Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 17:15   #1

Lightbulb Is there a Seasonal Price Variation on Boats ?

I'm looking for my first boat soon and hoping to have better negotiating power in this so-so economy and, especially, the winter. Am I smoking something? And, if not, will someone please pass the peace pipe?
discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 17:27   #2

Boat: mt34dt
Re: seasonal price variation on boats?

Any better environment and folks will be paying you to take their boat...seriously, find the boat you like, negotiate hard and be willing to walk away---anytime of year works if you can walk away.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 17:37   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Here in Seattle the fall season does make a little difference. They'd rather sell now then wait all winter paying slip fees. Sellers market starts after the Jan.- Feb. boat show. The glitter gets people excited.
Old 14-11-2011, 05:38   #4

Re: Is there a Seasonal Price Variation on Boats ?

For smaller boats, the difference between beginning of season and end of season can practically mean whether or not you can get the boat essentially for free. In most locations, winter storage, haul out, and cleaning means a thousand dollars or more -obviously depending on vessel size. If you're in the market for a small 2-5K sailboat ( and there's a huge inventory selection of used stuff), you can deduct the cost of storage,haul out, and cleaning off the top if you buy before the owner makes that commitment. After he/she have plunked down that money, they are less motivated to accept a low ball offer and will be more inclined to use the boat the following season.
apparition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 05:45   #5

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by apparition View Post
For smaller boats, the difference between beginning of season and end of season can practically mean whether or not you can get the boat essentially for free. In most locations, winter storage, haul out, and cleaning means a thousand dollars or more -obviously depending on vessel size. If you're in the market for a small 2-5K sailboat ( and there's a huge inventory selection of used stuff), you can deduct the cost of storage,haul out, and cleaning off the top if you buy before the owner makes that commitment. After he/she have plunked down that money, they are less motivated to accept a low ball offer and will be more inclined to use the boat the following season.
This is mostly true. I haven't seen the asking price go down just because winter is approaching, but the seller may be much more willing to bargain to get it sold before they have to spend the money on winter haulout.

But, if they're already asking a really low price (like $5000 for ex.) What's better? Getting it for $4000 then putting it up for winter yourself? or offering maybe $4500 After it's already been laid up and storage paid for the season?

I paid the winter storage/haulout for my boat when I bought it. Considered it part of the deal, but it was still a really good price after everything was settled, so I was happy. However, If I had waited 2 or 3 more weeks (and nobody else bought it), I could have given him the asking price and saved myself $900.

It all really just depends on the immediate situation. But I do see a lot more boats go up on the market at the end of the season. Particularly on the lower end of the market.
Old 14-11-2011, 09:51   #6

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Here in Seattle the fall season does make a little difference. They'd rather sell now then wait all winter paying slip fees. Sellers market starts after the Jan.- Feb. boat show. The glitter gets people excited.
It's pretty much the same in the Northeast U.S.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 18:11   #7

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Up here in Toronto, prices seem to dip toward the fall, as people try to save on the storage. Once they are stuck with it, the prices start to climb in march through about july. Then they start to fall a bit in the run down to haul out.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 12:31   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Depends on what kind of boat you're looking for? If you're looking for a cruiser there is also a destination drop in prices. Places where cruisers lose the dream, and just want off the boat.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 14:50   #9

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

I think there's far more variation in the individual seller's situation than there is in season to season variation.

In other words, I wouldn't bother to wait until fall to make offers.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote