Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2020, 09:36   #31

Re: is buying a new boat similar to buying an RV

Contrary to advice given above - Yacht Dealers do keep boats in stock on their premises.
You state you are looking for a new Beneteau? The Beneteau group Owns/ controls 70% of the global production of sailboats and recreational power boats. They have stock - and the philosophy of the company is that the franchise dealership buys yachts from Beneteau to have on their ‘forecourt’.
This gives you a whopping angle of advantage- as the franchise owner does not want it lying around too long. Just like cars - If they have a boat two or even three years old....the boss there seriously wants to get it sold and replace it with one with a newer HIN. You should be able to leverage a monster discount!
Don’t forget though that - just like cars - your HIN is the ultimate 1st clue that the person YOU sell the boat to will look at.
Suddenly your original monster discount doesn’t look so good after all!
However......I am answering the question you asked - right?!
PM me if you’d like further tips from someone who actually was a Beneteau broker!
rupertfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 10:21   #32

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupertfb View Post
Contrary to advice given above - Yacht Dealers do keep boats in stock on their premises.
You state you are looking for a new Beneteau? The Beneteau group Owns/ controls 70% of the global production of sailboats and recreational power boats. They have stock - and the philosophy of the company is that the franchise dealership buys yachts from Beneteau to have on their ‘forecourt’.
This gives you a whopping angle of advantage- as the franchise owner does not want it lying around too long. Just like cars - If they have a boat two or even three years old....the boss there seriously wants to get it sold and replace it with one with a newer HIN. You should be able to leverage a monster discount!
Don’t forget though that - just like cars - your HIN is the ultimate 1st clue that the person YOU sell the boat to will look at.
PM me if you’d like further tips from someone who actually was a Beneteau broker!
PM this guy ^

Also the HIN is something alright I’m not sure if many people realize that most boats unlike cars can be manufactured in 1988 and titled as a 2000 or rather in the year sold. So in the secondary market your two year old boat is four whether you like it or not based On the HIN.
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 10:54   #33

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupertfb View Post
After the recession of 1988 when many manufacturers went out of business I vowed to never "order" a new boat again. At the time I had a boat on order and underwent a few months of anxiety until it left the builder's yard.

My next boat I bought out of a dealer's inventory. The dealer installed all the "optional" equipment I needed. No need to order from the builder and it kept the dealer's commissioning staff busy, a must if the dealer wants to maintain a good service reputation.
Old 23-03-2020, 11:01   #34

Boat: Sigma 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I wonder if the marinas and boatyards would be pressured by the state of this economy to lower their slip/storage rates.
It’d be great if they did but I kinda guess marina businesses are feeling the pinch too. I doubt many owners are moving on. So I would guess the marina owners have strong incentive to hold out!

My boat is in Morocco and as I can’t enter the country I guess they are looking at me as a petty fixed meal ticket - c’est la vie!
GBR134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 16:54   #35

Also looking at the 46.1... Found a 51.1 for 15% off in the UK on a dealer's lot, but it's too big for me.
svtickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 09:38   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
If you're looking for deals, it's far better to be in the used market. Tons of boats for sale, at all sizes, ages and price points. Seems crazy to me to buy new.
Here is excellent advice. Wood boats (remember them?) get old and die. Glass boats live forever. Virtually every glass boat ever built exists today. And, unlike old wood boats, a glass boat that is even five, six or more decades old can be found in good structural condition and fitted out for a small fraction of the cost of a new boat. And in my opinion older sailboats are much better than the junk produced today. Boats designed under the Cruising Club of America rule are the best, but those under RORC and IOR rules can be good if they are not extreme. There is an Albin Ballad being offered today here in Seattle for $7,000. Another $10-15,000 to fit her out and you have a capable, attractive ocean cruiser.
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, new boat