Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 20:48   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Is there Something Wrong with My New Reef Points ?

Hello all,

I recently got my Pearson 26's mainsail back from Sailcare. I had them clean it and add a set of reef points. (I am very pissed at them about several whopping charges they tacked on to the bill, but I will leave those complaints for another post.)

When I got the sail up and looked at the new reef points, I noticed they did not install a cringle at the luff of the sail. It was my understanding that there should be a cringle to hook onto the reef hook at the tack end of the boom.

Is there something I am missing here? Do they expect me to tie down the bolt ropes instead of using a cringle at the tack? Or did they forget to add a cringle here? They did add a reinforced cringle at the leech, but nothing at the luff (to be the new tack when reefed).

Can anyone clear this up for me so I don't make a fool of myself when I call to complain? Thanks.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 20:53   #2

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
If what you asked for was "a set of reef points" that would normally imply the inclusion of a reefing tack cringle on the luff.

I think that there is such a thing as a diagonal reef that only raises the boom at the clew, but its unusual.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 21:29   #3

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Is there a ring sewn onto webbing in the area? What I've usually seen is the webbing going through a cringle to another ring though.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 21:58   #4

Boat: Swan 56
You should have a cringle on the luff, or a ring sewn into the sail.

Depending on what is on your boom for securing the reef, you may need a ring each side with webbing going throught the cringle. Like this
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:34   #5

Unfortunately now I have to go back and take another look at it. There might have been a ring, but only on one side. I don't think there was anything, but I better be sure before I call up and yell at them. I will let you guys know, thanks.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
... Can anyone clear this up for me so I don't make a fool of myself when I call to complain? Thanks.
You could call to ASK, rather than to complain.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:05   #7

Good point, GordMay, but I would rather figure out if there is something wrong first. If there isn't anything wrong I won't call at all. If there is, I am afraid the nature of my call would be a polite complaint. I need to take another good look at the sail and figure out what it looks like and what it should look like and if they are the same thing.

Thanks for the responses and for the pic. That is very helpful.
Old 15-06-2010, 13:53   #8

They did indeed forget the cringle. I am sending it back to them tomorrow to have it fixed. Very frustrating, I have to say. They are careful enough to add on and charge me for every little thing they can think of to justify doing, but they fail to complete the only job I really needed done in the first place. That's pretty basic quality control. I would not use them again.