Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2021, 09:12   #136

Re: Is Alberg the best production designer ever?

Thanks all. I feel bad about my reaction and I want to apologize. You have all been really helpful, and even the posts with something to prove taught me something. I'm just overwhelmed by all the new info and not wanting to make a serious financial or even fatal mistake by choosing the wrong boat. You know, when you start learning something new, you get to the point when you realize it goes much deeper than you had ever considered and I was getting stressed chasing down all the data I was receiveing. Anyway, thanks again. I appreciate the knowledge in this community!
Lance Monotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 09:25   #137
mdc

Boat: 1982 Tayana 37 & 1961 Pearson Alberg 35

You are probably ready to get into good solid discussion on anchor types and and technique.

My full keel boat came equipped with a CQR and all chain rode. I have a large Fortress for a backup.

I'm lucky to still be alive.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 10:17   #138

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monotone View Post
Thanks all. I feel bad about my reaction and I want to apologize. You have all been really helpful, and even the posts with something to prove taught me something. I'm just overwhelmed by all the new info and not wanting to make a serious financial or even fatal mistake by choosing the wrong boat. You know, when you start learning something new, you get to the point when you realize it goes much deeper than you had ever considered and I was getting stressed chasing down all the data I was receiveing. Anyway, thanks again. I appreciate the knowledge in this community!
I do understand how you feel about this after all the advice you've been given and I was afraid of that because I've seen it happen before where someone comes on the forum and asks for advice as you did, they are bombarded with the equivalent of a masters degree (with some blatant misinformation thrown in too) in cruising boat design, and I suspect partially because of the firehose of info they've tried to swallow, 2 years later they still don't have a boat of any kind. Please don't succumb to this paralysis by analysis because it REALLY doesn't have to be complicated at all so don't let it. You're going to get a ruggedly built older, classic plastic boat and you've going to enjoy it a lot. You're obviously interested in learning all about sailing, so you'll naturally gradually learn all you can about your boat (whatever it is) and practice how to best sail it, and almost all those skills will be transferable when you move on to your next boat, whatever it may be. Also, by then you'll have been able to gradually absorb some of the pros and cons of various underbody types and a lot of the other stuff you've been told on this thread, and you'll have gained the perspective to analyze it for yourself so you can better determine what's wheat and what's chaff without feeling overwhelmed.

When you do close on a boat, it would be nice if you'd post a photo on this thread?

Good luck!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 10:56   #139

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Here is another person that had a similar idea as yours Mr. OP.......which was to buy an old affordable but seaworthy full keel sailboat, move aboard, and head South to warmer temps.

She did her first trip from Canada to Florida on a Pearson Ariel 26 then later came back to the Chesapeake Bay area and bought another full keel sailboat a Great Dane 28.

She is also an aspiring writer and has written articles for several boating related magazines to include This Old Boat and the Spin Sheet.

Here's a link to her website. It appears she has been at this now for 9 years from age 22 to 31.

Dinghy Dreams – Road to the Sea
Was this the person who was getting a substantial discount at a boatyard, refitting her boat and put slogans in bottom paint on her keel? Then was asked to leave?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 11:13   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Was this the person who was getting a substantial discount at a boatyard, refitting her boat and put slogans in bottom paint on her keel? Then was asked to leave?
Maybe?
Solo Cruiser Emily Greenberg
“... Emily wears her activism openly. You might have spotted her – she wears dread-locks, five years in the making. In Oriental’s harbor, where she lived for several months, her boat displayed a Black Lives Matter sign – perhaps, at the time, the only one posted in town ...”
https://towndock.net/shippingnews/so...mily-greenberg

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 11:16   #141

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Might be, but you have to remember, she is young and likes to stand up for what she believes.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 21:34   #142

Boat: Ontario 32

Lance, I will reiterate a point which I have made elsewhere, which is that there are only 3 relevant questions about any boat:

1. Is she safe and seaworthy in her design and current condition?
2. Does she allow you to do the kind of boating that you want to do?
3. Does she make you happy? Because otherwise there's no point.

Everything else is marketing hype and scuttlebutt B/S (Seriously, if the EPA knew how much B/S is spewed out in every harbour around the continent, they would shut them all down immediately ). My one major concern about a newbie living with a full keel is the issue of limited maneuverability in harbour (no problem on the open water). That said, I sail on Lake Ontario and in my very narrow harbour we had a gentleman who took his beautifully maintained Alberg 30 out every day, singlehanded, had a himself a good sail, and then brought her back in. Sadly, last summer he disappeared overboard one day and the boat was found sailing herself well down the lake. Which just goes to show that even having a solid boat and lots of experience can not always save you from misadventure.

I also believe that the builder is every bit as important as the designer. Bill Nye once took me on a tour of his production facilities and I know that his Albergs were damn near bullet-proof. So always look into the builder's reputation, and remember that building practices and quality control would sometimes vary over the years and ownership changes. Specific vintage can be important.

Enough! Find a boat that makes your heart sing, buy her, fix her up, and go sailing!
PerfectPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 22:38   #143

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectPirate View Post
Lance, I will reiterate a point which I have made elsewhere, which is that there are only 3 relevant questions about any boat:

1. Is she safe and seaworthy in her design and current condition?
2. Does she allow you to do the kind of boating that you want to do?
3. Does she make you happy? Because otherwise there's no point.

Everything else is marketing hype and scuttlebutt B/S (Seriously, if the EPA knew how much B/S is spewed out in every harbour around the continent, they would shut them all down immediately ). My one major concern about a newbie living with a full keel is the issue of limited maneuverability in harbour (no problem on the open water). That said, I sail on Lake Ontario and in my very narrow harbour we had a gentleman who took his beautifully maintained Alberg 30 out every day, singlehanded, had a himself a good sail, and then brought her back in. Sadly, last summer he disappeared overboard one day and the boat was found sailing herself well down the lake. Which just goes to show that even having a solid boat and lots of experience can not always save you from misadventure.

I also believe that the builder is every bit as important as the designer. Bill Nye once took me on a tour of his production facilities and I know that his Albergs were damn near bullet-proof. So always look into the builder's reputation, and remember that building practices and quality control would sometimes vary over the years and ownership changes. Specific vintage can be important.

Enough! Find a boat that makes your heart sing, buy her, fix her up, and go sailing!
I agree on most of your comments about selecting a boat. An easy sailing boat is far better to learn on, than one that is difficult to maneuver and requires lots of sail to move it or avoid motoring it in light air .

I don't know who Bill Nye is. But as far as calling these old classics bullet proof, I have to disagree there. Some of these boats are pushing 60 years old. My Alberg 35 was built in 1961. The hulls in these old boats are thick. They were built with lots of excess resin and often lots of chopped mat. Not nearly as strong as modern techniques. The metals used on these boats varied a lot. My Pearson built Alberg had tons of bronze screws, bolts and fittings. I had to replace and repaire a whole lot of them, not always in fun place while doing it. Realistically old boats like the ones in this thread can be a great way to get into a smaller cruising boat for little initial outlay. That doesn't make them super safe offshore, bullet proof or even cheap to own.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 01:22   #144
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
... I don't know who Bill Nye is. But as far as calling these old classics bullet proof, I have to disagree there. Some of these boats are pushing 60 years old. My Alberg 35 was built in 1961. The hulls in these old boats are thick. They were built with lots of excess resin and often lots of chopped mat. Not nearly as strong as modern techniques...
Bill Nye (the Science Guy) was a mechanical engineer, science communicator & advovate, and science presenter, on TV, in the 1990s, then re-runs.
PP probably means, Allan Nye Scott, a Canadian Boatbuilder, the manager of J.J. Taylor & Sons, then owner of Nye Yachts, builder of Alberg 22 & 29s, etc.
Allan Nye Scott
R.I.P Alan Nye Scott | Twentynine » An Alberg 29 Site
http://navalmarinearchive.com/pdf/al...e_scott_sm.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 03:58   #145

Quote:

I don't know who Bill Nye is. But as far as calling these old classics bullet proof, I have to disagree there. Some of these boats are pushing 60 years old. My Alberg 35 was built in 1961. The hulls in these old boats are thick. They were built with lots of excess resin and often lots of chopped mat. Not nearly as strong as modern techniques. The metals used on these boats varied a lot. My Pearson built Alberg had tons of bronze screws, bolts and fittings. I had to replace and repaire a whole lot of them, not always in fun place while doing it. Realistically old boats like the ones in this thread can be a great way to get into a smaller cruising boat for little initial outlay. That doesn't make them super safe offshore, bullet proof or even cheap to own.
Sean D's 1973 $1,000 Bristol 27 although not bullet proof did pretty well crossing 3 oceans. I don't know what maintenance he did on it besides the bottom and Dyneema Shrouds. Rudder Bearings? Seacocks?

I believe he may have mentioned hull flex in 50 knot plus winds after leaving New Zealand where he got delayed and then caught in some weather.

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/se...-and-alexandra

https://svcrystalblues.blogspot.com/...ne-around.html

http://www.bristol27.com/bristol-spe...hull-alexandra
Old 24-01-2021, 04:05   #146

Quote:
Oh, for heaven's sake, Celestial! Let it go.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 04:09   #147

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Sean D's 1973 $1,000 Bristol 27 although not bullet proof did pretty well crossing 3 oceans. I don't know what maintenance he did on it besides the bottom and Dyneema Shrouds. Rudder Bearings? Seacocks?

I believe he may have mentioned hull flex in 50 knot plus winds after leaving New Zealand where he got delayed and then caught in some weather.

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/se...-and-alexandra

https://svcrystalblues.blogspot.com/...ne-around.html

Bristol27.com » Hull # – Alexandra
You forgot to mention the duct tape holding things together. What is your point. I have mentioned a number of times in this thread that just about any boat can cross oceans. A boat made of lashed together plastic bottles did San Francisco to Hawaii. That does not make it a stand out seaworthy and safe boat.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 04:09   #148

Excellent.

Well said, Salit.

Pay attention, Lance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I do understand how you feel about this after all the advice you've been given and I was afraid of that because I've seen it happen before where someone comes on the forum and asks for advice as you did, they are bombarded with the equivalent of a masters degree (with some blatant misinformation thrown in too) in cruising boat design, and I suspect partially because of the firehose of info they've tried to swallow, 2 years later they still don't have a boat of any kind. Please don't succumb to this paralysis by analysis because it REALLY doesn't have to be complicated at all so don't let it. You're going to get a ruggedly built older, classic plastic boat and you've going to enjoy it a lot. You're obviously interested in learning all about sailing, so you'll naturally gradually learn all you can about your boat (whatever it is) and practice how to best sail it, and almost all those skills will be transferable when you move on to your next boat, whatever it may be. Also, by then you'll have been able to gradually absorb some of the pros and cons of various underbody types and a lot of the other stuff you've been told on this thread, and you'll have gained the perspective to analyze it for yourself so you can better determine what's wheat and what's chaff without feeling overwhelmed.

When you do close on a boat, it would be nice if you'd post a photo on this thread?

Good luck!
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 04:40   #149

Quote:
You forgot to mention the duct tape holding things together. What is your point. I have mentioned a number of times in this thread that just about any boat can cross oceans. A boat made of lashed together plastic bottles did San Francisco to Hawaii. That does not make it a stand out seaworthy and safe boat.
My point is the old plastic classic full (cutaway) keel boats seem to be pretty tough and seaworthy despite their old techniques used to build them.

I have slammed docks with mine, tied it up wrong at a dock and it got beat up for a weekend, bounced it of numerous bottoms running aground and it seems no worse for wear.

My experience until I bought this boat was with boats that you do not dock so I did have a learning curve on docking, and this boat torn quite a few chunks out of docks to include pilings.
Old 24-01-2021, 04:45   #150

Quote:
Her boat though does look like one hell of a strong, seaworthy full (cutaway) keel plastic classic.

It's a Great Dane 28.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/great-dane-28

I may have left that new diesel in it though rather than remove it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EG's Great Dane 28.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	231068   Click image for larger version

Name:	EG1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	231069  

Tags