Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 17:24   #16

Boat: Com-pac 25
Re: Is anyone familiar with the Bayfield?

Heard lots of good things about them but never been on one. I believe there's a review out there on the web on this specific boat. I love shoal draft boats. Of course the trade off would be sail towards the wind may be less than fin keelers.
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 19:28   #17

Boat: Stevens 47

Hi Ratliners:

I own a Bayfield 29 Cutter rig. Amazing heavy water boat, doesn't point very well, looks awesome and is quite roomy.

There is a wealth of information on your Bayfield 32 on the Bayfield owners group over on Yahoo....in fact, lots of info on all the Bayfields, with all kinds of tech tips, pictures, etc.

Not taking anything away from this group...but there aren't a lot of Bayfield owners here. Anything Bayfield specific, I go to that site, anything sailing or entertainment specific, I lurk here

Yahoo - Bayfield Yacht Owners Group....good folks there as well!

BTW, we sailed our boat down from Blind River on Lake Huron this year....crossing over from Meldrum Bay on Manitoulin Island to Rogers City MI was a real trip...we had to motor, was way too gusty...at least 6 to 8 footers, a lot of them breaking.....slowing us by 2.5 knots at times, and the Bayfield just kept cruising along.....crossing Saginaw Bay was not much better, and this full keeled 29 footer was having a great time....these boats will take some heavy water and look for more of it! Great boats....and lots of brightwork up top to keep you busy.

We will be sailing Lake Erie next year, Leamington has a great marina, Lake St. Clair was just a wee bit too small and shallow for us to stay there.

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 18:37   #18

Boat: Bayfield 29C

As a follow-up to Ratliner's OP, can I get opinions on the B29C offshore capability, when fitted out for the purpose, especially singlehanded by a prudent skipper.

I'm concerned about the cockpit drainage if a wave comes over the transom, and—having never been aboard one to see myself—the seal device under the cockpit floor; presumably the only thing preventing the engine compartment from flooding in a pooping.

Is this boat capable of offshore passage? I ask because it has found its way to the top of a short list of used cruisers to shop from next year.

Also, what is the 'C' designation? I don't think it's as simple as 'cutter.'

thanks
austinrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 08:57   #19

I have experience off shore with friends too and from the Bahamas several times. The boat sailed well. You could FB Sandra Tingley in Canada as she owned one. One of my picks for a small cruiser. You worry too much about the poop. Could bail that cockpit with a bucket.
jewel114 is offline   Reply With Quote