Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2022, 00:52   #16

Re: Is this a good first boat?

What’s not to like a boat you don’t have to work on priceless
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 00:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby tug View Post
What’s not to like a boat you don’t have to work on priceless

There's no such thing.

However, there's something to be said for a boat that you don't have to totally rehab before you can sail it.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:25   #18

There it is, someone had to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Although Pacific Seacraft makes a great boat, I think for $69,000, you can buy something larger and just as good.
Small is beautiful.

Could actually trailer her to Baja or Florida if desired, no oversize permits required.

All ready to go, if as well maintained as it appears IMO a better bargain would not be easy to find nearby.

OP made no mention of the price being an issue anyway, she may be well within their budget.

Plus, the easy future resale if a bigger boat is desired really cancels the upfront cost out, might even make a nominal profit if selling in the right time and place.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:53   #19

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

If you like the boat and even think that you may want to buy her, you should put her under contract with a deposit immediately. In this market, good boats like this one are being bought up within weeks or even days of being listed.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:01   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

The only problem I see with this boat being your first is the damage you may cause to it as you learn.

That boat is in very good shape and is very well built, but it will pain you if say you slam into the dock when getting it into your slip.

(and) With the keel it has, it won't be the easiest boat to dock until you get the hang of it.

Sometimes dealing with the sails when you are inexperienced can also cause wear and tear.

I've had lots of boats both power and sail but this old Bristol 27 I bought in 2011 is the first I have had that I kept in a slip or at a dock, and it's the first one with any sort of decent draft.

I've damaged a few docks with it, hit nearby boats, run it aground a few times but since I got it for little money ($2,000) it didn't bother me.

Also as a single hander, docking gets interesting.

Even now I'll come in slowly and let the boat slide along the finger pier with attached fender to slow me down before I jump off and secure the boat.

There are scratches along the bow that show this. I usually repair/touch up all damage when I have the boat pulled so I can do the bottom about once every 4 years.

Speed wise on paper the Dana 24 is about the same speed as my boat, but when the breeze is up, you should be able to break the 7 knot barrier.

Mine may be a tad faster now though since I removed about 400 lbs worth of engine, prop, fuel tank, copper fuel line, etc, etc (related equipment). It's sitting quite high in the water these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0639 (5).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	254300   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0646 (4).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	254301  

Name:	B27 Stern.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	254302   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00826.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	254303  

Name:	DSC00818.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	254304   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	254305  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:49   #21

Anybody can speculate on why Dana's aren't equipped with roller furling?
Whiteoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:54   #22

Yeah it's a bit high on my budget. I would need to sell some investments for cash. Was also looking at Island Packet 27's. The fact that they're referred to as Island Piggies was a pretty big turn off..

“To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... "cruising" it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about."
Old 12-03-2022, 06:55   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteoil View Post
Anybody can say why these boats don't have roller furlers?
They do have roller furling just not the boat you are looking at.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:00   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
They do have roller furling just not the boat you are looking at.
Neither does this one...
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...na-24-7967114/

Really don't relish the idea of being on deck on a 24ft boat if I don't have to. Kind of figured they were equipped to operate everything from the cockpit on such a small vessel.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:02   #25

Quote:
Yeah it's a bit high on my budget. I would need to sell some investments for cash. Was also looking at Island Packet 27's. The fact that they're referred to as Island Piggies was a pretty big turn off..

“To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... "cruising" it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about."
The Island Packet 27 although slow is faster than the Dana 24 according to New England PHRF.

Island Packet 27 (displacement 8000 lbs) PHRF 234

Dana 24 (displacement 8000 lbs) PHRF 240

Bristol 27 (displacement 6600 lbs) PHRF 240

Express 27 (displacement 2450 lbs) PHRF 141

J/30 (displacement 7000 lbs) PHRF 144

Yankee 30 PHRF 180 or less

http://www.phrfne.org/page/handicapping/base_handicaps

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988/yankee-30-3657371

Remember all monohulls are slow so keep that in mind.

BTW one of the Moderators on here had a Yankee 30 so if you have questions he can help..but it looks like they made 3 different models.

You can get a small fast boat but when the weather/breeze gets up they can be hard to handle whereas the Dana 24 or IP 27 will take care of you.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/da...cific-seacraft

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/island-packet-27

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/bristol-27

Capsize ratio says Dana is more seaworthy as is a Bristol 27 (capsize screening formula)
Old 12-03-2022, 07:45   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
There it is, someone had to do it.

Small is beautiful.

Could actually trailer her to Baja or Florida if desired, no oversize permits required.

All ready to go, if as well maintained as it appears IMO a better bargain would not be easy to find nearby.

OP made no mention of the price being an issue anyway, she may be well within their budget.

Plus, the easy future resale if a bigger boat is desired really cancels the upfront cost out, might even make a nominal profit if selling in the right time and place.

Can we get a little realistic here? The op is talking about sailing south through the canal and to the Caribbean on a 24ft. $69,000 boat. All that bling on that little boat is not going to make it any more comfortable bobbing around out their. While sailing down the west coast and a bit offshore, I was caught between two tropical depressions with 45+knots of wind and 18ft. seas on an Ingrid 38. A 26,000 lb. full keel locomotive. I was still being launched off waves and crashing down in troughs. It wasn't fun and I sure as hell would not have wanted to be out there in a 24ft. boat.
I am assuming the op lives up around the Seattle area. So I will just posts a few boats that, for the money might be a better choice...

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...sloop-8049269/
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...la-38-7276473/
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...37-ct-7855039/
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...sloop-8047992/
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:38   #27

Beautiful, well cared for. Can't comment on the price though, you'll need to do your research to determine if it is over-priced even considering the condition, or not. If you're just getting into sailing then it would be a good way to gain confidence and skills. However I'd agree that you'll be wanting for more space if this turns into a long term home. That Tayana 37 with that beautiful canoe stern could take you anywhere on Earth and you'll already have $10-15k for necessary repairs right off the bat.
mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:52   #28

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I only listed one of the three Tayana 37's up in that area. Some were cheaper. I do agree that a small boat to learn on is the way to go. That being said, I learned to sail on a McGreger 21 which I purchased for $1600. Used it for 2 years and sold it for the same price.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:09   #29

Boat: Nor'West 33

I agree with Celestialsailor the price is quite high, from what I’ve seen Seacraft Yacht Sales listings often are, but disagree you need a bigger boat.

Only you can answer that one. A big factor would be how likely are you to have people on board with you for more than a day or two. Then it’s not just your tolerances but that of others. Another would be my experience that it’s far easier to learn on a 24 than, say, a 38!

I certainly wouldn’t pay that price for it, almost no way in this age you’d recoup most of it if you did decide to go bigger down the road. Maybe pick a number, make an offer, and make sure they know you’re actively looking so it’ may go away?
Old 12-03-2022, 09:20   #30

Quote:
Neither does this one...
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...na-24-7967114/

Really don't relish the idea of being on deck on a 24ft boat if I don't have to. Kind of figured they were equipped to operate everything from the cockpit on such a small vessel.
I found a few online that do. Do a search on goggle.

Also if you are going to single hand (a monohull) I believe you definitely need roller furling and an autopilot.

I have to go to the mast to raise the main and to reef so my autopilots are a priority. I do wish I had a wind vane autopilot though instead of my two electric ones

I usually raise the main while motoring out my creek with the autopilot steering.

My autopilot is doing the steering here and you can hear it correcting course at the beginning of this video if you have the sound up. Main halyard is fouled and roller furling is jammed so instead of messing with it then I sailed the boat all the way home (4 hours) then after entering my creek I went forward, uncleated the halyard, then to the bow and pulled the jib down all the way

Tags
boat