understand, the glass work is not as bad as getting to them through the cabinets and wood paneling?

Best,
Richard
Old 18-10-2017, 05:58   #19

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18

Yes I did post those on the Irwin site. Someone told me to drill a small hole at the base of the fiberglass tabbing to see if water came out? if it was clear fresh water I'd probably be ok. if it's brown gooey water I might have an issue. Mine was clear fresh water so that's why I'm not too concerned about the others. One concern was rot, they use a lot of plywood in the construction. I have not found any rot in any of the wood on our boat and I have been all thru it. Mybe we were lucky but ours is nice and dry. And it sailsgreat. smooth and fast. we are very happy with her. Good luck in yur search.
fishsail18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 07:02   #20

Thanks for the info on your chain plates and your boat regarding plywood/wood... I've heard a lot about compression post mount and wood rotting; metal rusting.

I'd be checking everything before hiring a surveyor, but the Irwins seem to need a little more attention to detail regarding inspections... Maybe because it's a production boat and their age (at lease the ones we're looking at).

Our 26 is a production boat, but the PO took extremely good care of her, kept her on a trailer, sailed mostly fresh water, and (due to illness), shrunk wrapped her and stored her in a barn for 13 years. (We lucked out!)

I'm getting ready to start my first thread/post over at the Irwin site. I'm not very computer literate, so I still have more to learn.

Thanks for the best wishes on finding our boat. We are leaning very heavily towards towards the 38 MK III (I think? The one with the centered aft berth with walkways on port and starboard.) The one thing I'm not certain about is the bolt on winged keel. Have you heard anything about the integrity of this set up on the Irwins? (I've read almost every post on that site (not wanting to post redundant questions), and never saw anything about this as being an issue.

OK... back to work here.
Thanks again!
Richard
Old 01-11-2018, 04:10   #21

(first post)
My wife and I recently looked at an Irwin 38 Mk II and were reasonably impressed with the layout of the boat. We are looking for an ICW-type boat and are still having the power vs. sail discussion. The Irwin seemed to offer the space we would want and the layout belowdecks should allow two people to move around without a sort of "excuse-me-a-minute" sort of existence.

The boat we looked at needed more love than I could give it - the propulsion systems (sail and yanmar) seemed in reasonable condition but the cabinetry and furnishings down below were shot plus a hatch leak had led to rot in the cabin sole. I suppose I could replace love with money but I don't have an unlimited supply of that either. I will say though that the glass looked good, the decks seemed solid - no flex - so I was reasonably comfortable that the boat was well built.

I had never really thought of a CC boat before and will now search for other 38's (the Mark II as it has the fore and aft berth in the aft cabin) but I have also started to look for other similar sized CC's. What would be the equivalent boats in that size range? I won't ever be racing the boat - but possibly might take a trip in the NOrth Atlantic - say from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland - that sort of thing. Thanks
gmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:20   #22

Boat: Whitby 42

CC is the only way to go. We lived aboard and cruised an Irwin 41 for six years and loved it. Looked at some 38s recently and most were in pretty bad shape. Ended up with Whitby 42. A little bigger than we wanted, but well equipped.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:48   #23

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Graham, you just joined the Facebook group Irwin Sailboats (I’m one of the admins.) you’ll find it is only the 1986-8 models that have the inline master bunk. All the earlier models are athwart ship.
I sent you a PM but here’s your boat already Canada registered. ����
https://daytona.craigslist.org/boa/d...?lang=en&cc=us
I would take her anywhere.
FYI I upsized to an Irwin 46’.
Old 01-11-2018, 13:19   #24

Thanks. Lovely looking boat .... but I am afraid a little more than I had planned to spend.
gmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Irwin