Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2021, 09:53   #196

Re: Is Alberg the best production designer ever?

Nice Boats. My wife’s father had the 22D and we sailed that boat all over Nantucket Sound. I was working for Hood Sails at the time and we fitted the boat with a Seafurl and a French made Stowaway boom which was a real luxury to reef the main.
searoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 09:58   #197

Boat: Cape Dory 28; Cape Dory 30B

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
I had to sell my Cape Dory 28, which was really sad for me as I had big plans for her. As the saying goes, sometimes life gets in the way.

But I am already planning for another day, and my next mistress will be a Cape Dory 25D. I almost bought one before I got the 28, but she got away. The size will work much better for me because of where I will keep her.

So I'm looking. I only know of one nearby, but they want too much, and added wheel steering, which I do not want at all.

If you know of one for sale, please let me know.

Happy sailing !

Good luck at finding a CD25D at a decent price. I have a CD 28 that I would trade for a CD25D or CD22D (even rarer than a 25D!). By far I prefer the 28 for its sailing capabilities but its just over the line for being able to trailer by a non professional. Bottom line is that I have two CDs on the east coast and need to get one to the West Coast....specifically the Salish Sea of British Columbia/Washington State.

V/r

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	off Pax River.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	231462  
psjanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 10:10   #198
cruiser

I wonder what starts to go on in fiberglass after 40 - 60 yrs.
Lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 10:10   #199

Boat: Bristol 27

CD25D for sale w/ trailer

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...262978369.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 10:12   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi22 View Post
I wonder what starts to go on in fiberglass in over 40 yrs.
Not much it would appear.

My boat is 46 years old. Got it for $2,000 in 2011.

1974 Bristol 27.

A friend of mine has a 1976 Westsail 32 that's 44 years old.

I think he just sold it for around $29,000.

https://www.bayharborbrokerage.com/b...ginia-7710175/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.6.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	475.8 KB
ID:	231463   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	231464  

Old 28-01-2021, 10:51   #201

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yeah, this is the one near me, but I just think the price is a little too high, and I really, really do not like or want the wheel steering. I guess I don't know how its done, having never seen the set-up, but I don't want it. Much much much prefer a tiller.
Old 28-01-2021, 11:28   #202

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Yeah, this is the one near me, but I just think the price is a little too high, and I really, really do not like or want the wheel steering. I guess I don't know how its done, having never seen the set-up, but I don't want it. Much much much prefer a tiller.

My last boat, a Luders 33, came with wheel from factory apparently. Not tough to convert to tiller which was an awesome upgrade. Much easier than adding a wheel
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 16:44   #203

Boat: Woods Eclipse 33' sailing cat

Hesitate to add to such a long thread, but I will anyway. I sailed one for years on the Chesapeake, hull #76. The A30 is indeed a strong, simple boat with beautiful lines. The boat is pretty tender, but stable at heel There are a lot of them around (tells you something right there) and usually inexpensive, to buy anyway. Whitby built over 400 of them. Will need new electrics, as they were wired with lamp cord. Look for numbers under 400. Those have very strong hull-deck connxns, and later ones were pop-riveted. The decks are cored with masonite (!) but later numbers are balsa, even worse. The earlier boats have no cabin liner or pan. Many will show delamination in the mast beam, which can be strengthened with aluminum sisters. Some were powered by Bukhs, some by Atomic 4s, some by Continental (Gray Marine). Gas engines are fine IF you pay attention. Strong owners ass'ns: Chesapeake Bay A30 and Canadian counterpart in Toronto. We had tons of fun on that boat.
cyfishburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 16:49   #204

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by psjanker View Post
Good luck at finding a CD25D at a decent price. I have a CD 28 that I would trade for a CD25D or CD22D (even rarer than a 25D!). By far I prefer the 28 for its sailing capabilities but its just over the line for being able to trailer by a non professional. Bottom line is that I have two CDs on the east coast and need to get one to the West Coast....specifically the Salish Sea of British Columbia/Washington State.

V/r

Pete
What a great photo! Reminds me of my daughter. That's what it's all about for me.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 17:03   #205

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi22 View Post
I wonder what starts to go on in fiberglass after 40 - 60 yrs.
Pretty much everything around and associated with it. The bolts, fittings, deck core, wiring, tanks, engine, hoses, bearings, ........... plus an occasional blister.

It reminds me of a large company I used to work for. Our unofficial motto was Economy, at any cost,
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 19:58   #206

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Pretty much everything around and associated with it. The bolts, fittings, deck core, wiring, tanks, engine, hoses, bearings, ........... plus an occasional blister.

It reminds me of a large company I used to work for. Our unofficial motto was Economy, at any cost,

All of those things listed are found on a fiberglass or wood or aluminum or steel boat but none of them are unique to fiberglass or made of fiberglass. Wood rots, steel rusts, aluminum corrodes, so I think fiberglass is probably the best option for someone who wants a 50 year old boat.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 21:43   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
All of those things listed are found on a fiberglass or wood or aluminum or steel boat but none of them are unique to fiberglass or made of fiberglass. Wood rots, steel rusts, aluminum corrodes, so I think fiberglass is probably the best option for someone who wants a 50 year old boat.
True, with the exception of blisters. I only made a comment on this because in the context of this thread the post seemed like it was promoting the low maintenance of buying an old fg hull. Something that just ain't true.
Old 28-01-2021, 21:50   #208

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Yet there are >100 year old timber yachts sailing actively down here in Tasmania, and likely lots of other places. In another 40+ years it is likely that there will similarly be FRP boats, but so far ain't none that old sailing.

Only partly tongue in cheek...

Jim
Old 29-01-2021, 03:14   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
True, with the exception of blisters. I only made a comment on this because in the context of this thread the post seemed like it was promoting the low maintenance of buying an old fg hull. Something that just ain't true.
I bought my boat which is a 1974 Bristol 27 in 2011. Got for $2,000 but it was probably worth around $5,000 -$6,000.

It was totally loaded with equipment as the PO had left it near here on his way back from a two year cruise to Florida and the Bahamas from Massachusetts.

The engine (diesel) was pretty much shot so after it went I replaced it with an outboard.

It had been on the hard for 5 years. I also replaced the mainsail, autopilot, did a bottom job and was sailing it within a month or so after I bought it in 2011.

I have done no structural repairs on this 46 year old boat.

I did remove one stanchion and base and have yet to replace it. (even though I bought replacements)]

It leaks a little (hull/deck joint under the toe rail) during heavy rains onto the shelfs which drains down to the bilge.

Point is the hull and it's attachments have been low maintenance in the past 9 years.

I have replaced the dodger, mainsail cover, outboard bracket, tiller, cabin lamps, curtains to shades, and have painted the whole boat bit by bit but not a lot of upkeep maintenance on the boat. Through hulls/seacocks are still the original, and I have yet to replace the rigging.

Lifelines are dyneema/polyester. I replaced the cable lines.
Old 29-01-2021, 03:29   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I bought my boat which is a 1974 Bristol 27 in 2011. Got for $2,000 but it was probably worth around $5,000 -$6,000.

It was totally loaded with equipment as the PO had left it near here on his way back from a two year cruise to Florida and the Bahamas from Massachusetts.

The engine (diesel) was pretty much shot so after it went I replaced it with an outboard.

It had been on the hard for 5 years. I also replaced the mainsail, autopilot, did a bottom job and was sailing it within a month or so after I bought it in 2011.

I have done no structural repairs on this 46 year old boat.

I did remove one stanchion and base and have yet to replace it. (even though I bought replacements)]

It leaks a little (hull/deck joint under the toe rail) during heavy rains onto the shelfs which drains down to the bilge.

Point is the hull and it's attachments have been low maintenance in the past 9 years.

I have replaced the dodger, mainsail cover, outboard bracket, tiller, cabin lamps, curtains to shades, and have painted the whole boat bit by bit but not a lot of upkeep maintenance on the boat. Through hulls/seacocks are still the original, and I have yet to replace the rigging.

Lifelines are dyneema/polyester. I replaced the cable lines.
Yep, she's in great shape. You won't have to touch the fiberglass. The engine is junk, she leaks like a sieve and it'll only take a small chunk of bitcoin to get her ready to cruise offshore. Did I mention the fiberglass is in good shape?

Tags
alberg, designer