Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2019, 16:04   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Is the macgregor 26 on Sea really so bad as they say

Here's another coastal full keeled slug fest. You wanna be on a 2000 lb Mac or a 6600 lb Full keeled slug that's just as fast in light air and much faster in big wind and waves

Conditions sometimes can change quickly even along the coast

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02025.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	194287   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02022.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	194288  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02029.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	194289   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02028.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	194290  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 01:02   #47

Boat: Minicat 310 Sport

I think you will hardly find anyone who would not agree that a full keel is safer, takes more beating, just remember we are still in trailer sailer discussions here, that is one of the important aspects, look I would love a Dana 24, or Albin Vega 27, or any other pocket BW cruiser, just the tow limit of most family cars, is around 2t (>4000lbs) the trailer it self usually gets around 1000lbs give or take. Sure if the budget would not be limited Seascape makes a perfect one https://www.thinkseascape.com/boat/s...s-on-holidays/ so back to the question, is the compromise done by Mac builder a good one, and it is a polarizing question, that will never be resolved as everyone has his own preferences, and I'm grateful for every response
DanielCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 03:15   #48

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

My dad had one. I sailed it a few times, to make sure my dad wasn't going to get hurt in it. I pushed it quite hard, single handed, on the first day in 25 knots, and was impressed.

Fill the ballast tank, and it's quite a pleasant little sail boat. I would certainly consider buying one, when I "retire" from cruising. I liked it quite a lot, for what it is. Motors at about 20 knots with a 50 hp honda.

As mentioned, it doesn't point all that well, but it's not a racer. It's as roomy as two Shark 24s.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 06:42   #49

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

WHY risk your life ?
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 07:01   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is the macgregor 26 on Sea really so bad as they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
WHY risk your life ?
One risks ones life every day, whats the big deal..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 08:04   #51

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I don't see the risk. Are you planning to cross an ocean in it?

I crossed the street the other day... it was a busy one too.

I made it across ok though.

Is there a "pat on the back" emojii?

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 11:47   #52

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Looks like you have very little experience which is unfortunate because someone might actually listen to what you have to say.

The Macgregor 26 has a PHRF rating of around 222. My full keel slug is 240. Any experienced sailor/racer would easily beat a Macgregor and if the wind and waves got up, there's no contest. A full keeled slug would totally kick ass!!!

If you want your family safe, go for the full keeled slug.

Mine was $2,000.

Last Friday, I sailed my full keeled slug home in winds gusting to 29 knots on a coastal cruise.. My slug plus autopilot handled it well I would have been very worried if I was on a Macgregor since I was very tired. My slug plus autopilot handled it wellt well.

But if you want to take the family out for a couple hours close to land on a nice day the Mac would be a fine choice. Started on beach cats and usually stayed within 15 miles of the shoreline
Don't get me wrong, you have a really nice boat but I still think a macgregor would be way better for what he wants - can be beached and trailored easily and it sounds like the availability is a lot better there.

No offense was meant by 'slug' by the way - they have their advantages (and they tend to be v pretty), but no-one ever called a contessa fast or agile.
Old 20-06-2019, 12:23   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCZ View Post
Can you please be more specific, what disappointed the owners, performance, safety, comfort, bouncing of the waves? Was it on lakes or Sea?
The sailing was on the Chesapeake Bay and the Great Lakes. Boat failed to sail to windward , uncomfortable in moderate chop, very tender.
scottgledhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 12:37   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Don't get me wrong, you have a really nice boat but I still think a macgregor would be way better for what he wants - can be beached and trailored easily and it sounds like the availability is a lot better there.

No offense was meant by 'slug' by the way - they have their advantages (and they tend to be v pretty), but no-one ever called a contessa fast or agile.
The Macgregor would certainly work as a day sailor but showing one in big wind and waves as if that's it's thing could confuse people and possibly make them conclude it's made for that

Btw the Contessa 26 is a very nice looking boat but slow and small like a Vega 27

My boat is slow (and small but I do have head room for 3/4 the cabin) but I had always wanted to try sailing an old full keel boat for a few years. I've had fast and good performing

I raced beach cats in Florida for years. Some of them were very high tech with high aspect ratio mains, boards, rudders, plus spinnakers. Great pointing and high speed downwind runs

I lived at an apartment complex and kept the boats tied down just above high water. The hangout though was the dock. If you lived in the apartment, you could get a slip for $50.00 per month

This place at the time wasn't in the best part of town but I didn't care. It was on the water and close to work and I had finally gotten back to the coast. Pensacola, FL!

Well most of the crowd at/on the dock were aging full keel boat sailors. A total cast of characters. Their boat looked tough and strong.

My boats could hit 25 knots and I could finish a 100 mile race in 10-12 hours but those old full keel boats were very salty looking

Btw, those fella could tell some tales about sailing. We'd walk the docks in the evenings drinking beer (or whatever) and these guys would make comments on the good and bad of each boat there. Great info for a sailor that had only sailed beach cats and dinghies

So I ended up with this Bristol when I got back up here.
Old 20-06-2019, 12:59   #55

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

One of the first years, if not the first year that the 26X was on the market one beat 100 foot multihulls to the finish line in the Newport Ensenada race.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 15:55   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
One of the first years, if not the first year that the 26X was on the market one beat 100 foot multihulls to the finish line in the Newport Ensenada race.
So what does that mean? The multihulls were where the wind wasn't?

The 26X has a very high PHRF. It's like 222 which means it's a slow boat that won't point. And sadly it's very light so it's good in heavy weather

As an example, a Catalina 30 has a PHRF of around 174

Olson 30 PHRF 108.

So who's kidding who?
Old 20-06-2019, 16:24   #57

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Sounds like if you are okay with the basic sailing qualities, it's a great shallow draft and trailerable boat, with a lot of room, and the ability to get up and go 15 mph or so - as another option.

A lot of fun for a family, which strengthens families, or a single person who likes to get away. Good entry into the hobby, with the emphasis on fun and accessibility. Those who really like it will develop a good foundation in basic sailing skills, and then are well set to go to a larger boat - from a better understanding of boats in general.

I think boats like the Macgregor, and also the Catalina 22, are a great way to get people out from behind the screens, and into the environment and having some real fun. Good memories are made, even if they don't seem like it at the time, and once a person enjoys the water - they tend to care more about the environment, and that's good for anyone like us.

I think those of us in the hobby should be actually talking these kinds of boats up - and not bashing them as not capable of rounding Cape Horn - when they were never offered for that. Sure, you want to make people understand that they should not treat the boat as an offshore ocean sailor, but it's usually the rare person who doesn't understand that pretty quickly. They are great at what they were intended for though. They also last, and are readily available.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 17:20   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is the macgregor 26 on Sea really so bad as they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
So what does that mean? The multihulls were where the wind wasn't?

The 26X has a very high PHRF. It's like 222 which means it's a slow boat that won't point. And sadly it's very light so it's good in heavy weather

As an example, a Catalina 30 has a PHRF of around 174

Olson 30 PHRF 108.

So who's kidding who?
No one is trying to kid anyone..
The OP asked if the boat was okay for a certain purpose and many answered that it was.. and it is,
I doubt he has any intention of racing it round the cans or sailing it to Italy.. though it could be done following the coast and weather windows.
Okay.. We get it, you like your boat but it cant do what a Mac can any more than a Mac can do what yours is capable of.. Horses for courses.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 18:17   #59

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Not to get too far off track - but I'd bet that any of us personally - when we were kids - would have loved to have spent a weekend night camping out on a boat, swimming, sailing and having some real fun with our Mom or Dad. Kids today aren't really getting as much of that as we did - if any.

The constant pull & peer pressure to get all your fun and life from a video screen - is only getting worse. Families do not do much together nearly as much as in the past. If you have any friends with kids, and they have any interest in getting outdoors - I'd encourage any of them to think of getting into something like this. I think the kids alone would thank you for it, years later. If we had more people looking at easy-entry things like this, we might be better off - in a lot of ways. We'd also have better facilities, more political money, and a better overall environment for boating and access in the coming years.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 18:29   #60

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post

But not my idea of sensible sailing!
Not a single claim in that video rings true except that two red flags means a gale warning .

That said, there is a guy here who I see sailing his 26 out to the islands now and then, and he seems to be fine, but I confess I have not sailed one and I'd probably prefer not to. Oh and he doesn't anchor, he just runs it up on the beach.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, macgregor