Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2023, 15:02   #61

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Is the cost of the Atlantic Cruising Rally worth it?

When you get to the Canaries ask around. There are many informal radio nets for the crossing. In our case the first crossing we did Canaries to Caribbean included a planned rendezvous with several boats that we had wintered with in Turkey. We were joined by several others. We called it the NARC - Not the ARC. Also, one of the organizers was an English NARC - narcotics officer.

We did a twice a day radio net where we shared position and weather info. It was a lot of fun and something we all looked forward to. It gave us the freedom of leaving when were were ready and arriving at the port of our choice rather than being required to arrive in St. Lucia.

It added a lot of fun to the crossing and didn't cost us a cent.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 15:45   #62

Boat: Beneteau 46.1

So happy to have stumbled upon this thread as I am currently planning a west-east crossing this May and was wondering exactly the same thing.

I would NOT depart on a given date just because the itinerary said so regardless of the weather window. That's madness.

I think I'll try to keep track of the specific marinas they stay at and pick different ones.
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 18:34   #63

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs41escapade View Post
So happy to have stumbled upon this thread as I am currently planning a west-east crossing this May and was wondering exactly the same thing.

I would NOT depart on a given date just because the itinerary said so regardless of the weather window. That's madness.

I think I'll try to keep track of the specific marinas they stay at and pick different ones.
Thanks for necro-posting on this! You gave me an excuse to do this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonauta1 View Post
Common misconception re name Canary Islands: Wikipedia to the rescue. If you go, one sees signs to this effect in main centers

Quote The name Islas Canarias is likely derived from the Latin name Canariae Insulae, meaning "Islands of the Dogs", a name that was evidently generalized from the ancient name of one of these islands, Canaria – presumably Gran Canaria. According to the historian Pliny the Elder, the island Canaria contained "vast multitudes of dogs of very large size".[24]

The Atlantic canary (Serinus canaria), known worldwide simply as the wild canary and also called the island canary, common canary, or canary, is a small passerine bird belonging to the genus Serinus in the finch family, Fringillidae. It is native to the Canary Islands, the Azores, and Madeira. unquote
So there ARE canaries on the Canary Islands after alll?!?!? But I spent a season in St. Thomas once, and I can tell you I found no evidence of virgins in the Virgin Islands.
Old 24-01-2024, 22:08   #64

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapult Mike View Post
Thanks for necro-posting on this! You gave me an excuse to do this:

So there ARE canaries on the Canary Islands after alll?!?!? But I spent a season in St. Thomas once, and I can tell you I found no evidence of virgins in the Virgin Islands.
I think I must have been there before you.
Old 25-01-2024, 04:47   #65

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapult Mike View Post
But I spent a season in St. Thomas once, and I can tell you I found no evidence of virgins in the Virgin Islands.
Modesty forbids me from explaining why

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 03:13   #66

Boat: Leopard 40

We found joining the rally worth it. We did not leave with the rally or join the race. We left a day before because of the weather. Chris Parker did our weather for our Atlantic crossing. You'll have trouble staying at the same marinas because the rally is so large. You also get discounts with the rally.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising