Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2008, 00:39   #31
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Mark

Now...would I do it?

No.

Then again, there are some folks that would think that crossing the Pacific in a Bene 393 was suicidal
Yeah

I know, Rick. And I know how I have been telling everyone to 'go now' and go with whatever you've got.
I am not sure if now I fit into the 'ol fuddy duddies who have done it and now want to make it harder for others who want to do it too.

Ya know there is one other thing I haven't mentioned as I don't know if I should even feel it, let alone mention it: Some people in small boats are bonkers. Other cruisers stay away from them. Maybe its the "Oyster Principle": I go talk to other 40 footers but wont go say Hi to an Oyster 60 (I havent actually seen an Oyster in our cruising, but you know what I mean). I sure wont go speak to a 20 footer unless I have studied them carefully to see if they are from the same planet....

Holy cow - is it racism of boat length?

Frank <--- a pseudonym as I don't want to be recognised....

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 00:45   #32
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
I sure wont go speak to a 20 footer unless I have studied them carefully to see if they are from the same planet....
And they may be the most interesting and experienced folks in the anchorage:

Any ding-dong with a line of credit can go and buy and Oyster 60, but to set sail and do passages in a 20 footer takes more than a few lucky real estate deals..Cojones.
Old 30-12-2008, 01:01   #33

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
When Im cruisin around the anchorage in my 10' dinghy everybody is bigger then me.... and fair game to hit up for a cold one...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 15:01   #34

Boat dreamers...

One of the things I've found sailing on a 25' boat is the shorebound will come up and ask about sailing or whatever it is I'm working on, but they won't try to chat up the guy just aft of me on a 40' or bigger boat.

Usually it bugs the heck out of me 'cuz I'm working on something and they want to ask me some imponderable question like "don't you think it's unpatriotic to sail to foreign countries?" (Yes, someone asked me that once.)

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:38   #35

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
Usually it bugs the heck out of me...
The larger point seems to be difference between seaworthy and seakindly – see; Marchaj… those of us who putter about on reality-sized craft do have occasion to covet the majestic period of air-craft carriers, not to mention cubic storage space, etc., etc… Nonetheless, some folks go camping with a pair of boots and a rucksack; while others captain their Winnebago’s from pump-out station to pump-out station… neither particularly envies the other…
Old 01-01-2009, 08:01   #36

Boat: Bristol 38.8
The real question is whether or not it is possible to take this particular Cape Dory 25 around the world.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:18   #37

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' - CALYPSO
There certainly seem to be a couple of ways of addressing this question.

1) Can you circumnavigate in a 25' boat? No question that the answer here is yes. See Pardeys, Aebi, Caldwell, Graham as small examples, and I am sure there are many more. Is it more comfortable in a larger one? Perhaps (not a given). Can it be done in the size you already have? Definitely.
2) Can you circumnavigate in THIS particular boat? Not so sure, but talking to other Cape Dory owners is probably a good start. Then get a good surveyor (who knows you are planning to go around the world) to go over your boat, with you observing and learning all along the way. Mike Firestone comes to mind as a great surveyor who does travel to do his work.
3) Can YOU circumnavigate? Only you can answer this question.

Good luck. It's fun to plan and plot, and lots of fun to know that the possibility is there for you to take!

Nica
Calypso, BCC #6
Sailingbeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:36   #38

Boat: grampian 26
cape dory 25

They went to sea in a sieve they did:in a sieve they went to sea.
Edward Lear. from his poem the "Jumblies". Pretty much sums it up
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:01   #39

A 25D, yes, a 25, no. Several 25D have done it. For those who don't know the 25D is a diesel driven pocket cruiser designed by Carl Alberg CDSOA, Inc. -- CD25D.

The 25 is an OB powered daysailer designed by George Stadel, based on the Greenwich 24 CDSOA, Inc. -- CD25

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 21:33   #40

It might be cheaper to buy a boat already set up for long distance cruising than to get your boat ready. You may have to replace all of the standing and running rigging, sails, and other equipment. Plus you will need to add a self steering vane/autopilot, liferaft, dodger, etc.
slap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 07:23   #41

In 1901 Howard Blackburn sailed transatlantic solo, Massachusetts to Portugal, in a 25' sloop. In 1883 he had lost all of his fingers, most of both thumbs, and some of his toes to frostbite.

Of course, he was experienced, have sailed alone to England with a 31 footer in 1899.

Cape Dory's are pretty stout little boats. The bigger question is will you have a good time doing this. Start out with smaller passages and find out if you like it.
Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 17:43   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecate View Post
I'm thinking about singlehanding around the world, and I was wondering if I need to buy a new boat or if I can take the boat I already have. It's a 1974, in fairly good shape.
I have yet to purchase my first yacht, but have done a bit of info gathering on cheap cruisers. I found a very cheap yacht and from what Ive heard a good reliable 25' foot "Top Hat" (full keel) that were made in Australia over 40 years ago, was hoping after alot of training I could travel from Melbourne to papua new guinea possibly?, and then came across an Australian man that did accomplish sailing around the world in this very yacht "Jamie Mitchell" Top Hat Yachts video interview http://www.onthewater.com.au/Videos/...sibilities.wmv..

I'm not an expert but I think its very possible, shyte you only live once but I would make sure I had all the training/practice I could get and If you were to get into trouble out there last thing you want to do is blame yourself for rushing into it, atleast you can go down in peace knowing you done everything you could and mother-nature beat you..
AussieNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 09:36   #43

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
[quote=AussieNeil;255197] I found a very cheap yacht and from what Ive heard a good reliable 25' foot "Top Hat" (full keel) that were made in Australia over 40 years ago, was hoping after alot of training I could travel from Melbourne to papua new guinea possibly?, and then came across an Australian man that did accomplish sailing around the world in this very yacht"

Hey, Aussie,

Just to add to your info, there is another Aussie who did long distance cruising in a Tophat. Name of Alan Nebauer, who at the age of ~23, and accompanied by his young wife Cindy, sailed from Newcastle to British Columbia via Hawaii. We met them in Hilo in 1987, and have kept up with them since then. They lived aboard in Canada for a couple of years, then sailed down to Mexico where we met them again in 1990. By then they had a new crew member, 18 month old Annie. Thereafter they sailed back to Oz, still in the Tophat (called Deus Regit).

A few years passed. Next encounter was in Darling Harbour, where Alan was busy with a pit stop as the skipper of "Newcastle Australia", an open 50 class racer in the '94-'95 BOC singlehand race. He went on to earn two "outstanding seamanship" awards in that race, one for the rescue of Josh Hall off South Africa, the other for singlehanding around Cape horn under jury rig after being dismasted some 600 miles west of the cape.

What's the point of all this? Just to point out that it may take a special sort of sailor to succeed in these oft quoted examples of small boat voyaging.

As long as you have a realistic feel for the challenges that you will face in such ventures, then go for it. If it works, great. If you don't like it, stop. If you die in the attempt, and do so without involving others in trying to save your ass, then it was your informed decision that got you there.

But, note that warning about "realistic feel". The only way to get that sense is through personal experience. Reading what opinionated old farts like me say in sailing forums is ok, but it simply can't replace experience. Hecate, take your Cape Dory out in some BAD weather (at least gale force winds), somewhere near home, a hot shower and repair facilities, and see how things go -- for you and for the boat. If you think that a parachute is the answer, try lying to it and recovering it. Try heaving to. Try sailing with the storm jib. See what, if anything, works. After you have been cold, wet, beaten up and scared for a couple of days, you will not need to ask us whether it is a good idea to go in that boat.

I wish you the best of luck in your adventures, whatever you decide.

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Gladstone Qld Oz
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 09:55   #44

For what its worth, I'm a small boat sailor by choice. Been thre done that small boats offshore thing. The boat will be ok although there are better one's for about the same money. I would suggest moving aboard today. If you cant be happy at the dock you wont be happy anywhere. I would take my 24 Allegra over a 39 bene anytime its safer, less work and a looker for sure. If I was just day or weekend sailing I would be just fine with the Bene. Focus on your skills and let the wind blow you where she will. Beware many people here will volenteer advise about things they know nothing about. Cheers Alan
boatyard Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 11:00   #45

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatyard Pirate View Post
Beware many people here will volenteer advise about things they know nothing about. Cheers Alan
That is the best piece of wisdom on this entire thread.............
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory, round the world