Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2024, 09:14   #16

Boat: 2006 Passport 470
Re: Irwin 44 Center Cockpit as First Boat?

The Hunter 42 Passages are a different animal than their smaller offerings. Much more robust build.

They are still relatively lightweight in terms of D/LWL so they will certainly be more twitchy in the water than a Hylas, Passport, Cabo, Valient, Tayana etc, but will get you there and back safely is handled responsibly. And likely much less expensive, too.

I wouldn’t cross an Ocean in o e, but to get out to the Bahamas from Northern Fl, or maybe even down to the Carib,
Billberner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 10:56   #17

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer

I bought my last boat first, a 1981 44 ft, and figured I'd grow into it, instead of growing out of it and keep trading up. I was also determined to be able to singlehand it. 8 years later, I'm still very happy with that decision. Many OP think the Lancer is poorly built and handles terrible, much like many of the comments here on your post about your choice, but I think it's in the eye of the beholder. Every boat is a comprimise. The blood and treasure I have put into her has helped me appreciate my lifestyle of learning and adventure, and I get to reap the benefits of that effort. I also opted for comfort over performance, and have been very happy, going slow is the new fast, lol. There's nothing rational about owing any boat, tbh, so pick one you're emotionally attached to, and enjoy the ride and the learning journey that comes with it!
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 07:02   #18

Boat: Alerion Express 28

We chartered an Irwin many years ago and it was the worst boat I ever sailed. We ran the engine about 75% of the time in the Carib! because of its poor sailing qualities. We dubbed it the "Flying Pig" though I'm not sure about the flying.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 07:47   #19

I would spend the next several months visiting marinas and looking to chat with owners who are puttering on their boats. Bringing some beers help. Boat owners love to talk about what they do or do not like about their boats. Once started, you can't shut them up. Within 10 minutes most will invite you aboard to take a look.

I would stay away from Irwin's but any 40 year old boat is going to be a tremendous amount of work. If you are handy and have the time it can be fun for the right person. Also be sure you have enough money left over after the purchase. Expect to spend $50,000 over the 12 months after the purchase on everything from replacing the foam in the mattress because your back hurts to a new chain for the anchor. Maybe you won't spend that much - but don't plan on it.

When you are ready to go to The Bahamas, plan on taking a crew. These are all too big a boat for a novice to safely single hand. It's astonishing easy to find old guys who will jump at the chance of an offshore trip if you'll cover their plane trip home. Just weed out the alchoholics.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 08:10   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I would spend the next several months visiting marinas and looking to chat with owners who are puttering on their boats. Bringing some beers help. Boat owners love to talk about what they do or do not like about their boats. Once started, you can't shut them up. Within 10 minutes most will invite you aboard to take a look.

I would stay away from Irwin's but any 40 year old boat is going to be a tremendous amount of work. If you are handy and have the time it can be fun for the right person. Also be sure you have enough money left over after the purchase. Expect to spend $50,000 over the 12 months after the purchase on everything from replacing the foam in the mattress because your back hurts to a new chain for the anchor. Maybe you won't spend that much - but don't plan on it.

When you are ready to go to The Bahamas, plan on taking a crew. These are all too big a boat for a novice to safely single hand. It's astonishing easy to find old guys who will jump at the chance of an offshore trip if you'll cover their plane trip home. Just weed out the alchoholics.

Great advise here! Thank you!
UPDATE:
I am really starting to fall in love with the Hunter Passage 42. (Irwin is off my list)
Mostly because of the transom stairs & platform since we will be anchoring most of the time.

I am currently racing J24's (not well I might add) every Wednesday at the Florida Yacht Club.
I plan on using this time to learn the basics and hopefully meet other cruising boat owners. (I'm sure I will meet someone with a Hunter)
NoviceSailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 08:40   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I sailed in company with an Irwin 44 CC for a while.
While certainly spacious below, it didn't appear to be a particularly good sailing boat.
Slow, lousy windward performance, and so on.

Going from J'ville to the B'mas should not be a problem for this boat, whether you choose to go offshore or via the ICW. You'll likely be using the engine a lot, so make sure, it is running and in good shape.
Your other potential selections, Morgan, BR and Hunter would fall into the same category, ie, spacious below, but not necessarily sparkling performance. Any of those three can make the J'ville-B'mas trip without any problem.

As you are not racing the boat, speed is not a vital concern, as you'll be basically plodding along and there is nothing wrong with that.

I'd say...if the price is right...and still in good nick....go for it..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 08:44   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The Hunter 42, like the Irwin 44, gets it's great interior volume at the expense of high topsides, etc, which in turn, affects performance.
Given a choice, I'd go for the Hunter 42 over the Irwin 44, as it will be a much newer boat, and you'll see a lot of these in the B'mas.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:01   #23
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
I bought my last boat first, a 1981 44 ft, and figured I'd grow into it
I did the same, my first boat was a 44’ Bill Trip Bermuda yawl, never sailed before, steep learning curve but it didn’t take long to single hand from St. Croix to St. Thomas.
Also entered Foxy’s Wooden Boat regatta in The BVI’s and won my class, until I was disqualified for starting in the wrong class.

Had fun living onboard in the Caribbean, highly recommended.

A Hunter 42 should be all you need, if the draft is reasonable, shallow waters in the Bahamas, you will run aground sooner or later, make sure it happens on a rising tide.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:04   #24

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceSailor1 View Post
Great advise here! Thank you!
UPDATE:
I am really starting to fall in love with the Hunter Passage 42. (Irwin is off my list)
Mostly because of the transom stairs & platform since we will be anchoring most of the time.

I am currently racing J24's (not well I might add) every Wednesday at the Florida Yacht Club.
I plan on using this time to learn the basics and hopefully meet other cruising boat owners. (I'm sure I will meet someone with a Hunter)
Don't let the "you can only sail true 1980s bluewater boats or nothing" snobs discourage you. Not sure I would want to cross an ocean in a hunter (although plenty of people have risk tolerance varies) but for coastal cruising, living aboard, ICW travels, and island hopping in the caribbean it is a solid boat.

I am looking at smaller boats right now and considering a hunter. It is in great shape, hunter has a large community so finding parts and answers and workarounds is easier.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:10   #25

Quote:
Wavewacker,

My other options were Morgans, Bruce Roberts, & Hunter.
I'm a sucker for a Bruce Roberts pilot house, but Hunter would be a very nice liveaboard.

Glad to hear you have your lessons covered,
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 10:55   #26

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolled Up View Post
Hunters are not known for build quality or sailing ability.
Don't tell these people that... https://sailwahoo.blogspot.com/

13 years all over the Caribbean ...https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...-74.919941&z=6
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:18   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Hello,

My girlfriend & I have decided to get out of the rat race and live on a sailboat full time.

I have been looking at the 1987 Irwin 44 CC.

We plan on just cruising up and down the east coast and jumping around islands in the Bahamas.

BUT as my main concerns are SAFETY & COMFORT, would this be a good starter boat for just going from Jacksonville to the Bahamas?
I think that is a fine choice for the use, I leave it up to you detmine if the boat is in good enough condition. If it is then it is silly for people to suggest a 40 year boat is a bad boat!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 08:44   #28

I am a bit embarrassed to tell this before so many. Yet, here we go. My first cruising boat was a 43 foot Irwin Ketch, a dream come true. I felt totally confident on buying her as I had experience with airplanes, tractors AND a 16 foot sloop on a Texas lake. Within the first 500 miles, she had “chewed me up and spit me out”. Fortunately, I had friends along in the early days to show me how everything was supposed to work. By the time I reached Charleston, having run from the Chesapeake, I was finished … totally done. I put her up for sale over Thanksgiving and Christmas, and, very fortunately, she did not sell. I returned to her on January 10 and resumed my cruise for the endless summer. After that break of Thanksgiving and Christmas, upon returning, I suddenly could do this; it was like learning to ride a bicycle! Thereafter, for multiple seasons, I ran south and back, mostly singlehanded but with wonderful buddy boats.

So, as to your choice, I would say take the big bite and be prepared for the best years of your life. A large comfortable boat is worth a lot in pleasure and safety. Just go very slowly and with caution when needed, and accept all of the help and experience that is offered. I wish you could see the smile on my face right now. Do this!
Gregg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 09:03   #29

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Hello,

My girlfriend & I have decided to get out of the rat race and live on a sailboat full time. Looking to buy a boat arounds September 2025.

I have been looking at the 1987 Irwin 44 CC. I like the space in the cabin, the space on the sides of the bed in the main cabin, and mostly the center cockpit.

We both have never sailed a boat this big (or really any sailboat at all). My experience is very minimal with being crews on 420's, J24's, & Hobies, but never skippering.

We plan on just cruising up and down the east coast and jumping around islands in the Bahamas.
I have heard that the Irwin 44 CC is a slow boat and not recommended for offshore.

BUT as my main concerns are SAFETY & COMFORT, would this be a good starter boat for just going from Jacksonville to the Bahamas?

I think that the Iwin 44 is an OK boat, fast enough with a fin keel, but not a speedster, and I see nothing wrong with going offshore on this boat. I note however that you said nothing about the rig, sailing equipment, and sails. You just went below and looked at it as if it was a house. You need to think about the overall boat, not just the interior.

And since you have very little experience sailing I suggest you get as much sailing in before you buy a boat (to see if you like it and what type of boat you want).

I don't mean a few day sails or lessons, I mean constant sailing in all kinds of weather. In my view the best way to get this type of experience is to join racing crew and do all the races. Even if you don't like racing you will learn a ton in a year.

Find where they race in your area and go there on race day and ask if they need crew. Get on a boat and start learning.
Old 10-06-2024, 11:33   #30
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Hello,

My girlfriend & I have decided to get out of the rat race and live on a sailboat full time. Looking to buy a boat arounds September 2025.

I have been looking at the 1987 Irwin 44 CC. I like the space in the cabin, the space on the sides of the bed in the main cabin, and mostly the center cockpit.

We both have never sailed a boat this big (or really any sailboat at all). My experience is very minimal with being crews on 420's, J24's, & Hobies, but never skippering.

I have heard that the Irwin 44 CC is a slow boat and not recommended for offshore.

With a CAPSIZE ratio of 1.82 and a COMFORT ratio of 32.4 I would consider the boat less than ideal for your stated purposes. I would continue boat searching and start taking sailing lessons. Use sailboatdata.com or Sail Calculator Pro for making objective comparisons.

Good Luck.

Tags
boat, center cockpit, cockpit, Irwin