Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2022, 07:20   #61

Re: Is this a good first boat?

My first was an old Hunter 27 Cherubini design. Fiberglass was really thick in some spots and then you could see daylight through other spots. Very tender in the wind. And the 1 cylinder 8hp Yanmar was always reliable but didn't help much in strong currents or heavy winds!

The Dana is a full keel w/ some heft to it and would be a great starter boat if you're adventurous and serious about long distance coastal cruising. Personally, I have found it a bit easier to singlehand larger boats as they steer more true in a breeze, a bit more control at the dock, and obviously more space = more amenities. Also more maintenance and more $$. But if you're seriously going to get on the water soon, waiting for the right boat and feedback from all of us armchair quarterbacks may have you waiting until it's too late. Go sailing! Now!
proudsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 08:42   #62

Pacific Seacrafts are well built boats. One of my first boats was a Flicka. They’re old though, so a survey is essential even if it looks great to you. My surveyor found quite a few voids in the fiberglass. Nothing he was worried about, but it’s something that you’ll find in older boats and you may want to deal them. PS’s are like weebles. They wobble but they don’t fall down. Even the smallest has circumnavigated. They have a big following so you’ll meet all sorts of folks just because they want to take a look at your boat.
Laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 08:44   #63

Nice boat, but in a small craft I woul prefer the Fischer 25 with an enclosed wheelhouse.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 09:09   #64

Boat: 1990 Island Packet 32

Great boat!
Put your deposit down, schedule your survey, and go sailing!
Hope to see you on the Salish sea this summer and on the Sea of Cortez next winter.
https://youtu.be/Sq-fGPlzJWk
Old 18-03-2022, 10:57   #65

Boat: J-Boats, J-27

Sailed with a friend who owned one years ago, and they liked the boat. I thought it a bit ‘broachey’ in a breeze. But you may appreciate the shallow draft if you plan to ‘go south’.
But yes, plan ob a slow and deliberate cruise. Engine a bit under powered as well, as I recall. Think he added a folding prop to his…
JMaav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 11:39   #66
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteoil View Post
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...na-24-8226330/

I know she's small and slow, but figured I might be single handing quite a bit. Also if you go with buying the previous owner's maintenance she looks spotless. Also maybe I can get her a few thousand cheaper.

Should I go for it? They're decent little boats. I would sail down the west coast maybe eventually going through the canal and into the Caribbean. I mean no idea how far I'd make it but it would be fun to try and get some experience. As of now I only have a few thousand NM miles doing the english channel, coastal Europe and Bahamas as crew.. but I really want to take on the role as the mentally questionable captain.

Give me some encouragement to go for it.. i already know all the reasons why I shouldn't.
From everything I have read over the years the Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 is a good boat...you are the one to determine if the price is right. She is a bit short for me but I have seen any number of happy sailors in small boats...it is your attitude that is important. I believe she will get you where you want to go if treated properly and the captain is patient. Equip her properly for an offshore voyage and plan in detail.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 12:06   #67

Boat: Bristol 27

Most small full keel sailboats will get you where you want to go but to spend nearly $70,000 for one especially as a first boat doesn't seem like the best idea.

Maybe $10,000- $30,000 max.

Plus you can get so much more boat for half the price of that Dana 24.

There's a guy at our marina that has a very nice Pacific Seacraft 36. (similar to the photo attached)

He is still trying to sell the Nor'Sea 27 he bought first though and needs to get like $50,000 for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-24-11_craig.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	254589  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 13:44   #68

Boat: Hans Christian 38 MkII

Buy it! Don't look back. The Dana 24 is a treasure of a boat. As a previous owner of a Nor'sea 27 and a Hans Christian 38, I can tell you that boat is right up thete with them. I came dangerously close to buy a Dana and if I was 15 years younger I would have beat you to it. I had to go to the dark side and bought a pocket trawler instead. You won't regret it.
searenity38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 14:09   #69

Boat: Catalina 30

No direct experience with Seacraft but my dock neighbor has one. Very nautical looking. It appears the boat you are looking at is in great shape but we are only judging by pictures. The price seems very high to me but I havent shopped for Seacrafts.

So here are my thoughts on your first boat. You dont know if you will like sailing. It is not always sunshine calm seas and bikinis. But i like sailing and you might too.

Consider getting your experience on a less expensive boat like a Catalina 27. Learn to sail dock and maintain. For single handing I recommend an autopilot and a roller furling head sail. Im not saying to take it down the coast through the canal and to the Caribbean. But some local sailing and shorter trips progressively longer to learn about your likes and abilities and those of the boat.

Then if you decide it is not for you you will not lose so much. And if you do like it and want to upgrade you will be a more informed buyer and can go for your dream boat. And either way the boat will be sellable.
jerryf609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 14:39   #70

Boat: Catalina 30

Good point that he may k ow how to sail. Of course crewing is way diferent from being captain.

Also is it a good FIRST boat not is it a good boat.

He is asking for advice. If he is wealthy a decision a year after purchase to get out of owning a sailboat or a decision that i want a different boat (bigger, lighter heavier whatever) may not matter much if he loses a few grand or 20 grand... whatever.

But if losing that kind of money is a concern if he gets buyer remorse, some of the advice about what might make a better choice for a FIRST boat may be valuable advice.
jerryf609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 14:39   #71

Boat: Malo 37

In my opinion, as long it has been well maintained, you can’t go wrong with a Pacific Seacraft. The Dana is a lovely, seaworthy little boat.
alop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 14:48   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by alop37 View Post
In my opinion, as long it has been well maintained, you can’t go wrong with a Pacific Seacraft. The Dana is a lovely, seaworthy little boat.
Key word is little boat ........for a big boat price

Now this is a real blue water boat. Fast also plus it will point and is under $30,000

It makes a Dana 24 look like an inner tube some kid is playing on the beach with.

But the engine is ancient and may need to be replaced but still way under what that Dana would cost.

Wauquiez Gladiator 33 ( PHRF 132-138)

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...iator-8162009/
Old 18-03-2022, 14:57   #73

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryf609 View Post
Good point that he may k ow how to sail. Of course crewing is way diferent from being captain.

Also is it a good FIRST boat not is it a good boat.

He is asking for advice. If he is wealthy a decision a year after purchase to get out of owning a sailboat or a decision that i want a different boat (bigger, lighter heavier whatever) may not matter much if he loses a few grand or 20 grand... whatever.

But if losing that kind of money is a concern if he gets buyer remorse, some of the advice about what might make a better choice for a FIRST boat may be valuable advice.
Yes, it's almost like it is a trick question. It is a LOT of money for a first boat--unless you have big bucks to play with. Is it a good first boat? well, it is a good enough boat, but how can strangers know how it will suit a particular person? Maybe a trick question?

Some people really enjoy pocket cruisers, and one can certainly do things with one that you cannot do with the more common choice of a larger boat; and there are advantages to keeping it small and simple, particularly in regards to the maintenance of electronics. One's own life stance and experience has a whole lot to do with what boat one might want.

Ann
Old 18-03-2022, 15:05   #74

Boat: Malo 37

Yes, Pacific Seacraft boats are not cheap. It is because quality of material and workmanship are superior to many other boats. At the end of the day, it is a personal decision as to how much one likes the classic design and what they are willing or able to pay.
alop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 15:10   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by alop37 View Post
Yes, Pacific Seacraft boats are not cheap. It is because quality of material and workmanship are superior to many other boats. At the end of the day, it is a personal decision as to how much one likes the classic design and what they are willing or able to pay.
Yes that's all very nice but since the Dana 24 has the same rating as my Bristol 27 that I paid $2,000 for it probably wouldn't make the owner to happy that in many conditions my boat can out perform his

And has a slightly better Capsize Screening formula and probably AVS meaning it's slightly more seaworthy

Plus my engine (outboard) is a 2011 which is much newer than the 1996 diesel on the Dana.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/bristol-27

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/da...cific-seacraft

Tags
boat