Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2019, 05:34   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Is there a 2000poundish boat you would actually go out with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCZ View Post
I have studied a bit more about small sailboat cruising, especially Roger Taylor and his MingMing voyages, one think is not mentioned here that seems to made his voyages possible in terrible conditions, the Jordan Series Drogue, https://www.yachtingworld.com/featur...s-drogue-63180
I will open a separate discussion or look it up here.
Seems to be something to be mentioned within this discussion.
There are a number of threads relating to JSDs, either specifically or as part of heavy weather tactics discussion.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:47   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

I stumbled across this story buried on my computer this morning. The internet was down at home.

It's the story of a competitor sailing his boat back to mainland USA from Hawaii on his Merit 25 after the 1986 Single Hand Transpac Race

There are a few pictures of his boat in this link also

https://pacificcup.org/sites/default...ce-the-fun.pdf
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:10   #33

Boat: Minicat 310 Sport

One more, and quite insane - Leisure 17, more than one nuts single handed sailor crossed the Atlantic in this 1500lbs sailboat. It really seems to be more about the sailor than the boat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leisure_17
DanielCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:21   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Many people have crossed oceans in the smallest of boats, easily under 2000 pounds....and they lived to tell their story. So design is a huge factor in seaworthiness....the greatest factor I would say, not taking into consideration the human safety factor. But on the other hand, weight is a huge factor in comfort. Size or weight is less so a factor in seaworthiness compared to weight....but it does matter. I would rather be out in a large ship than a tiny boat in a storm, mostly for comfort's sake...assuming both were designed safely enough.

And yes, the knowledge, experience and personality of the person in charge and crew obviously relates to safety.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 15:38   #35

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I have a Cal20 in part due to their reputation for being able to go offshore.
2 have gone California to Hawai’i.
1 made it USA to Europe.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:58   #36

Boat: Minicat 310 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Way less than 2,500lbs and also proven in Jester Cup and Circumnav is the Tiki 21. You could even go w a bit bigger Wharram and still stay under 2,500. A friend of mine has circumnavigated and did well in the Jester Cup aboard one.

Cookie's Jester Challenge 2010

Boatie used to have a Wharram as I recall.
Got me a while to study Wharram deeper, I asked this within the monohull discussion, but it is a interesting one, especially the newest kit, Mana 24,https://www.wharram.com/site/self-build-boats/mana24 it can be ordered CNC precut, wow, guess building a boat is much simpler now. It is a cat, I have not considered those, but this is a very interesting project.
DanielCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:07   #37
KTP

I think a guy on a Montgomery 17 has sailed from the USA to the south Pacific. (we have a 2005 M17 but haven't gone very far offshore in it)
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:32   #38

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCZ View Post
Got me a while to study Wharram deeper, I asked this within the monohull discussion, but it is a interesting one, especially the newest kit, Mana 24,https://www.wharram.com/site/self-build-boats/mana24 it can be ordered CNC precut, wow, guess building a boat is much simpler now. It is a cat, I have not considered those, but this is a very interesting project.
Yes, a cat, and a well proven seaworthy design too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:32   #39

No, there are no 2000 lbish boats I would go out with. There'd be nowhere I could take them. Dinner? A movie? Forget it.
wfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:08   #40

Boat: John G. Alden transitional schooner, 60' Length on Deck

I would point out that Webb Child just sailed around the world single handed in a Moore-24. It weighs 2,050 lbs and made the passage safely and quickly, sailing faster and more comfortably than most heat boats.

Light is often far better than heavy.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:32   #41

It’s not a sailboat but I used to own a Boston Whaler Montauk. It was without a doubt the most seaworthy vessel I’ve ever owned. 1700 lbs bare hull, 177 lbs 90hp Evinrude ETEC.
wing15601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:36   #42
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

What's a "heat boat"?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:13   #43

Boat: John G. Alden transitional schooner, 60' Length on Deck

Two additional comments:

First, I've owned Moore-24 #86 since it was built in 1981. (Clearly, I have a bias,) We have sailed it all sorts of conditions in which heavy boats would have had tremendous difficulty. This includes the Santa Ana winds of my home town, LA. In situations where full keelboats are simply buried by the seas, the little Moore goes over the wave, not through it. Not only is it faster to go over waves, but it's also far safer. Final comment, Moore-24s have won the Farallon Island race more than any other type of boat, single-handed, double-handed, and fully crewed. This is a race that is often sailed in winds well above 25-30 knots in seas that are large enough to break in 30' of water. Moreover, Moore-24s have raced to Hawaii and won in the Pacific Cup about as much as any design. I don't know what other evidence of seaworthiness one might want, but these little boats have been places hardly any of us will ever go and never missed a beat.

Second, I've raced for decades aboard Express-27s. They are fine boats except for one flaw. Carl Schumacher wanted to design a boat that was faster than a Moore and had a bit more room below for cruising. To increase stability, Schumacher ran the beam aft into a rather wide transom. That increased the speed of the boat, especially upwind. However, it also meant that when the boat is heeling a lot the top of the rudder comes out of the water. That's fine if the crew is on their toes, but it presents a serious problem when trying to steer in large waves downwind or if the autopilot is steering. The problem is that when there is air present around the top of the rudder while it is loaded up, the air travels down the unloaded side of the rudder and causes it to stall. This manifests itself as an immediate round-up. Primarily, for this reason, the Express has never been as popular offshore as the Moore.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:23   #44

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
What's a "heat boat"?
Probably meant heavy.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 21:46   #45

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
On the old windjammers when everyone shared a tot of rum, they called it "Splicing the mainbrace." The mainbrace, the heart of the ship, was its crew.
Actually, this is incorrect. The main brace - i.e. the rope that 'braced' the main mast - was a bugger of a thing to splice being (depending on vessel size) like 6" or so in diameter, so having to do that in an emergency was one of the toughest jobs aboard, and os frequently the Captain would reward the riggers with a tot of rum after completion of the job.

This became, in time, a euphemism for a tot of rum after hard work, or for an extra tot of rum in bad conditions.

A tot was about a pint, of which around a third was rum, with the rest being lemon or lime juice and water. This was the daily ration, served with the main meal.

So not just a dram or shot of rum, straight up, as you might expect.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat