Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2024, 09:18   #1

Irwin 44 Center Cockpit as First Boat?

Hello,

My girlfriend & I have decided to get out of the rat race and live on a sailboat full time. Looking to buy a boat arounds September 2025.

I have been looking at the 1987 Irwin 44 CC. I like the space in the cabin, the space on the sides of the bed in the main cabin, and mostly the center cockpit.

We both have never sailed a boat this big (or really any sailboat at all). My experience is very minimal with being crews on 420's, J24's, & Hobies, but never skippering.

We plan on just cruising up and down the east coast and jumping around islands in the Bahamas.
I have heard that the Irwin 44 CC is a slow boat and not recommended for offshore.

BUT as my main concerns are SAFETY & COMFORT, would this be a good starter boat for just going from Jacksonville to the Bahamas?
NoviceSailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 10:13   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Irwin 44 Center Cockpit as First Boat?

I once considered buying an Irwin 52.

At the risk of offending owners, this wouldn’t be my choice for a number of reasons among which are the propensity for the windows to leak because of their inherent build method. Not an easy fix and quite annoying. Another being it doesn’t sail as well as many other similar boats.

The biggest attraction Irwin’s offer is space, I.e., interior volume.

I know more than a few surveyors who refuse to even survey them. That in itself turned me off to them.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 10:22   #3

That boat certainly offers safety and comfort, but with a green crew it could be deadly.

Irwins are good boats, from my readings only, that 44 properly prepared could be a good for bluewater, with a salty skipper and crew member(s).

Might see if you can get lessons to take the boat out while you live on the ball or docks, after about 80 hours of maintenance training, 40 more for emergency repairs, then 80 hours of motoring and 300 hours of sailing, you might bite off a short cruise on your own. A short cruise is not to the Bahamas, more like 4 hours out and back keeping land insight.

By contrast, you could get 8 hours of instruction for a powered parachute and fly one and survive. But you're looking at a twin engine fixed wing and you haven't finished weather school yet.

However, you probably wouldn't be the first young couple to live on a floating condo staying in a harbor motoring around a bit.

IOW, that's not a starter boat for newbies. The idea is scary to me.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 10:30   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Look at a CSY 44 instead, better quality, strong and stable.
They come in 2 different draft versions, the deep draft probably sail a bit better, but owners of the shallow draft CSY 44s have been happy with their boats over the years.
I would NOT get an Irwin..
Old 03-06-2024, 10:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
That boat certainly offers safety and comfort, but with a green crew it could be deadly.

Irwins are good boats, from my readings only, that 44 properly prepared could be a good for bluewater, with a salty skipper and crew member(s).

Might see if you can get lessons to take the boat out while you live on the ball or docks, after about 80 hours of maintenance training, 40 more for emergency repairs, then 80 hours of motoring and 300 hours of sailing, you might bite off a short cruise on your own. A short cruise is not to the Bahamas, more like 4 hours out and back keeping land insight.

By contrast, you could get 8 hours of instruction for a powered parachute and fly one and survive. But you're looking at a twin engine fixed wing and you haven't finished weather school yet.

However, you probably wouldn't be the first young couple to live on a floating condo staying in a harbor motoring around a bit.

IOW, that's not a starter boat for newbies. The idea is scary to me.
Wavewacker,

I appreciate the tips!
I am planning on living in a marina in Jacksonville with our boat for a couple of years before cruising solo.
I have a handful of friends who are actually sailing coaches for the Florida Yacht Club & Jacksonville University.
My plan is to just have her be dock queen and take her out close by when those friends are available. We will be taking this time to learn/repair/& prepare for being able to live aboard without shore power.

I will definitely turn to my other options as Irwin does not seem to be a good starter.
My other options were Morgans, Bruce Roberts, & Hunter.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:51   #6

Boat: 2006 Passport 470

The Irwin’s are known for not being particularly well bit.
I suggest you watch this
https://youtu.be/uL3DAgVcGU8?si=KWDZrmiqPiJ7YQoV

Unsolicited advice
44’ is a lot of boat for a novice. Both to learn to sail, and especially to maintain. Especially an older boat. Unless you are very mechanically inclined, and a fast learner to boot, or have the pockets to hire people, you could be in for a rough ride.
Billberner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 11:52   #7

Boat: 2006 Passport 470

Couldn’t agree more!!!
Old 03-06-2024, 12:17   #8

Boat: Hunter 340

44 ft is a lot of boat for a beginner. More than the particular make and model it is a lot of boat in general. Not saying don't do it but be safe. Most people would not consider any 44 ft boat to be a starter boat. 30 to 35 ft is generally the sweet spot for first time boat ownership. Much less and it is hard to fit what you need for cruising (there are exceptions to ever rule), much more and the cost and challenging with sailing increase significantly.

Give yourself time to build up experience don't grab 44 ft boat and just start passage making.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 12:27   #9
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billberner View Post
The Irwin’s are known for not being particularly well bit.
I suggest you watch this
https://youtu.be/uL3DAgVcGU8?si=KWDZrmiqPiJ7YQoV

Unsolicited advice
44’ is a lot of boat for a novice. Both to learn to sail, and especially to maintain. Especially an older boat. Unless you are very mechanically inclined, and a fast learner to boot, or have the pockets to hire people, you could be in for a rough ride.
I watched the above video, just a guy yakking on about Irwins being great boats.
The charter company CSY had contracted with Irwin to build their boats but the quality of the Irwin built CSYs was so bad that CSY cancelled the agreement and started building their own boats instead and to a higher standard.
Some Irwin owners have have upgraded their boats and make them better in the process, but there are plenty of horror stories on Irwin’s original water tank">fresh water tank baffles being made out of plywood, fasteners not through-bolted etc.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:57   #10

UPDATE;
Thank you for the advise!
I will definitely steer from Irwin's & try to stay under 44ft.

I am now looking at a Hunter Passage 42.

I know this is not much smaller but this will essentially be our house, so comfort is a must.
Old 03-06-2024, 13:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceSailor1 View Post
UPDATE;
Thank you for the advise!
I will definitely steer from Irwin's & try to stay under 44ft.

I am now looking at a Hunter Passage 42.

I know this is not much smaller but this will essentially be our house, so comfort is a must.
Great Chice ++ a spiral stair
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 14:09   #12

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

IMO there is no blanket statement answer. Yes bigger is more expensive. Yes bigger can be more to handle.

You know the kind of person you are and your capacity to learn and endure. It can most definitely be done. But it is not easy and should not be taken lightly.

Be smart, educated and make your dream a reality. Just don't be naïve and underestimate the challenge ahead of you. But also remember that is part of the attraction.

Best
Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 19:27   #13

Boat: Corsair F27

Hunters are not known for build quality or sailing ability.
Rolled Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 20:46   #14

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Living aboard a 44 ft boat is doable- hundreds (thousands?) have done so. I think your issues are going to be as a first-time sailor on a boat that’s pretty heavy and pretty large for your experience level. Personally I would start sailing on a much smaller boat. The effects of steering, sail trim, etc. are much more immediately apparent, which means you’ll learn faster. Also, the risks to your finances and those you’re about to hit are minimal comparatively when you make a judgement error about boat handling, which you will, which we all have.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceSailor1 View Post

1) We will be taking this time to learn/repair/& prepare for being able to live aboard without shore power.

2) My other options were Morgans, Bruce Roberts, & Hunter.

1. Without shore power requires detailed knowledge of electrical systems. In addition to Nigel Calder's book, you could learn a lot at these two sites:

https://marinehowto.com/
Electrical Systems 101 http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5977.0.html

2. You should realize that these are completely different boats in terms of build quality and design parameters. And a poor example of the best won't be as good as a great example of the worst. Don't listen to Hunter-bashers - their larger boats are not bad.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, center cockpit, cockpit, Irwin