Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2019, 08:46   #61
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Is This a Disturbing Trend, or Not.

there is a great equalizer that occurs each and every summer. it is called hurricane season.
after cane season we will see who is remaining, radar arch and all.....
this life is grande.
mother nature is the best equalizer and equipment thief.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 12:46   #62
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Impressive winds. Just curious, but what sort of speed do you think the gusts are topping out at? I wonder if that one boat showing bare bimini frames took his canvas down beforehand or had it taken down for him!
Regarding the Bora winds off Croatia, the winds aren't continuous which creates the problem. It comes at you in 30-60mph gusts lasting sometimes several minutes, then dies down, then again comes blasting at you almost instantly. The winds are funneled down canyons along the coast coming from inland. I've seen sailboats heeled way over in anchorages without their sails raised just on bare poles.

Chances are, the boats in the video had their canvas removed ahead of time in anticipation of the winds. Where we leave our boat in Italy over the winter, owners aren't allowed to keep any canvas up during the off-season.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 15:15   #63

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

In my opinion, it is no problem to hang a dinghy on davits on the stern of large enough yachts. Commercial sailing ships have done this for 2 centuries. In really bad weather, sometimes they lashed the dinghy upside down on top of the davits or placed it on deck.

If the dinghy is 6 feet above water it takes quite a wave to destroy it. In theory in any case, a wave would lift the stern, rather than hitting the dinghy I have skippered a vessel that was set up this way, without ever encountering any problems. And that was in the North Sea and North Atlantic. But of course, fully crewed and always hand steered.

Lots of toys everywhere is a different thing. But, if you are not planning on an ocean crossing, why not?

Personally, I keep my boat completely clean on all passages. Dinghy is rolled up and stowed under deck, so are outboards and all other loose items. Mostly because of habit I think.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 05:31   #64

I am the owner of the boat Once Around pictured in the OP post. That picture was taken in late 2012 while we were over in Trinidad. We then took the boat over to the Med. We've been sailing the eastern med for the last 5 years. Crossed the med several times, spent 3 months sailing the black sea, then 6 months sailing the red sea. I would like to respond to some of the coments made.
The arch is anodized aluminum not stainless steel. My paserelle is 1/2 of an alum
extension ladder w/a piece of 1/4 inch plywood screwed on to it. Pick it up with one hand, weight--- maybe 20 lbs.
When out to sea everything is lashed down. Sometimes we lash down the the dinghy on the foredeck, depends no distance and weather forecast. As for wind, we have never been knocked down or draged onto a leeshore.
You sail your boat, I'll sail mine. Regards Russ
russ jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 07:38   #65

Boat: Morgan 382

Amen!
mud bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 08:15   #66

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Regarding the Bora winds off Croatia, the winds aren't continuous which creates the problem. It comes at you in 30-60mph gusts lasting sometimes several minutes, then dies down, then again comes blasting at you almost instantly. The winds are funneled down canyons along the coast coming from inland. I've seen sailboats heeled way over in anchorages without their sails raised just on bare poles.

Chances are, the boats in the video had their canvas removed ahead of time in anticipation of the winds. Where we leave our boat in Italy over the winter, owners aren't allowed to keep any canvas up during the off-season.
Checking your video , the problem are not the winds but the ports in Greece at least most of them are not set correctly to offer proper protection and you can see that when even the ferry can't dock or has hard time to do .
People tend to overload the boats or putting to much stuff hagging because they haven't been in a big storm yet and most of the are new generations sailors (not real sailors yet)
I used to have my boat loaded like that it took 40 knots.of wind to realize that less is better, even when comes to solar .
Anyway most of the sailors not even try to sail in bad conditions or they consider 25 knots bad, so they are safe even with unseaworthy boats .
P.S it still a personal choice .... I choose to have the boat light with as less windage as possible ... I choose to sail with a small boat that others consider unsafe as well.
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 08:31   #67

I think many out there ARE just relying on luck and weather timing. Todays "cruising boat":
Keel bolted on to thin hull, big rudder with no support, marginal rigging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overloadboat.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	190769  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 08:57   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Is This a Disturbing Trend, or Not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think many out there ARE just relying on luck and weather timing. Todays "cruising boat":
Keel bolted on to thin hull, big rudder with no support, marginal rigging.

So, what makes this boat overloaded? The three panels? The davits or The fenders?
If your boats righting moment is so critical that a couple of hundred lbs level with the Bimini reduces stability by much, then it’s either a tiny lightweight boat, or wasn’t stable to begin with.

Now I won’t argue that all this “stuff” increases windage and reduces performance somewhat to windward, but nothing is free, everything has consequences.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 14:21   #69

A lot of the boats on last years puddle jump went loaded with kayaks,dingy's on davits,numerous jerry cans lashed on deck etc etc. They all made it just fine and got to watch me needing to inflate my dingy in Virgins Bay while they got to suck down a few Hinano's and clap.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 15:26   #70

Boat: Volkscruiser

As a marine surveyor I threw my idea of seaworthiness out of the window years ago. It seems to me if it floats and goes forward that’s enough for some people. I am sure there must be an element of luck as well in what some people sail offshore in.
Certainly some boats I survey should have a pair of these nailed to the transom.
https://www.yournutz.com/
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 16:35   #71
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is This a Disturbing Trend, or Not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ jones View Post
I am the owner of the boat Once Around pictured in the OP post. That picture was taken in late 2012 while we were over in Trinidad. We then took the boat over to the Med. We've been sailing the eastern med for the last 5 years. Crossed the med several times, spent 3 months sailing the black sea, then 6 months sailing the red sea. I would like to respond to some of the coments made.
The arch is anodized aluminum not stainless steel. My paserelle is 1/2 of an alum
extension ladder w/a piece of 1/4 inch plywood screwed on to it. Pick it up with one hand, weight--- maybe 20 lbs.
When out to sea everything is lashed down. Sometimes we lash down the the dinghy on the foredeck, depends no distance and weather forecast. As for wind, we have never been knocked down or draged onto a leeshore.
You sail your boat, I'll sail mine. Regards Russ
Prep your boat right and sail in favorable seasons and your good to go..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 15:44   #72

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Prep your boat right and sail in favorable seasons and your good to go..
Or don't prep your boat right! Any washed overboard flotsam from a typical cruiser's vessel will at worst be a mere bump in the night for our boat, at best something to grab with the boat hook and use for trade goods at another port.

Hey! A kayak even without paddles is still good for, say, a sixpack of beer or even dinner for two!
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 15:51   #73
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

I'm just following this thread to see the picture of the 80 lb poodle.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 17:19   #74

I've heard the term 'fair weather sailors' ….. does this apply here?
captainwd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 19:01   #75

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Any comments on this?

I know that sailing in Mexico is easy (generally) and some other places in the world, with light winds, sunny skies, and flat water, most of the time.

But more often than not I see cruising boats which are not prepared for tough conditions.

Even here a crossing to La Paz or a rounding of Cabo Corrientes can turn nasty.

What happens to the boat in Photo 2 if they have to go where the boat in photo 1 is going?

Do we all have to have two kayaks, two SUP's, a rigid dingy on the back, not to mention a deck full of jerry cans, and an 80lb poodle on board who can't poo except ashore?

Are our sailor friends just depending on luck or are they ignorant of the possibility, or what?
Just because they have a boat doesn't mean they are doing things the safe and easy way.
I agree there are a lot of floating storage bins on the water.
I say the sea and weather will sort them out sooner or later..insurance companies love these sort of custumers.
Same with tenders hanging of the stern. ..I mentioned in a previous post that a wave climbing up from the rear might just rip of your 2000$ inflatable.
I got about a dozend replies that something like that is nonsense. ..you figure it out
Speaking from my limited sailing experience ( 140k miles )We got dumped three times with the deck 2ft under water, cleaned the deck of dodger, jerry cans and bent the railing.
Thats on a 47ft yacht.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote