Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 16:23   #1

Is anyone familiar with the Bayfield?

I am looking for my first cruiser I have a few options here in Ontario that I have looked at however, there is a beautiful Nautai 37 in the Turks and Cacos that the gentlemen seems to need to sell. I thought she was beautiful and well laid out and I would love to own her but I am not in the position to drop things and go, at least not for a couple of years yet. I hope he decides to keep it a few more years.
I have looked at a Westsail 33 that was interesting but I think will require more work then I have finances for. I have also found a Bayfield 32 that seems serviceable but it only has a 3ft 9 inch draft. Is this a concern for ocean travel? I have also, and I don't want to offend anyone, seen a trend in the sailing community. There seems to be those who have large comfortable boats like the Irwins who seem to sail the coasts but the off shore sailors seem to chose smaller vessels and by smaller I mean less comfort below. Is there a reason? Any suggestions or personal experience is greatly appreciated and greatfully listened too.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2012, 20:06   #2

Re: Is anyone familiar with the Bayfield?

The Bayfield is the boat for you! Good choice. It is easy to sail and if you do some reasearch you will find people go all over in them. The bigger boats are harder to handle in a pinch. I had a Hans Christian 33 and loved it...except..I am only 5'6" and was not tall enough to handle it in a storm, shock to me. Went to a Island Packet 31 which didn't make me stand on my tip toes when reefing for 10 years and over 10k miles. I now have a Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 and will keep it to the end. I don't miss the room but my wife does. Am willing to go anywhere with it. I am 71 and have about 25 years expirence.
jewel114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 22:38   #3

I've sailed a bit on a friend's Bayfield 32. I think they are wonderful boats. Well built, sail reasonably well, especially on a reach. The shallow draft is noticeable in how much leeway the boat makes going to weather, but it was always manageable.
Ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 16:14   #4

Well just a follow up to this post. I did buy the Bayfield 32, it's been a bit of a rocky start so far but I am optimistic. I have a new question, how does one get a 150% genoa through the 24" space between the forestay and the staysail stay????? Help!!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 16:19   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratliners View Post
Well just a follow up to this post. I did buy the Bayfield 32, it's been a bit of a rocky start so far but I am optimistic. I have a new question, how does one get a 150% genoa through the 24" space between the forestay and the staysail stay????? Help!!!!
You furl it first!!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 17:21   #6

LMAO!!!! That was the obvious answer I was hoping for something less de-powering I was hoping to cross the finish line at least in the same day as the rest of the boats in the club races... Thanks for the reaffirmation that this is the way.
Old 07-05-2012, 19:47   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratliners View Post
LMAO!!!! That was the obvious answer I was hoping for something less de-powering I was hoping to cross the finish line at least in the same day as the rest of the boats in the club races... Thanks for the reaffirmation that this is the way.
Lots of boats have just this problem, us included. We have a Highfield lever (quick disconnect device) on the inner stay, and in light conditions can disconnect the inner stay and get it out of the way. You might consider such a setup...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 08-05-2012, 06:00   #8
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Congrats on your purchase ratliners.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:27   #9

Seems most folks define comfort below as LOTS of ROOM. While that's a great feature when anchored or at the dock. it's very very painful to be thrown large distances and brought up hard against a hard spot. Smaller spaces with lots of hand holds works off shore...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:38   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Congrats on the Bayfield--nice boats!

The 150 genoa is a lot of sail to go through the slot. Try backwinding it for a few seconds after coming through the eye of the wind, letting out a few feet of the loaded sheet until you get a "bubble" in the luff of the sail, then ease the rest through. When gybing, you may have to steer around up into the wind more than you'd expect to force the sail through the slot.

We had a 110 with a high cut foot, and it was never a problem to tack. Well, unless the wind was less than 5 knots.
Old 08-05-2012, 19:40   #11

Look at the Pardy's Web site. He shows how to make a release lever for a staysail shroud. When a tight space is been tacked in remove the shroud and sails a sloop.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:02   #12

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Use a double length sheet with a lark's head instead of two bowlines to attach your genoa sheets. That will make it a little easier to slide the genny through.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:14   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

+1 -- What Curmudgeon said.
Old 09-05-2012, 16:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Use a double length sheet with a lark's head instead of two bowlines to attach your genoa sheets. That will make it a little easier to slide the genny through.
Have the sail rigged that way already and yes it definitely helps. I tried the back winding too and the pocket didn't get big enough to pull the rest of sail through before it was too far to the lee. I have only had it out a couple of times I have a dripping drip-less shaft seal that becomes very active under power/sail. Waiting to be lifted out to determine the extent of the repairs.
Old 25-09-2012, 08:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratliners

Have the sail rigged that way already and yes it definitely helps. I tried the back winding too and the pocket didn't get big enough to pull the rest of sail through before it was too far to the lee. I have only had it out a couple of times I have a dripping drip-less shaft seal that becomes very active under power/sail. Waiting to be lifted out to determine the extent of the repairs.
The tube off the pack less tube must be led to the centerline of the hull and go almost to the deck. Check the tension on the ring on the shaft. Make inner stay removable and sail as a sloop in most conditions.