Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2021, 09:26   #226

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Is Alberg the best production designer ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
This is spot on. I've owned and cruised an Alberg 35 out of Baltimore for the last 6 years. It's a learning experience. I don't think I'd ever blown a tack before this boat but they take some attention to do it gracefully. Going upwind in significant wind there is considerable weather helm. I've never found the tankage to be an issue. The lack of space is at times. I sail singlehanded frequently, sometimes with my wife. More than two would be an issue.

She does like to heel about 30 deg. upwind. A lot of heel initially, then she tends to just stick with the lee rail barely out of the water. I frequently sail with the first reef in; it helps balance the boat. In short, steep waves (coming out of a creek with opposing wind and tide) she does hobby horse. The comment one post made about not being able to get to water and food is really about planning; I always have water and food near the helm (I learned to do this by having that person's exact experience, so not gloating).

On the other hand, the hull is solid. She's a 1965 boat and has benefitted from good owners who took care of her. You just have to learn to sail her properly.

On a dock full of production boats that are more modern, have more space, and probably go faster, my boat is the one that people admire. And finally, I can honestly say, I've never walked away without looking back and smiling.
Kinda hard to do on a 10 day passage.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, designer