Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2020, 07:10   #31

Boat: Shannon 38 ketch
Re: Is an electric windlass a necessity when living on the hook solo?

Thank you all for your input. I've learned more from this post than I could have learned in a month of scouring the internet and watching YouTube videos.
DarwinHolmstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 07:41   #32

Boat: 38" Sailboat

For single handing I would recommend not just a windlass but one with controls both at the bow and the cockpit, also if possible a chain counter. For single handing I would also recommend a windlass that can be used to drop the anchor in addition to just having it free fall. This of course assumes you will be anchoring in crowded areas sometimes and in conditions that aren't always the best. It's also super hard to see chain markers in the dark.

Currently I anchor a lot single handed, but only have controls at the bow, this makes it exceedingly difficult in the wind since I often have to run back and forth, between dropping the anchor and positioning the boat if there is current or wind. Also with 300 feet of chain and a decent sized spade anchor, I certainly wouldn't want to pull it up by hand.

Most windlasses can also be used manually like a winch so your not completely out if you have a power issue.
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 08:04   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is an electric windlass a necessity when living on the hook solo?

On a boat your size yes.. especially if your going to solo a lot..
Dual controls is best.. bow and cockpit so you can control while solo motoring up to the anchor and reeling in as you go from the cockpit.. or the occasion when your motor has failed and you need to sail up to your hook.. remember most motors need the engine running to keep the windlass turning.
Raise the main and center the traveler then sheet in so the boom can swing between 1 & 2ft either way.. center your wheel/tiller with a bungee and the natural swing of your boat will set you on a slow tack towards and to the side of your hook.. haul in while making fwd progress then lock the rode when she heads the wind and starts to fall off before taking the other tack.. repeat till your down to about the last 10metres of chain then wait till your on the favorable tack that allows you safe passage as the anchor breaks free and you can haul in the remaining chain and your anchor is up at around water level.. lock it off then head back to your helm, flick off the bungee, set your course and AP to clear the anchorage then head back fwd to stow any chain still on deck and snug up your anchor while keeping an eye open all round.
Works great up to 37ft depending on muscle power..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 08:18   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
On a boat your size yes.. especially if your going to solo a lot.
Thank you! I'm going to print this out, along with the rest of the excellent advice, and put it in the binder with the owner's manual that Captain Bruce compiled.

And I do expect to solo a lot. I'm a decent-looking functional independent male who will be living on a yacht often anchored near beaches containing lovely women, so I don't expect that to be alone every night, but I suspect that finding a permanent first mate willing to actually live on the water will be a rare thing.
Old 19-12-2020, 08:35   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

It is doable but less comfertable, 6mm high grade chain, lightweight anchor, yes it will work for you, get the electric windlass just in case, you will decide soon enough.
Izikalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 08:40   #36

Boat: Hardin 45 Ketch

I am physically able to raise my anchor; however, when in a situation wher the holding is not good and I need to raise and lower a 45 lb anchor on an all chain rode more than once, a windlass is surely good to have. Also, in muddy bottoms, you can pull your anchor up a few feet at a time, haul buckets of water to wash the muck out of the chain, or install a washdown pump.
Spapkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 08:50   #37

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinHolmstrom View Post
I was planning to motor toward the anchor while pulling in the chain with the electric windlass but not pull the boat toward the anchor with the windlass. My boat is 20,000 pounds and that seems like it would be too heavy and place too much strain on the electric windlass. I could motor towards the anchor, go to the bow and bring up the chain and, depending on the current, repeat that as many times as necessary without an electric windlass. My bigger concern was if the anchor was caught. I could motor ahead of the anchor and try to get it loose with the electric windlass, but with a manual the current or wind would push me back a bit before I might reach it.

Also, even though I am extremely fit, i am 57 years old and I hope to be doing this for many more years. I broke my T12 vertebrae in a motorcycle racing crash some years ago and that sometimes bothers me. I imagine that might still be a problem when I'm 70. I suspect I'll appreciate the electric windlass more as the years pass by.
You will definitely appreciate an electric windlass and that seems like what you wanted to be convinced to do in the first place.

A handheld remote is a wonderful convenience and I highly recommend it.

You would be surprised what you can do with a little finesse. In settled conditions I pull the boat up to the anchor but do so in short bursts. When you're on the bow and can see what's happening and listen to your windlass you will learn how far you can push it and stay within its limits.

For example, as a full time all season PNW cruiser I have an oversized deep setting new gen anchor (Sarca Excel) and 500' of chain. Most of the time I'm able to break the anchor from the bottom just with the windlass, finesse, and patience, a tiny bit at a time, timing with the bouncing of the bow to use the help of my 20 ton boat to supplement the windlass. If the windlass is straining I do my "anchor dance" by stepping on the taut chain to get the bow bouncing. (we have a Lofrans Tigris 1200w).

A deck wash pump is also a wonderful thing that is easy to install and it helps to bring the anchor up in short bursts and wash the chain and inspect it at the same time. Your ground tackle, windlass and anchor locker will be much happier that way.

Most windlasses on recreational boats are not designed to run continuously under load for more than 15-30 seconds or so, making "finesse" the word of the day.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 08:53   #38

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Is an electric windlass a necessity when living on the hook solo?

Only if you're over 60!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 09:01   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Only if you're over 60!
So I have three years to dilly dally.
Old 19-12-2020, 09:37   #40

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Is an electric windlass a necessity when living on the hook solo? I prefer to keep everything as manual as possible to eliminate electrical malfunctions but I have a heavy boat (Shannon 38) and worry about raising and setting the anchor when sailing solo. I intend to be living on the hook as much as possible from now on.
Necessity - No.
Very beneficial item for your situation - Yes.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 09:40   #41

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izikalvo View Post
It is doable but less comfertable, 6mm high grade chain, lightweight anchor, yes it will work for you, get the electric windlass just in case, you will decide soon enough.
Wow, other cruisers think my 5/16 high test chain is light. 6MM is under 1/4 inch. I wouldn't go less than 5/16 HT for a Shannon 38. Besides strength a little weight gives you some catenary which is a good shock absorber.

The Caribbean is a windy place. Part of having scope is that the chain is never pulled bar tight. Shock loads on deck gear and ground tackle is a problem to be avoided. We all face the compromise between all that weight forward and equipment strength. I am still using the CQR 60 that was on my boat when I bought it 30 years ago so I can't comment on the new generation anchors. Having spent thousands of days at anchor in the Caribbean and other places I sleep better with heavier ground tackle.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 09:42   #42

Boat: Jeanneau, 39i, 40ft
Send a message via Skype™ to amanoni

Here in the PNW, anchorage are typically deeper. 40 ft or more, so dropping 200 ft or more of chain is typical. Last summer my windlass crapped out, decided that for the remainder of the summer and fall, I'd do without. I too am fit, but when at times it can take a try or to set the anchor, hauling that 250ft of chain and anchor up repeatedly, gets really old.

The older I get this is less a convenience and more if a need.
amanoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 10:24   #43

This forum is amazing. This is one of the the most concise collections of extremely useful information that I've found anywhere. It's like what the rest of the internet will be if it ever grows up and quits being a genital-waving contest of ego autoeroticism.
Old 19-12-2020, 10:27   #44

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I spend 4 to 5 months a year cruising the coast changing anchorages almost daily, solo. Without a good strong powered windlass that I can remotely control, none of that would be possible.
Old 19-12-2020, 10:29   #45

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I spend 4 to 5 months a year cruising the coast changing anchorages almost daily, solo. Without a good strong powered windlass that I can remotely control, none of that would be possible. I am 76.

Tags
electric, wind, windlass