Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2021, 08:51   #181

Boat: Alberg 35
Re: Is Alberg the best production designer ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psjanker View Post
I like Cape Dories. Own two of them a 28 and a 30b.

They are tough and will take conditions beyond what most crews can take. I like all sailboats but chose to own full keel boats because I will fail before the system does. See Cynthia Woods incident and similar accidents.

All sailboats are slow. In Nov I flew from Antigua to Virginia in about 5 hours....took 9 days to sail there. (Lagoon 42) Top speed was 17 knots but the average was 6.2 knots over the 1670 NMs. Either of my Cape Dories could have done the same. I agree that the Lagoon was sailing first class but I have never been beaten so bad in a sailboat. I would have rather been in my Cape Dory.

To give you an idea of the capabilities of Cape Dories read up on the 2015 Mobile Bay race. Several boats sank and there was multiple lives lost in hurricane force winds. While most boats were trying to survive, a Cape Dory was busy with rescuing those whose boats had sunk.

If you want a new Cape Dory 28-33 (semi custom Robinhood) be prepared to spend 3-4 hundred K. That one can pick up a ready to sail Cape Dory for 10-25k is unbelievable.

Cape Dories are tender initially but firm right up and its difficult to get the rail in the water. I recall pulling in at Chrisfield VA from Smith Island in the Chesapeake during some great sailing weather to a full harbor of weather “trapped” sailors trying to get to Annapolis for the 4th of July. Seeing new faces in the marina a sailor exclaimed where we had come from and could not believe we had crossed the Bay from Point Lookout (reputation for the worse conditions in the Bay) His partner looked out into the mooring field saw the 28 and stated words to the effect “ they have a Cape Dory!”. Having a Cape Dory is alot like having a jeep wranger in a snow storm.

In terms of pointing I have never had an issue with going upwind and with the fill keel its quite comfortable. That being said I do not recommend long distance travel by any sailboat when one has to beat. Trip to Antigua on a constant port beat in 25 to 35 knot winds beat that inclination out of me! If I planned on doing alot of racing, many boats will likely point higher.

V/r

Pete
Definitely gets rough around Point Lookout. I've taken a couple over the stern there. At some point you wind up getting sick of waiting for weather windows... makes you glad to have a stout boat.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 09:20   #182
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is Alberg the best production designer ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesledaft View Post
Definitely gets rough around Point Lookout. I've taken a couple over the stern there. At some point you wind up getting sick of waiting for weather windows... makes you glad to have a stout boat.
Ahh yes.. Some awesome standing waves out there when the wind is right..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 16:31   #183

Boat: Columbia sloop 40

I owned a similar Phillip Rhodes Swiftsure for yeacan only speak from having spent months aboard sailing with owner of an Alberg 35 from Alabama to Florida and thence to Mexico plus later borrowing a friend's and skippering one around Yucatan/E Mexico.
Carolyn Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 16:50   #184

Boat: 1984 Truant 37

Have you checked some of the designs by Bill Garden? They tend to be roomier and more suited for leisurely sailing, with all the blue water advantages.
lmezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 18:55   #185

Boat: Columbia sloop 40

Pretty, Wx & ocean-worthy yes indeed, but I found Alberg (35 anyway) joint between hull and keel a problem....so do check if glassing done AFTER bolting on keel in manufacture?. Grounding/keel scrape and abrasion may cause boat bilge to fill with water and be disconcerting--like the one I cruised on.
Also consider if sailing S Pacific atolls or shallow cays of Bahamas etc, ashallow draft or retractible centreboard should be considered. Sturdy, solid little old Rhodes Swiftsure 33 has a centreboard, giving 6' (down) or 3' draft (up) for good tracking offshore as well as doing shallower cays and atolls.
One can often find good boats that others have had to sacrifice and who have already put the money and work into. I personally found that boat knowlege and experience may often be gained more cheaply and easily-- before buying one's own boat--by finding and crewing for well-experienced boat owners.
Carolyn Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 19:36   #186

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn Phillip View Post
Pretty, Wx & ocean-worthy yes indeed, but I found Alberg (35 anyway) joint between hull and keel a problem....so do check if glassing done AFTER bolting on keel in manufacture?. Grounding/keel scrape and abrasion may cause boat bilge to fill with water and be disconcerting--like the one I cruised on.
Also consider if sailing S Pacific atolls or shallow cays of Bahamas etc, ashallow draft or retractible centreboard should be considered. Sturdy, solid little old Rhodes Swiftsure 33 has a centreboard, giving 6' (down) or 3' draft (up) for good tracking offshore as well as doing shallower cays and atolls.
One can often find good boats that others have had to sacrifice and who have already put the money and work into. I personally found that boat knowlege and experience may often be gained more cheaply and easily-- before buying one's own boat--by finding and crewing for well-experienced boat owners.
Alberg 35 had a bolt-on keel? Are you sure that was an Alberg 35?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 04:19   #187

Boat: Tartan 40

Sure seems like it from diagram in SailboatData. Not that uncommon. Hinckley Bermuda 40 also has external lead ballast in same location

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1611749991.448654.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	231355
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 04:35   #188

Boat: Bristol 27

Alberg 35 Contruction

Two aspects of the boats construction have caused some problems for owners. First, the ballast casting is a single chunk of lead which is dropped into the hollow fiberglass keel molding.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...classic-escape
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 04:38   #189

Boat: S&S 40

Getting lost in semantics, sailing is an adventure, asking which boat is good for sure is subjective.
Maybe you will find a boat that suits you, never mind what others say...
VOSS sailed around in a canoe and Fred Rebel sailed across the Pacific from west to east in an open 18ft boat.
So yes it is subjective.
Good luck
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 04:47   #190

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Alberg 35 had a bolt-on keel? Are you sure that was an Alberg 35?
My Pearson built Alberg 35 was an encapsulated keel, not bolt on.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 05:07   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn Phillip View Post
I can tell you 150% that Alberg 35 do not have a bolt on keel, and the glass is incredibly thick! I just had my hull from toerail down sandblasted to bare glass/gel a couple months ago when I was rebuilding it. Some Alberg 35s have voids in the keel cavity between glass and lead though. This can be easily remedied by pouring in resin after letting the area dry sufficiently.

I've hit bottom pretty hard at 6kn and no leaks...

AFAIK no Alberg designs besides the South Coast 21 had bolt on keels.
Old 27-01-2021, 05:11   #192

Couple pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64F0483C-6C9A-4413-9B5F-8D51802B897F.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	467.0 KB
ID:	231356   Click image for larger version

Name:	F29B3865-A179-4088-B1A5-DD02F8469290.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	450.4 KB
ID:	231357  

Old 27-01-2021, 05:39   #193

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Sure seems like it from diagram in SailboatData. Not that uncommon. Hinckley Bermuda 40 also has external lead ballast in same location

Attachment 231355
Have owned both boats. Alberg 30 is molded-in iron ballast. Bermuda 40 is bolted lead.
Old 27-01-2021, 05:57   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesledaft View Post
I can tell you 150% that Alberg 35 do not have a bolt on keel, and the glass is incredibly thick! I just had my hull from toerail down sandblasted to bare glass/gel a couple months ago when I was rebuilding it. Some Alberg 35s have voids in the keel cavity between glass and lead though. This can be easily remedied by pouring in resin after letting the area dry sufficiently.

I've hit bottom pretty hard at 6kn and no leaks...

AFAIK no Alberg designs besides the South Coast 21 had bolt on keels.
Or maybe I should say bolt on in the traditional fin keel style
Old 28-01-2021, 09:37   #195

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I had to sell my Cape Dory 28, which was really sad for me as I had big plans for her. As the saying goes, sometimes life gets in the way.

But I am already planning for another day, and my next mistress will be a Cape Dory 25D. I almost bought one before I got the 28, but she got away. The size will work much better for me because of where I will keep her.

So I'm looking. I only know of one nearby, but they want too much, and added wheel steering, which I do not want at all.

If you know of one for sale, please let me know.

Happy sailing !

Tags
alberg, designer