Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2014, 11:51   #1

Boat: TBD
Is It Worth It?

A some of you know from my other two threads, I am looking to find a live aboard sailboat that will be able to navigate the ICW, the coast of the US, as well as cross oceans safely. So basically an shoal draft passage making live aboard boat. This thread will be not only for me but for anyone to post a link to a boat to get you Guy's an Gal's advice on if the boat in question, is worth not just the asking price, but worth getting into seaworthy and ready to go shape.

I'll go first with this boat which I am thinking even thought the price is right for me (It is Free) It might be not worth the cost of going to get it to refit it. You all will know better than I do on this stuff. Here is the boat I found, Is it worth going to get it, would it fit my needs, and since it is already in the in refit mode is it possible to raise at least part of the cabins roof up about 6 inches? Here is the link and the photos from the listing.

1966 Pearson Vanguard sailboat for sale in North Carolina

P.S. The original plan was that is I found a boat that was not in my area was to go get it with out Frieghtliner and the Lowboy trailer, After finding this boat this morning I was asking Dad about the cost of getting the licence up to date on the truck and trailer. I was told somethings I didn't know about when I talked about hauling it. Dad sold the Lowboy years ago to a guy that bough a lot from us, we were suppose to still have use of it whenever we needed to move the dozer. The guy has since died and dad has no idea where it is now. Also I found out that the Freightliner Has a rear main seal leaking as well as a few other problems that is going to require a major overhaul of the 3406 Cat that is in it. So I would have to pay someone to haul it to the property so I could do the repairs on the boat then when finished pay to have it moved across the road to th boat ramp to launch it. So this boat even worth getting or should I wait and save up for a better boat? Thanks
Old 16-08-2014, 12:30   #2

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Is It Worth It?

You are lucky you don't have a truck and trailer! Look someplace else.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 12:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Is It Worth It?

I have seen it put very well on the forum, sometimes a free boat is too expensive.

Hard to tell from the photos, but looks like the interior is stripped, no engine, no cushions, possibly no lids to the cockpit lockers?

If all the above is correct then this is barely a step above building a boat from scratch.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 13:13   #4

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I'm unclear how you can rebuild/build a boat if you are disabled?

In any case, given the plentitude of monohulls and the relative dearth of multihulls, I'd go multihull and hope to have some value in it when done.
This thread has examples of deals that show up occasionally.
Haul a cheap project is almost always a bad idea, as it puts you in a deep financial hole before you even start to give up.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cts-87193.html
Old 16-08-2014, 13:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I have seen it put very well on the forum, sometimes a free boat is too expensive.

Hard to tell from the photos, but looks like the interior is stripped, no engine, no cushions, possibly no lids to the cockpit lockers?

If all the above is correct then this is barely a step above building a boat from scratch.
That is was what I was thinking too. I just wanted to make sure. Oh and you forgot no sails too. The other boat I was looking at was this one. 1966 Pearson Wanderer 30 That they are asking $3,250 for it, that I don't have at the moment, and it will most likely be gone by the time I do have it. But this the type of boat I should be looking for? I don't know what the inside cabin height is on this boat or if it is a good type to use for passage making at least from one coast to the other in the US, this means sailing to the canal to get there. From what I see almost any boat I find I'm going to have to stoop while inside the cabin or find a way to raise the roof. Tallest inside height I have found that is listed so far is 6'2" so I would have to raise the roof about 6" to give myself 2" clearance.
Old 16-08-2014, 13:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
I'm unclear how you can rebuild/build a boat if you are disabled?

In any case, given the plentitude of monohulls and the relative dearth of multihulls, I'd go multihull and hope to have some value in it when done.
This thread has examples of deals that show up occasionally.
Haul a cheap project is almost always a bad idea, as it puts you in a deep financial hole before you even start to give up.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cts-87193.html
I have gave up on the building idea. I hope to save up and find a boat that will fit my needs that I will only have to do a few changes here and there to make it workable for me. My back is my main problem and if I am wearing my "Turtle shell" it doesn't hurt me as much. Problem with it is it is hot wearing it and I can't bend over with it on. As for helping with a refit here at home I have my Dad, brother, and 19 year old nephew that just got out of high school that is not doing anything but playing game, riding the 4 wheeler, and watching TV. It would do him good if I put him to work doing something other than goofing off. Pay him off with fishing trips to the gulf now and then.
Old 16-08-2014, 13:42   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Whilst the second yacht is $3200 consider it would cost you that for sails on the first yacht. Same again for an engine, more for rigging, cooker and cushions and so it goes on. So yes the second yacht is the better buy. Don't worry if it sells there are plenty more.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 14:04   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think your best bet is to become known around a marina or two, maybe a yacht club? Sometimes people get old or simply dis-interested with a boat and don't won't to go to all the fuss and bother with marketing it etc. If your around and they know you, you may fall into a great deal that way, but by the time someone actually lists a boat etc., they are trying to get some money for it, or it's worth nothing and they are just trying to get rid of it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 14:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think your best bet is to become known around a marina or two, maybe a yacht club? Sometimes people get old or simply dis-interested with a boat and don't won't to go to all the fuss and bother with marketing it etc. If your around and they know you, you may fall into a great deal that way, but by the time someone actually lists a boat etc., they are trying to get some money for it, or it's worth nothing and they are just trying to get rid of it
Thanks, I am still waiting to hear back from the Yacht club at the semi local Marina, not sure how long it takes them to check there emails, but still waiting. Maybe I should think about moving in with my Nephew in Port St Lucie sooner than planned since I will be using his address as my home address and this will also be my future home port. It would put my in contact with more marinas than I will ever have here as well as places to work on the boat when needed. Is it even possible to raise the roof line on a boat and still keep it seaworthy in rough weather?
Old 16-08-2014, 16:08   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

A complete do up is a good idea only if you have the skills, the tools, the time and the bucks.

At the end of the day, a complete do up may end up the more expensive option compared to a more expensive initially, but more complete, a boat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 17:49   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Is it even possible to raise the roof line on a boat and still keep it seaworthy in rough weather?
Anything is possible. That does not mean that all things are practical, desirable or functionally useful.

Raising the "roof line" is a major undertaking in any design. Depending on the material involved (metal, FRP, timber) it may be feasible or not so much. Consider that first you are removing some structural stiffness from the hull/deck assembly. Second, you will need to replace or extend the bulkheads to match the new overhead, and those bulkheads are crucial structural components. Third, if there is a deck stepped mast, new structural support for the mast is needed. In short, besides making the boat look bloody funny (fugly, in fact) it will likely be expensive and detrimental to the seaworthiness of the boat.

We do have friends with an aluminium catamaran who did such a job. They cut off the deck house, welded in a riser and rewelded the house. Then welded extensions on the structural bulkheads and revamped much of the interior. Did a structurally sound job, but it looked a bit agricultural. Two years later they sold the boat... didn't like the way it had come out. Don't know how they did financially on the whole deal, but it didn't sound good from a distance!

There is usually a good reason that the designer came up with a given amount of head room, and it isn't often that he hates tall people! I think that you will need to learn to stoop or increase your ultimate budget.

You might have a look at the Columbia Yachts line of boats from the 70's or thereabout. Many of them (and they were not high priced boats) had very good headroom for their lengths.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 16-08-2014, 20:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Anything is possible. That does not mean that all things are practical, desirable or functionally useful.

Raising the "roof line" is a major undertaking in any design. Depending on the material involved (metal, FRP, timber) it may be feasible or not so much. Consider that first you are removing some structural stiffness from the hull/deck assembly. Second, you will need to replace or extend the bulkheads to match the new overhead, and those bulkheads are crucial structural components. Third, if there is a deck stepped mast, new structural support for the mast is needed. In short, besides making the boat look bloody funny (fugly, in fact) it will likely be expensive and detrimental to the seaworthiness of the boat.

We do have friends with an aluminium catamaran who did such a job. They cut off the deck house, welded in a riser and rewelded the house. Then welded extensions on the structural bulkheads and revamped much of the interior. Did a structurally sound job, but it looked a bit agricultural. Two years later they sold the boat... didn't like the way it had come out. Don't know how they did financially on the whole deal, but it didn't sound good from a distance!

There is usually a good reason that the designer came up with a given amount of head room, and it isn't often that he hates tall people! I think that you will need to learn to stoop or increase your ultimate budget.

You might have a look at the Columbia Yachts line of boats from the 70's or thereabout. Many of them (and they were not high priced boats) had very good headroom for their lengths.

Cheers,

Jim
Anyone know a place that has the cabin height data on the boats? I am finding that information hit and miss. So far the tallest cabin height I have found is 6'2". So now that raising the cabin roof is not a good idea, I'll just have to find one that fits my needs that also has the tallest cabin I can find so I'll stoop less.

Just to give you an idea of the heights we are talking about, this picture was taken May 24th of this year. The two guys in front, is my Dad and Brother. Dad is 5'10 and my brother is 5'11". That's me in the back and we are all standing on the same level floor.
Sent from my KFOT using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-08-2014, 20:30   #13

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken-Sailor View Post
Maybe I should think about moving in with my Nephew in Port St Lucie sooner than planned since I will be using his address as my home address and this will also be my future home port. It would put my in contact with more marinas than I will ever have here as well as places to work on the boat when needed.
I googled Port St Lucie. Looks like a good spot to get started in. Bet you'd find some good friends there too.

If you can get a boat you can move straight into your marina fees will hopefully be less than land rent and you'll be able to fund improvements.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 20:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
I googled Port St Lucie. Looks like a good spot to get started in. Bet you'd find some good friends there too.

If you can get a boat you can move straight into your marina fees will hopefully be less than land rent and you'll be able to fund improvements.
Yeah there in quite a few marinas in that area. He lives close to Jensen Beach. His roommate is getting married and moving out soon so as soon as I know something about this test in September I'll know more about when I can go there. Just have to pack my seabag and get to the airport. Or just wait till till he comes here this hunting season and ride back with him. I still need to talk with him more about it.

Sent from my KFOT using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-08-2014, 08:03   #15

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken-Sailor View Post
...I am looking to find a live aboard sailboat that will be able to navigate the ICW, the coast of the US, as well as cross oceans safely. So basically an shoal draft passage making live aboard boat...
Look for a boat, not a career in boat building, as you have pictured. Forget about major structural modifications. Get a big enough boat, or become accustomed to walking stooped over, as many others have (you really don't need standing headroom plus clearance).

Anything you buy for a few thousand $ is going to be a career.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote