Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2019, 20:21   #16

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Is This a Disturbing Trend, or Not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
How do you know what course you will encounter when you leave port?

The prudent marina would be keeping an eye (and more) on the weather and ensuring that they had potential alternative routes / alternative harbours planned. We all know weather reports have the potential to lead you into trouble, so if the passage was such that no reasonable opportunity existed to escape bad weather than the boat would need to be configured for all possibilities. Hope for the best and plan for the worst, as the old adage says.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 20:39   #17
cruiser

I’ve never understood the desire to hang as much stuff as possible off expensive monkey bars mounted off the stern.

Maybe it brings back pleasant memories...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54EE1EFE-5122-46BD-8218-60F0E3D443E7.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	190565  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 21:24   #18

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

No matter what people do, ......Darwin.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 21:40   #19

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I’ve never understood the desire to hang as much stuff as possible off expensive monkey bars mounted off the stern.

Maybe it brings back pleasant memories...
Weren't you just arguing that hanging a large dinghy with a big outboard on davits while offshore was good seamenship?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 22:23   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Or one of them will go overboard while trying to rescue a kayak that is half hanging off the boat.
That's exactly what I was thinking of, or get injured. Once the item is being thrown around, you can't just sit and watch it. Someone will have to do something about it. If it just washed away that would be fine, but that's probably not what will happen.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 22:27   #21
cruiser

Attachment 190568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Weren't you just arguing that hanging a large dinghy with a big outboard on davits while offshore was good seamenship?
I realize you’re just looking once again to start an argument. Oysters are designed from the original drawing board to have a robust davit system which hangs low off the stern for a large dinghy.

NOT monkey bars added after the fact 10-12 feet up in the air off the stern on boats not designed to have the contraption placed there with a dinghy swinging back and forth. Totally different... but nice try.

Personally... I couldn’t care any less about what other cruisers do with their boats, but as stated earlier... I just don’t understand why they’d choose to intentionally mess up the look and balance of their boat by adding the monkey bars.. (see post #17)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	353858D5-7FF3-426B-8151-670E2AD3E712.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	190569   Click image for larger version

Name:	2FE9900E-D20F-4EF8-A6A4-B82FF2019BF2.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	190570  

Old 21-04-2019, 22:52   #22

Trolling, trolling, trolling...keep those boaters trolling...troll on (to the theme from rawhide).

The pictures tell me absolutely nothing:
- They could be coastal sailors who watch the weather closely before going out for short sails.
- They might just be liveaboards who never go out.
- They might have means to stow everything when they go out.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 23:03   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Trolling, trolling, trolling...keep those boaters trolling...troll on (to the theme from rawhide).

The pictures tell me absolutely nothing:
- They could be coastal sailors who watch the weather closely before going out for short sails.
- They might just be liveaboards who never go out.
- They might have means to stow everything when they go out.
I’ve stated a personal opinion on the subject being discussed, which is OK to do so the last time I checked the forum rules. If you want to add all that stuff 12 feet up in the air off the stern of your boat, please go ahead and do it... I couldn’t care any less, but.....

Just like the OP who started this thread, I personally won’t understand your logic behind doing it.
Old 21-04-2019, 23:18   #24

Quote:
I’ve stated a personal opinion on the subject being discussed, which is OK to do so the last time I checked the forum rules. If you want to add all that stuff 12 feet up in the air off the stern of your boat, please go ahead and do it... I couldn’t care any less, but.....

Just like the OP who started this thread, I personally won’t understand your logic behind doing it.
Is it really that high? The picture looks distorted. Not sure if it's the angle of the photo or they used some sort of fish eye lens. Or maybe it is that high...but...

If they spend most of their time at anchor or at dock, it's a convenient place to store the dingy. No harm to it.

The OP implied they go offshore without stowing anything...if they stow all the stuff inside, the arch with solar panels by itself is unlikely to represent an issue. Maybe not your aesthetic cup of tea but no grave danger to be "disturbed" about.

Show that same boat crashing thru 10 footers and it's a different discussion.

So in response to the title of the thread: It is not a disturbing trend.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 23:42   #25
cruiser

Height above waterline?

Freeboard 3ft

Bottom of dinghy above deck level 3-4ft

Dinghy thickness 18 inches

Distance above dinghy to base of bars 3-4ft

Solar panels 1-3ft

3+3+1.5+3.5+1=11ft minimum above water or 7-8ft above deck

Ladder steps are traditionally 12 inches in height and there’s five of them leading to the top of the arch. Then there’s a good two feet of stuff stacked above the top.

Regarding your coastal cruiser assumption... there are several yellow diesel jerry cans on deck covered with green covers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3B767508-A9F2-4A62-BC40-3D9B80C3D5DF.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	190579  
Old 22-04-2019, 03:30   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I’m a serial offender of this crime. We are dumping some stuff off the arch. And we’ve a few Jerry fans.

In self defense our old cc has very little deck accessible storage space so the lifelines and arch make up some storage deficiency. No davits though.

That said, I saw a very nice high end cruiser sitting in the water at a SS fab shop. It was an aft cockpit. They had a fairly big arch recently installed and really hefty SS railing from the arch to just forward of the cockpit. Then I looked at the waterline. At the bow it was up about 6”.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 07:35   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Is This a Disturbing Trend, or Not.

This whole thing is silly. It depends on the intended use of the boat, and to some extent the size of the boat.
Myself, I have no intent, ever of going around the Horn, nor do I ever intend to be in ice so I’m not concerned that my boat isn’t ice rated.

Now I don’t carry Kayaks on my boat, but if I did, I’d consider them as a jettisonable load, that is if I got into weather that bad, I’d set them free.
I carry a dinghy on davits largely because the size of dinghy I want to do the kind of cruising that we do requires a 10’ or bigger one with a big motor, and that isn’t a roll up.
I have never, ever found anyone that has been pooped in an IP, and I have looked. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen or course, but the stern is high and the dinghy much higher.
Any kind of weather that makes that even remotely possible would have me laying to my sea anchor anyway and being pooped isn’t very likely then.
As far as it offsetting the balance of the boat, it won’t if you load properly, look at the picture, yes I am down a few inches from the unloaded waterline, but she is level, maybe the dinghy, davits etc offset the 67kg of anchor I have on the bow and the 100m of chain?
No she doesn’t hobby horse either although I’m sure not all boats can carry so much weight on the ends and not.

Name:	IMG_0564.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	190590
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 07:54   #28

Personally I have no problem with coastal cruisers hanging stuff all over their boats. With today’s weather forecasts they are normally safe from any real surprises and most only daysail so can always return if things start to get tougher than forecast. Davits are pretty handy for these folks so I get why they are popular. One other point, only one in a thousand will ever cross an ocean and that individual will likely set his boat up differently.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 08:07   #29

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Attachment 190568
I realize you’re just looking once again to start an argument. Oysters are designed from the original drawing board to have a robust davit system which hangs low off the stern for a large dinghy.

Nah, just reading your post dismissing others who have crap on de back seemed a direct contradiction to your argument for carrying a large dinghy and large outboard on the stern. Don't you have a center console dinghy with a 40hp outboard? Most of those boats you are knocking are carrying a small dinghy on davits with a small outboard moved to the stern rail. Relative to the size of the boat, probably a lot less than you carry.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 08:15   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i love it when folks hang stuff on boats and build to sun the arches and whatnots then tell me i have too much on deck of a heavy displacement cruiser with jerry jugs securely stowed and a dink on my coachhouse.
each of us has a method... some methods are madness but it is the owners job to learn what that madness truly is. some knock down some get pooped but we all learn our lessons.
we get either too much wind or not enough wind...and sometimes a short hop to catalina from san diego is enough to lose a dinghy to pooping seas.
is a coin toss even with weather prediction so easy. i think easy causes complacency which causes over loading topsides.
my answer to the pooped seawolf that lost its dinghy(was a friend) is to make sure the davits i want are more appropriately fitted to boat so i can lose all transom instead of the ss tube style davit fold.
i never did see benefit to having motorboat arches on a sailing boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote