Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2020, 10:29   #46

Re: Is an electric windlass a necessity when living on the hook solo?

Quote: "I was planning to motor toward the anchor while pulling in the chain with the electric windlass but not pull the boat toward the anchor with the windlass. "

Spot on! That's the key to it.

Your boat is a ketch and about 10 ton laden displacement. Full keel and lotsa windage. No need to ask a pretty-pretty windlass to deal with that :-)

Have a remote control for the windlass so you can stay at the helm. Motor slowly towards the anchor. As the rode slacks, take up the slack, bit by bit, using the remote as you go. When you are "up'n'down" and all the rode that is left out is (presumably) chain, break out the anchor by motoring over it. It'll stay down far enuff that the rode won't foul the prop. Once you are "up'n'down" even the prettiest of windlasses can cope with hoisting the weight of the hook and the rode that remains out. So, by the way, could a pretty Yorkshire lass :-)! Select "neutral" and let the boat drift for the few moments it'll take you to go forward to make sure the anchor stowed correctly in the chocks as the 'lass brought it up the rest of the way. For this last bit you use the deck switches next to the windlass.

Once the hook is in the chocks, clap a devil's claw on the chain and secure the claw to the samson post or a horn cleat. If you are going anywhere at all, secure the shank of the hook in the rollers with light line. I always carry bits of light line in my pockets for such odd jobs.

No doubt you have a roller furling headsail. If, given the windage of it, the wind forces your head off as you move towards the anchor, take in the slack of the rode a little faster so it goes taut and pulls the boat back on track, but not so fast that the windlass has to take the stress of pulling the boat.

No need to mention, I'm sure, that moving towards the anchor you need to take in the slack fast enuff (using the remote control) that the bight of it doesn't float aft and foul your prop.

If you are hemmed in by other boats in an anchorage, just proceed slowly with the hook broken out but still down, say, 10 feet until you are in clear water with enuff space and time to let 'er drift long enuff to secure for sea without going near the others.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 11:14   #47

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Not required, but highly recommended and a much better from a safety standpoint... not to mention easier on your body 😉
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 11:26   #48

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I made at least 5 trips NJ to the Bahamas with a C&C 36 with all 5/16" chain and no windlass. I liked all chain so that I could use less scope in some of the narrow creeks along the waterway. I usually anchored in less than 10' of water and thus hauling up 10' of chain at 1lb/ft and a 35 lb anchor was doable. I started with 250' of chain and later went to 125' with 200' of 9/16" nylon for an emergency. Once I anchored in 40' with everything and up anchoring was not fun. If you are thinking of 3/8" chain then I recommend a windlass.

I have since installed a 1000W windlass with heavy welding cables going to the batteries. After a lot of thought I was able to install the windlass out of the weather. I just bought a small and LIGHT Li battery for another project and if I had to do the installation again I would investigate installing one at the windlass. You could charge it with a small 110V charger running off an inverter when you are motoring. I like the windlass , but it is slower than manual.
I found that I have to be at the bow up-hauling. The chain tends to pile up under the windlass and the windlass jams. The biggest problem is mud, especially in anchorages along the Intracoastal. I had to install a wash-down at the bow.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 13:53   #49

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

Buy a good Anchor Windlass. You will never regret it. Do not however buy a Quick. Total junk. Very poor and slow warranty response.

Of course its going to make your life easier. Pretty darn important if you can have a deep enough anchor locker so it falls down and lays properly especially if you want to operate it remotely
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 15:24   #50

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

It’s a bit of a dance, but I can pull up an 80lbs anchor with 200’ of chain on a 50ft boat with huge windage.

Once it’s free, you just have to motor upwind or up current to give yourself a little sea room to get it the rest of the way up.

Of course, if you’re looking to clean the mud off (I can actually clean mine in the anchor locker if needed), an electric windlass or crew will be necessary.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 16:46   #51

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinHolmstrom View Post
I'm worried about having to motor the boat at the same time as raising the anchor if I need to get it loose. Lowering it I can walk to the helm and set the anchor with the engine, but raising it. well, that's about a 36 foot stretch. With an electric windlass I can operate it remotely from the helm.

This is a legitimate question. I have done this singlehanded on my boat. Just secure the anchor chain with a hook and rope to a cleat. If ever you do get a windlass, don't use the windlass to take the strain, which could be considerable if the boat is moving and the anchor is stuck badly. Then start motoring gently. Observe your surroundings to know when the anchor has broken out and the boat has started to move freely. You'll have to plan your exit strategy to avoid hazards while you then stop the boat and go forward to finish bringing in the anchor.

Singlehanding is a fun challenge - after careful planning, just do it!
Old 19-12-2020, 17:07   #52

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
It’s a bit of a dance, but I can pull up an 80lbs anchor with 200’ of chain on a 50ft boat with huge windage.
How about posting a video of you doing this in a 40 foot deep anchorage with 35 knots or more of wind blowing?

Should be a big hit on utube and the superman forum.

I'm skeptical, mate, and surely wouldn't ask the OP to emulate your prowess anyhow.

Jim
Old 19-12-2020, 17:23   #53

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
How about posting a video of you doing this in a 40 foot deep anchorage with 35 knots or more of wind blowing?

Should be a big hit on utube and the superman forum.

I'm skeptical, mate, and surely wouldn't ask the OP to emulate your prowess anyhow.

Jim

The Op is deciding if he needs an ELECTRIC windlass. A manual windlass works just fine. He only needs an electric if he’s physically unable to use a non electric.

If my 95 lbs girlfriend can pull up the same 80lbs anchor and 200ft of chain I can, there’s something wrong with YOU not with us. Our manual windlass works just fine, thank you.

If you don’t have the strength or energy left to use a manual windlass, Stick to electric if that’s what you need to do, but no need to be a complete dbag here putting down ours and calling me a liar. I’m incapable of lying, sir.

Also, where TF am I going in 35 knots? I’m not an idiot. I’m not weighing anchor to go have a lousy time. I’m waiting for better weather.

Maybe you aren’t lacking in strength or energy after all if you love going out purposefully in 35 knots. My hat’s off to you, Superman
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 17:31   #54

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
How about posting a video where you aren’t being a disrespectful cranky old man?

The Op is deciding if he needs an ELECTRIC windlass. A manual windlass works just fine.

If my 95 lbs girlfriend can pull up the same 80lbs anchor and 200ft of chain I can, there’s something wrong with YOU not with us.

I’m skeptical of your attitude
Well, you did not say that you were using a windlass... you said " I can pull up an 80lbs anchor with 200’ of chain on a 50ft boat with huge windage."

To me that sounds like just pulling on the rode. With a decent manual windlass of course you can do such feats... I did similar on our previous boat for 17 years of cruising in the SP, as mentioned upthread.

There have been a couple of posts in this thread advocating NO windlass being needed, and it sounded like you were joining in to that meme.

So, as amended, I have no objections to your post, despite being a cranky older than you man.

Jim
Old 19-12-2020, 18:16   #55

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Absolutely get the electric windlass. I used to retrieve the anchor on my bro-in-law's boat by hand, but we always had at least two people on board, so one at the helm. On my boat, I am often single-handed, and I would not like to be handling the anchor without an electric windlass; it's possible, but so, so much easier with the electric. Treat yourself.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 18:56   #56

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
With wind, it is difficult.
Actually much easier with wind since you should always first raise the mainsail before pulling the anchor up anyway. I see people pulling the anchor without raising the sail first and just shake my head. The wind will sail the boat over the anchor and even break it free.

It's sometimes difficult without wind, but there are several ways to break an anchor free, my favorite is to dive down and dig it out or untangle it from whatever it's stuck on. This always works and I've never lost an anchor, but was difficult for me when the anchor was stuck between rocks at 50ft depth. A windlass would not have helped, I've see other people cut their anchor in situations where I retrieved mine, but diving was required.

Generally you can sweat the anchor the same as halyard since I don't use winches for those either. If there is swell you can use that to break it.

It all really comes down to the boat and the manpower available, and for me a windlass is not useful, but I have many things that I use often that would not see use on another boat. If I ever had a windlass it would be pedal powered and I would keep the de railer and get very fast speeds as well as low gears. I could use this to power the boat very efficiently as well.

I have never used any kind of windlass. I think if I had one I would miss out on exercise, and they are constantly breaking and also a lot of extra weight to add to the boat especially considering the heavy gauge wires. I have 35lb rocna anchor.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 20:31   #57

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
This forum is amazing. This is one of the the most concise collections of extremely useful information that I've found anywhere. It's like what the rest of the internet will be if it ever grows up and quits being a genital-waving contest of ego autoeroticism.

Yes, mostly because everyone pretty much agrees on that topic. It would be rather different if you had asked what anchor is "the best"

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 22:08   #58

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I must be one of the odd ones. Where I am cruising it would not be prudent to regularly raise the main prior to weighing the anchor. A big wide open anchorage, ok, maybe. Small, protected cove, where winds can come in and bounce off cliffs and swirl around, with other boats nearby, nope. Especially solo. And I have done it, when I had room. But not with a heavy 38 footer. Once the anchor is free, to start sailing off while you are raising the anchor and still dragging 25 feet or so of rode and anchor, invites potential problems IMO. If your engine is dead, sure then you have to make do. But if you have a perfectly good engine there idling, why risk it?
I also have only dived on a stuck anchor once, a 45lb CQR that was jammed in rocks, and all I did was attach a trip line. I have never thought of regularly diving to do anything with the anchor. I try to avoid that. Perhaps I am getting older.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 01:52   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjShap View Post
I have an electric windlass on my 45' steel boat with all-chain rode, only operable from the bow, not the helm. When I'm pulling up the anchor, I prefer to be forward to wash muck off the chain as it comes aboard.

In calm-ish conditions this is easy. For heavier conditions, or more crowded anchorages, I found a remote control for the autopilot very helpful so I can steer from the bow. Adjusting gearshift or throttle requires a trip to the helm, but the remote steering reduces the number of trips.
One of my fav things on bigger boats is an electric windlass - with one of those in-deck foot push buttons... (Edit: I just read a comment by another poster about not wanting to drill a hole in his deck for a foot push button - which made me realise that the foot-button-on-the-foredeck was only useful because generally I was on the foredeck managing the anchor coming up while I had someone else on the helm - which will NOT be useful to you - so please ignore my foot button comment)

Ahhh! Now that's the life!

Darwin, I think you're absolutely right to think about keeping your back healthy. Imagine if you threw your back out in the midst of hauling the anchor...? The boat adrift and you laid out on the foredeck groaning.

Good luck picking out a good one!
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 05:08   #60

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
I'm worried about having to motor the boat at the same time as raising the anchor if I need to get it loose. Lowering it I can walk to the helm and set the anchor with the engine, but raising it. well, that's about a 36 foot stretch. With an electric windlass I can operate it remotely from the helm.
I think you have just written your own answer.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, wind, windlass