Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2019, 16:44   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Is the macgregor 26 on Sea really so bad as they say

Why on earth would you want a full keeled slug as a family coastal day sailor?

The macgregor would be totally fine for that
Old 18-06-2019, 16:45   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is the macgregor 26 on Sea really so bad as they say

He's looking for a day trailer/sailer to play along Med beaches on nice days and go shallow up near beaches not a full keel heavyweight lump that needs a marina berth.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 16:49   #33
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
What does this prove that has not already been stated? That the Mac’s are not suitable for offshore work? Nobody has stated that, the OP is looking for a day sailor, not a 26 foot circumnavigator. If the capable boats you listed all would require a substantial trailer and a 1 tom truck, minimum to move it around. So even if you could find one of the above mentioned boats for the same price as a Mac you’d still need to most likely custom fabricate a trailer and buy a $10k used truck so you can go day sailing.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 17:02   #34
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The 26S is a **completely** different boat from a 26X or 26M.

To the point their qualities should not even be discussed in the same thread IMO too confusing.

But for "seaworthiness" cruising far away from shore, there is a very strong consensus across all the sailing forums than none of them rate any consideration

even less so for long passage making, any definition of water sailing">blue water sailing.

Now, the 26X or 26M used as a powerboat with a powerful outboard, could in theory cover a lot of NM in nice calm waters, but the weather prediction then becomes the critical factor to your survival.

Which does not sound like a good idea to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCZ View Post
as a family coastal boat and strictly as a daysailer, so only sailing when the weather forecast is good, and by evening safely anchored. Would be interested to know if this limited scenario is plausible with the MacGregor, or if even for this scenario the boat is just not suited, thanks.
OK, as long as you don't mind what the "real sailor" types think of you, ugly-American stereotypes etc

And even if of no concern, personally I'd rather have better seaworthiness even if sudden unexpected changes in conditions never happened while my family was aboard.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 17:13   #35

Boat: Newport 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
We owned and sailed our 26S a lot for more than 20 years.
It was perfect for exploring far flung areas and with the keel up we could beach it almost anywhere.
It was quick to rig, (we often launched quicker than powerboats) and cheap to maintain.
As far as rigging strength is concerned, it is more than adequate for its size. A local racer frequently embarrassed newer race boats costing many times as much.
There was a blog by someone who sailed one to South America. His trick in a storm was to raise the keel, batten the hatches, and bob around like a cork.
It couldn't get knocked down with the keel up.
The 26 power sailors are a completely different boat. I've never owned one but, in light air, we could literally sail circles around them. If the weather looked like it was getting ugly their 50 horses got them home in a hurry. And, as was said, they have a lot of room for their size.
Buy it and try it. The used market for them is brisk so you're not going to take a big hit.

Couldn't agree more! Our 26S was tons of fun for very little cost. As far as I'm concerned, this was the best Mac model: good sail boat, shoal draft, lots of internal room and trailer-able. Now have a Newport 30 and as much as we love her, moorage in Vancouver will bankrupt us eventually
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 17:13   #36

Without addressing the MaGregor, consider this. In the factual book, A Voyage for Madmen, there's an account of two men, who didn't even really like each other, crossing the Atlantic in a rowboat...twice.
That said, reading an account of anyone who has done ANYTHING with ANY boat ANYWHERE no longer has any bearing on feasibility, credibility, or sanity.
Do what you need to...just don't take anyone else's life along.
PatMc57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 17:20   #37

Boat: O'Day 40

They built and sold more than 5000 of them. Probably introduced more people to sailing than any other marque in the world.
When I wanted an affordable sailboat to get started in sailing it was as cheap as a used beat up Catalina 27 and I didn't need to pay for moorage.
Keel up and ballast tanks empty meant every boat launch and even gravel beaches were suitable for launching.
Unsinkable was a feature that meant those afraid of a heeling sailboat were reassured. The kids loved sitting on the low side and getting the rail into the water.
Old 18-06-2019, 17:34   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The video of the Mac 26 sailing in "gale warning" conditions is a bit suss in my view. When I have sailed in gale force winds, the wind has been blowing the tops off the waves and picking up spume in between them. What we saw looked like 20-25 knot winds, but with somewhat larger seas than normally associated with such wind strength.

One should remember that gale warnings say winds MAY reach gale force during the forecast period, not that they will be such all the time.

As to the OP's question about use in the Med... I keep reading here on CF that sea and wind conditions can change very rapidly on those waters, and often in an unforecast way. If this is really so, very careful planning should be part of his usage, for I foo doubt the Mac's abilities in the sea state developing rapidly in a severe squall.

Jim
Old 18-06-2019, 17:36   #39

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCZ View Post
In a scenario of daysailing in the region of the Medditeran Sea, in coastal areas, how much sense does this boat make?

I heard of people who crossed from Italy to Greece with the boat, but at the same time more often this is reported to be a boat for lakes rather than sea, and as not sea worthy, does anyone has actual experience with the boat, was someone sailing, motosailing it in the Medditeran Sea?

Would be interested to know if this limited scenario is plausible with the MacGregor, or if even for this scenario the boat is just not suited, thanks.

The first boat I owned was a MacGregor 26S. I sailed her out of Ventura, CA into the Pacific to the various nearby Channel Islands. I liked the boat, for what I used her for. She was inexpensive, had a trailer, centerboard, sink, and porta-potty. I believe the boat design seaworthy to cross the Adriatic in good weather. For example, from Ancona towards Zadar (less than 100nm), or Otranto to Corfu, but not for Sircusa, Sicily to Souda Bay, Crete. That said I think you would be pushing your own limits. I didn’t have an autopilot, but I imagine one could be rigged. I’m sure a windvane might be attached and rigged too. However, both items are not inexpensive, and one consumes lots of electricity that would have to be replaced. The boat just isn’t designed for longer passages, but crossing the Adriatic could be done with a crew of two or three.
Old 18-06-2019, 17:42   #40
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Friend of mine had one, which I went out on a couple of times. Fine for day sailing in good conditions, but as soon as the wind picks up it was all over the place and not very pleasant to sail. It was also a major PITA to get back on the trailer in a cross wind - It was so much trouble that in the end he hardly used the boat. Also if you are not storing it on the hard next to a ramp, stepping the mast is a big time consumer!
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 18:19   #41

My name is Capt. Vince R. I was a marine surveyor for 20 years, built 6 boats and 2 planes. I own a Mac 26X, they are fantastic little boats. I also, most of my life as a marine surveyor, po-poed the Macs. Thats from listening to others, and like myself, never surveyed one. When I retired, I wanted a trailerable sailboat, that I could scoot around the states with and that could launched and rigged easily. The Mac was always coming up, so I looked into them in earnest.
Here is my findings that is fact and not supposition.
1. The way they are built and assembled, strengthens the hull dramatically.
2. Those that say they push on the hull, it flexes, there lying. It does not
without great force. Pushing on the side of a Hunter, O'Day, Catalina,
pushes in as much or more than a Mac 26 X and M's.
3. Go to YouTube, these boats abound all around Australia. There also all
over the Med, the Scandavian countries, France and Italy. All over
Michigan and great lakes some of the worst waters in the world. This
vessel will take a lot more than the people aboard.
4. I know a lot of Mac owners, none of them dislike there vessels, they just
improve on them, as I have done. Most Mac owners have had them for 5-
10 years, if they did not like them, they would have sold them and got
something else.
5. I find that most people that say they don't sail well, do'nt know how to sail.
Putting an adjustable back stay to control mast flex, a stronger Cunningham to actually flatten the main and just not used for a jibe preventer. And knowing that the centerboard can be raised and lowered to move center of effort for trim. The boat out sails a lot of other 26' pure sail boats. Point being, you have to know how to sail. You have to remember, Roger designed these boats for a shoe salesman from Atlanta, could learn to sail, stay out with family and friends.
But to answere the mans questions, YES, you can sail just about any where you wish to sail in coastal waters. Watch all the YOUTUBEs you can, just put in Macgregor 26 X or M. You will find these all over the world, owners love them, as I have a whole new respect for them. I've crossed the GulfStream a dozen times, sailed all over the Bahamas as well as going down to Jamaica. Great little boat.
6. Whats really cool, you can beach it like a canoe, get into anchorages you
never dreamed of. My 60' schooner "Altair" I had for six years, it drew 7
foot of water just to float it. Had to anchor 200M from shore, now I can
walk to shore......
Just remember, the ones that are ragging on the Macs have never owned one, most have never sailed one. My personal hands on experience, they are great little boats that do quite well for being a sail/power boat. Oh yes, one last thing, coming into shore, the wind and tide is on the nose, crank up the engine and your in harbor less than an hour, that's because you can do 20 knots under power, vs. 5 knots with a standard sail boat. it beats a standard sailboat with coming into a strange harbor at night. Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 19:11   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
The 26S is a **completely** different boat from a 26X or 26M.

To the point their qualities should not even be discussed in the same thread IMO too confusing.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Critical distinction. Very important.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 04:43   #43

Boat: Minicat 310 Sport

I see that the Mac still polarizes
I understand it's not a boat for voyages, not even for passages to major Islands, but rather small coastal trips, that is fine with me. Seems it should be fine in the coasts of Adria, which is a small and calm part of the over all Mediterranean Sea (sure every sea can get harsh)
Thanks a lot for the opinions, I'm glad I got feedback from actual owners.
DanielCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 09:10   #44

Boat: MacGregor 26S

I've been sailing M26S (S is important and already mentioned) Georgian Bay for about 10 years.
Started with crew of 4 plus a dog, now down to dog and I, passages up to 8-10hrs, sailing winds up to 35kn and 6f swell (just don't forget to fold down a Bimini when running ), can be perfectly balanced in moderate winds and run for hrs under poor-man-autopilot (piece of rope + bunggee cord).
Never any hardware failure.
Would strongly advise a rudder upgrade.
Switching to a different boat as my objectives are changing, will miss it though.

Perfect boat for intended application by OP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dog&boat.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	194260  
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 15:32   #45

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Why on earth would you want a full keeled slug as a family coastal day sailor?

The macgregor would be totally fine for that
Looks like you have very little experience which is unfortunate because someone might actually listen to what you have to say.

The Macgregor 26 has a PHRF rating of around 222. My full keel slug is 240. Any experienced sailor/racer would easily beat a Macgregor and if the wind and waves got up, there's no contest. A full keeled slug would totally kick ass!!!

If you want your family safe, go for the full keeled slug.

Mine was $2,000.

Last Friday, I sailed my full keeled slug home in winds gusting to 29 knots on a coastal cruise.. My slug plus autopilot handled it well I would have been very worried if I was on a Macgregor since I was very tired. My slug plus autopilot handled it wellt well.

But if you want to take the family out for a couple hours close to land on a nice day the Mac would be a fine choice. Started on beach cats and usually stayed within 15 miles of the shoreline

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, macgregor